Another Day At The Office

solopaddler

It's such a game of timing.

Based on the water flow graphs I figured it would be dicey, but definitely worth a shot as it would be right on the cusp of being fishable.

In preparation humongous roe bags were tied, toonie sized and larger, all in charteuse.

In really stained water I prefer to use oversized chartreuse coloured bags and run a tag of hot pink yarn on the hook.

For whatever reason the fish seem to like the two-tone contrast..

Floats are bumped up to the 15 gram range as tons of larger shot and longer leads are needed to deal with the water volume and to get the bait down where it needs to be.

No need to finesse fish in these conditions, fluoro is a waste of money. 6lb Maxima Ultragreen for tippet at an absolute minimum.

Water temps are still somewhat warm, the fishes metabolism is high, and with this much water flow the battles were long and epic...

The day dawned clear and cold, in fact yesterday was the first frost I've seen this year.

The muck was frozen and the shallow puddles had a thin skim of ice as we picked our way along the path to the river. Nice to see finally, but a bit nippy on the fingertips 'till the sun finally peaked over the treetops and warmed up the valley.

My adavance prediction was tough sledding until about noon.

With the water dropping and clearing throughout the day, and the sun warming the water I figured conditions would improve as the day went on. Turned out I was right :) .

We started at 7am with maybe 4 inches of visibility.

Almost imperceptably the river was clearing though and at 11am I finally hit my first fish: a feisty 7lb buck.

Fall2008Steelhead003.jpg

After that it was game on.

Here's a few more pic's from yeaterdays action:

Fall2008Steelhead008.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead009.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead010.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead011.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead012.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead014.jpg

Don't be fooled by the seemingly clear water in this next pic. The main flow was incredibly stained....

Fall2008Steelhead015.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead017.jpg

Fall2008Steelhead006.jpg

The only downside to the day was the turmoil my buddy Fergie was enduring.

He didn't have the greatest day yesterday, his head just wasn't into it.

His dad's in the hospital at the moment and not doing too well. In fact right around 2:30 when things were really starting to pick up he answered his phone, talked for a bit, and just like that our day was over.

It was his sis calling asking him to please come to the hospital asap...

I'm pretty sure I suceeded in relieving at least some of his stress yesterday and that's all that matters, and really, that was the objective anyway.

Cheers, Mike

Great post Mike, I went out to the Notty on Sunday and got skunked along with about a half dozen other local anglers. Almost everyone was scratching their heads as some had told me the past friday and saturday (the day before) was hot and one mentioned he had 16 bows (not sure if all were landed). But the same set up on Sunday didn't even get a tap.

I've got to get some lessons from you sometime.

Stan :D

Great post Mike, I went out to the Notty on Sunday and got skunked along with about a half dozen other local anglers. Almost everyone was scratching their heads as some had told me the past friday and saturday (the day before) was hot and one mentioned he had 16 bows (not sure if all were landed). But the same set up on Sunday didn't even get a tap.

I've got to get some lessons from you sometime.

Stan :D

They're about to get monsoon rains up there today and tomorrow which should spread fish out throughout the system.

The Notty has been fishing well, even ths past weekend, but low down in the river.

Not too much happening above Monty's (until this weekend :) )

Great report as usual Solopaddler and some nice fish there. I read this board for inspiration and your reports certainly fit the bill. Pretty gutsy of your friend to fish under those circumstances, I probably couldn't have. Hopeful thoughts for him.

BTW, what size netting do you use to tie those tooney sized bags. I can't find netting large enough and I usually end up popping a few eggs. Makes for a messy job.

BTW, what size netting do you use to tie those tooney sized bags. I can't find netting large enough and I usually end up popping a few eggs. Makes for a messy job.

Mostly scarfing cut any size you wish.

Yesterday I was using large pre cut squares of some kind of mesh, about twice the size of spawnee netting.

Have no idea who makes it, but I bought it at Kingsway in Guelph last year.

I got to say ......your an amazing angler and have way more talent and skills then most paid pro's/tv host's combined.

I'm amazed at all your post's here going back to /06 .......Brilliant stuff :clapping:

Not kissing ass here, just giving credit where credit is due..

Keep'em coming.....

Streamerguy

I got to say ......your an amazing angler and have way more talent and skills then most paid pro's/tv host's combined.

I'm amazed at all your post's here going back to /06 .......Brilliant stuff :clapping:

Not kissing ass here, just giving credit where credit is due..

Keep'em coming.....

Streamerguy

Is that you mom? C'mon it's gotta be! :D