A wonderful Gift givin to me from someone very special in my life.

nautifish

My grandaddy who had his 81st birthday in June.

Let me tell you this has got to be one of the most precious and beautiful gifts i have ever been givin. May not seem much to some but beleive me when i say this is worth more than any diamond or gold to me.I was overwhelmed when he gave this to me. My grandad has had this Rod since he was a boy. It really is beautiful. The handle is all wood what kind i do not know and the rod is steel. The reel is tiny. I am wondering if we have anyone here that knows much about old antique rods?

I have decided i am going to hang it on the wall in my fishing room. I am just trying to decide where....

This is the rod & reel and it is beautiful.

fishingrod.jpg

This is my fishing room. Still want to add lots more yet. ;D

fishingroom1.jpg

fishingroom2.jpg

fishingroom3.jpg

Edited by nautifish

I may be way off base here, but with the spring steel rod you mentioned, it may be a wire line setup for trolling for lakers(or maybe Musky). The reel seems too small though.

Maybe your grandfather trolled for lakers in shallower water in the spring after ice out with it??

Usually the reels were 9-12" diameter, filled with copper line(yes, I said copper line, still have one around here somewheres spooled with it).

Never saw a rod like that with a wood handle though.

Its a keepsake for sure, find a nice place for it somewhere in your house and do not try to find value in it, it already has it.

It's a thing of beauty that no amount of money will ever replace. Passed on from one pair of caring hands to another.

My son was given his great grandad's reel 2 years back. He cherishes it like gold.

Just think of the stories and adventures that old fishin pole has seen.

I may be way off base here, but with the spring steel rod you mentioned, it may be a wire line setup for trolling for lakers(or maybe Musky). The reel seems too small though.

Maybe your grandfather trolled for lakers in shallower water in the spring after ice out with it??

Usually the reels were 9-12" diameter, filled with copper line(yes, I said copper line, still have one around here somewheres spooled with it).

Never saw a rod like that with a wood handle though.

Its a keepsake for sure, find a nice place for it somewhere in your house and do not try to find value in it, it already has it.

To be honest Tjisa i don't know i never even thought to ask because i was so overwhelmed. My grandaddys memory is not the best but next time were togeather i shall see what i can find out. I have looked to see if there are any kind of stamps or names on the rod and reel but cannot find anything. I took a couple more pictures this evening. This reel really is tiny it only measures 2" in Diameter and is 3ft 6" in Lenght from the tip of the wooden handle to the very tip of the rod.

I would not ever swap this for anything to much sentimental value for me. My grandaddy is the man that got me hooked on fishing since i was knee high to a grasshoper as he would say.

20090201_mpeg_020344.jpg

20090201_mpeg_0201111.jpg

22222222.jpg

Edited by nautifish

What a great gift ... You will remember every moment spent with him and your own moments in time when you look at it...

Your fishing room is amazing, I love all the pictures ... It is beautiful... Well done Tracy!

LOL Jen....Thanx allthough i am thinking i may have to extend to another room.......So much stuff and i am running out of spaces in my den. I just noticed the empty blooming laundry basket on my couch. :oops:

& MY FISHING WALL OF FAME is not in those shots......

As for memories i have plenty i caught my 1st toothy critter with my grandaddy on the Grand actually. I was about 5 or six yrs of age and i remember being scared half to death of it because of the teeth. But was not long before i was holding my 1st ever pike. Some things you just never forget. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Hope you had a great summer hun & thanx again.

LOL Jen....Thanx allthough i am thinking i may have to extend to another room.......So much stuff and i am running out of spaces in my den. I just noticed the empty blooming laundry basket on my couch. :oops:

& MY FISHING WALL OF FAME is not in those shots......

As for memories i have plenty i caught my 1st toothy critter with my grandaddy on the Grand actually. I was about 5 or six yrs of age and i remember being scared half to death of it because of the teeth. But was not long before i was holding my 1st ever pike. Some things you just never forget. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Hope you had a great summer hun & thanx again.

It has truly been an amazing summer for me... Lots of personal bests and memories made with my kids and family... I love beating my brother in fishing competitions... Right now it is duck and goose hunting season so that is the focus. My 13 year old is hunting with me this year and his enthusiasm is refreshing to say the least.

Glad to see you are back and posting... Missed all your adventures.

Cheers, Jen

very cool!

I actually have some rods similar with the wooden handle and steel pole.

When my great grandmother passed away (age 93, toughest woman I ever met) I found some fishing stuff in her garage that had belonged to my great grandfather who had passed almost 20 years earlier. A box of lures and 3 rods, one similar in length to that one and two around 5 feet.

I have them paired up with some old reels on display in my basement, and I have never checked to see if there was any value but im sure at somepoint I will.

More value in the possession and to sell for me, as for you