Beginning Baitcasting Reels

MCTFisher9120

I have heard that several people on the board this year have just got baitcast reels or are just starting out using a baitcast outfit. What are some of the reels that you would reccomend for a starting baitcaster. It is my misson to get a baitcast rod and reel in the next month or so and i would love to have a little imput.

I am looking at the following:

Abu Garcia RevoSX Low-Profile Baitcast Reel

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Shimano Curado E Low-Profile Baitcast Reel

Abu Garcia Revo STX Low-Profile Baitcast Reel

I want to mainly use the reel for bass, using softplastics, spinnerbaits, dingers, and anything else....so something versatile, so please make any further suggestions on another reel.

:D

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Let the chaos ensue!!!!! I am a fan of Shimano reels, I've owned a Citica 100DSV, which was absolutely flawless.... never had a problem always could count on it. I recently upgraded to a Calais 200, completely difference beast, this thing is at the top of it's class.. I've never used a Curado, but have heard nothing but good things about them. The Abu Revo's also have a very good reputation, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Abu or the Shimano.

While Shimano is my top choice for reels, I cant say enough good things about that Daiwa Megaforce.I got one this spring and have used it or smallmouth bass fishing all year and I really like it. It was $59 USD and as far as I'm concerned you can't find a better baitcast reel for the money. It's probably the easiest baitcast reel I've used, great for a beginner.

daiwa-megaforce-reel.jpg

Edited by mepps

The new Curado looks like a nice/good reel. I do love My Daiwa viento (cast plastic a mile), The advantage hstal is a great reel, cheapest price is LeBaron. The revo sx I like it, but it's not for me. I have 2 Daiwa tierras that are well built, cast smooth and very quiet. Make sure you get something that balances your rod.

Daniel

MIke.....

Looks like you picked a few good ones as a first reel. My first BC reel was actually a combo that I picked up for about $65......and I hated it. I almost gave up on BC reels altogether and then I got talked into a Curado 200 DHSV........its a push to get me to use anything else now....meaning I use the BC more than my other stuff. Spending a little extra makes all the difference in the world IMHO. I havent tried any of the others so I cant speak for them but I LOVE my Curado!

My 2 cents

The Abu's are very touchy on their braking system. I recently had and sold a Abu Premier (top of the line) I could not get used to the braking system. Soft platiscs and the wacky worm did it in. For heavier wieght it work well., spinnerbaits etc etc.

I have a Curado E5 coming I have heard good things about them.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums

Check out this forum, lots of good info.

Jose

I am a fan of Shimano reels, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Abu or the Shimano.
Shimano all the way dude!
The new Curado looks like a nice/good reel.

Daniel

I almost gave up on BC reels altogether and then I got talked into a Curado 200 DHSV........its a push to get me to use anything else now....meaning I use the BC more than my other stuff. Spending a little extra makes all the difference in the world IMHO. I havent tried any of the others so I cant speak for them but I LOVE my Curado!
I too got a bait caster this year. It takes some practice to use, but once you get the hang of it you will be happy. I got a shimano. I too am a fan of shimano.
My vote is for the Shimano Curado. Cant go wrong.
I have a Curado E5 coming I have heard good things about them.

I am pretty sure of the reel i am getting now lol, since i got a job set up i should have my reel/rod, and my other BPS items ready for order within a month....keep the reviews on reels coming but im pretty confident in my choice of the New Shimano Curado.

Thanks guys :D

While I'm sure the Curado is worth the money I'd second the diawa's. I got a Cabelas prodigy (rebranded Daiwa advantage) last year after having troubles figuring out baitcasters and that reel changed my mind about them - smooth and backlash free (ok mostly backlash free). One thing - if your first time with a bait caster is for light stuff like senko's/worms you may be in for some frustrations. Things like cranks and spinner baits I found are much nicer to learn on before tackling the light stuff.

Enjoy the purchase - any new weapon in the arsenal is always a plus right :)

Best thingto do is buy a cheap 50 -100 dollar reel and live with the frustration for a feww months, then borrow a friends currado and you will never look back. If you start out with a currado you will be sorely disapointed with everything else and you may not be able to truly indulge in the greatness that the curado offers.

Having said that Abu does make some relaly solid reels, as doesn diawa, but I have never met anyone that has had issues with a curado.

For example I have a 200dhsv on a quantum IM7 MH rod and I have cast a weightless senko with no backlash futher than my friend can cast a spinner bait with his 300 dollar johny morris.

He borrowed my currado for two casts and he now has 3 curados.

I'd go with the new currado or if you dont want to spend that much diawa's are pretty resonably priced and work really nice also very user friendly but dont forget your rod selection is very important when learning how to use a baitcaster i went through 3 different rod trying to learn and i found the easiest to learn on for me was a 7ft medium heavy fast action. good luck and don't get discourged after a few birds nest.

buy the best reel you can afford. nothing more frustrating than trying to learn on a crappy baitcaster. quantum, daiwa make some good low-profile reels too but the curado is as popular as it is for a reason.

luvlunkers has the right idea. a 7' mh combo is pretty ideal for bass/pike. load it with thicker diameter line, at least 12-14-even 17lb mono or 30lb-50lb braid - at least to start, it will make your life easier learning to use it. thicker line is easier to cast (and untangle :D )

it'll take you a while to get good enough to throw weightless plastics so keep a spinning rod handy.. everything has a purpose and you might find a spinning setup works better for you in this instance. for everything else, it will become your goto setup.

Edited by Raf

I started on, still use, and love my Team Daiwa Advantage 150H. I don't know that any retail stores are still carrying it, but I've seen it for sale online quite a bit - I'm already looking at a second Daiwa reel (Viento or megaforce 100tshl).

Whatever baitcaster you go with, you may want to start with a higher lb-test (14 atleast) mono - a lot easier to untangle when you have the inevitable backlash while you're learning.

Good luck!

B

tda150h.jpg

Edited by Bicephalic

While Shimano is my top choice for reels, I cant say enough good things about that Daiwa Megaforce.I got one this spring and have used it or smallmouth bass fishing all year and I really like it. It was $59 USD and as far as I'm concerned you can't find a better baitcast reel for the money. It's probably the easiest baitcast reel I've used, great for a beginner.

daiwa-megaforce-reel.jpg

Is the twitchin' bar all it's cracked up to be?

The 2009 Curado's are more refined than this years version and lighter but the important part is picking the reel that will give you consistent casts and control so don't buy a cheap version and trade up buy the one that works.

Ameteurs and pros alike use the Curado. There's great reason for that.

The pros are sponsored by the reel makers, and strictly from a marketing stand point this draws in the customers.

I agree with Raf, Buy the best you can afford. It only hurts once.

It is a matter of personal comfort in the long run.

I have been using Ambassadeur 5500's, 6500's and 7000's C3 models for over 40 years, and still use them today. These reels have caught their share of bass, pike, musky and salomonids over the years.

You have been given very good advice, but take your time to choose what you want. Go into a shop, ask to have the reel put on the rod you will be using, it it is comfortable in your hand then you are set. But don't rush, just because someone on the net says reel X is great, it may not suit you. It is your money and investment take your time.

just JOHN

Oh yea

Just look at what just came in. :thumbsup_anim:

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

Putting it up against my Calais, Steez, Conquest 200DC this weekend and see how it does.

Using wacky worms, crankbaits amd spiinerbaits.

Maybe I can still get a salmon off the rocks this year, throwing spoons.

Jose

Edited by jchau53