The day of the follows or.....

fishnsled

Hello everyone! It's been a little while, just been way too busy.

This past weekend I had a chance to get one of my co-workers out for a day of muskie fishing. Weather was great as was the company. The day started off a bit slow but as the surface temperature climbed a bit the fish started to get a bit more active. I had a couple of follows of some smaller sized muskies, had them chasing the bait as I did a figure 8 or a big oval. They would eventually just swim away. Then a nice one followed up to the boat, about 40"+ and just sat there. Wouldn't chase the bait, just gave up and sat there for a minute or so and swam away. We went back over the area we were fishing with a one of us using a slower presentation and the other a faster one. Raised 2 fish, of which one we were pretty sure was one of the earlier ones but no hook ups.

We decide to take a break for some lunch, had a couple of sandwiches and some coffee. That's when it all came to light as to why the fish were not biting. Steve reached into to the lunch bag and pulls out a couple of banana's and asks me if I want one. :w00t: I promptly tell him you can't bring banana's on a boat, it's bad luck, he had no idea. I figured the damage was done so we ate them and carried on fishing. A total of 7 muskie follows and one nice bucket chasing the bait but nothing boated for the day.

Now I'm not really all that big on rituals or superstitions but after seeing what happened to us last weekend I'm beginnning to wonder. How about you, do you bring banana's on your boat or not? Where did this superstition start anyways? Will there be banana's on my boat in the future? Probably not! LOL!

Have a safe weekend everyone!

Bananas? So...bly and I shouldn't bring any the first weekend of November? What about Banana muffins??LOL.

I've heard a few stories about bananas....one that sticks to mind doesn't really have to do with fishing...but with boats in general.

Something about some rather unfriendly, posionous snakes, spiders and insects used to accompany them on large vessels importing them to markets....and people dying or getting sick.

Too bad on the day...at least you saw lots of them....you knew they were there....half the times we fish we're not even sure if there is any fish where we are....haha.

YOU CAN'T BRING BANANAS ON THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!! something i learned this summer BAAAAAAAAAAAAD IDEA.....i actually wouldn't let one of my guests bring it on the boat and he left it at the dock and wouldn't you know it we had a great day.....thank god i was thinkin ahead tho! One of the other guides had a lucky can of beans that nobody was allowed to touch....it stayed in his cup holder all summer and he caught the most trophies!!! But as far as im concerned bananas stay home!

Hawk

My brother, Joonmoon, and I were talking about the banana in the boat jinx earlier in the summer when it was a topic here on OFC. We were taking a kayak trip down the Grand river with our cousin from Alberta and my buddy the Shipper. Now the Shipper shuns all physical exercise and wouldn't paddle a kayak.

3yakkers.jpg

So Joonmoon sneaks up behind him and throws a banana in his Sportspal when he wasn't looking. What happens?

shipsm.jpg

He catches the best fish of the day.

Reminds me of when I took an Asian friend deep sea fishing on a party boat off the Florida coast. Soon after we got on the boat some crotchety older woman kept shouting out "who brought the banana". My friend was getting visibly angry. Apparently "banana" is a term for Asians who were more North American than, in his case, Chinese...."yellow on the outside, white on the inside". Man was he miffed at this woman, until I pointed out the literal banana on the bench beside her and explained the whole "banana in the boat superstition"

Before i even leave the dock i ask all my clients ...does anyone have Bananas in there lunch Bag ...if they do they stay on shore or i don't leave the dock ... :thumbsup_anim:...but i have had days when a guy will pull a bag of Bananas and before i found that out fishing really did suck ...some days you see lots of the yellow things floating on Lake Ont ...

Edited by Fishmaster

One thing I noticed this year after seeing and loosing more follows than I've ever seen was that my bow mount trolling motor scared them away, I didn't catch one musky all year that came withing 2 feet of the boat, finally realized why they were swimming away and it was the motor for sure so I started turning it off half way through a cast so it's off making no nose when the musky is close and it seems to be workin, and no bananas either.

Edited by GbayGiant

Joonmoon....lol...banana terrorism/sabotage! My buddy Dave brought a whole bunch of bananas one fishing trip this summer. It was at a lake we were told was swarming with walleye, we just about skunked save for a few small walleye. Half way through a day of some of the poorest walleye fishing ihave had...Dave produced a bunch of bananas at lunch...he thought i was crazy when i started yellin``why did you bring those!!` he had never heard of it before. We went back to that lake 2 weeks later and pretty much hammered walleye for an hour or so....dunnoif bananas made the difference though.