Jointed SwimBaits

PatrickGG

I've been hesitant on purchasing these new jointed swim baits

reason why is because they are so freaking expensive <_< and

just by looking at them i would figure musky and pike would

destroy these baits, so now the season is almost over i would

like to know if anyone here has used one and if it produces?

Heres a Pic of one in particular swimbait, just remember i want

to pick up one of these over the winter when i find a good deal

Is it really worth it?

JSJ-BAITS-SNACK_SIZE_TROUT-270-S.jpg

Edited by PatrickG

I have started throwing swimbaits a lot this year, especially in tournaments. Once I get a decent limit, pick up the swimbait and start chuckin it, because I know it will get bigger fish. I won my first Angler of the Year title this year. LEts leave it at that.

Well that settles that

I have started throwing a lot this year, especially in tournaments. Once I get a decent limit, pick up the swimbait and start chuckin it, because I know it will get bigger fish. I won my first Angler of the Year title this year. LEts leave it at that.

Let's continue on... why bigger fish and why not use swimbaits right from the start?

but seriously why would a swimbait do the trick is it technique or something new that the fish have not seen before? news-n-coffee.gif

Let's continue on... why bigger fish and why not use swimbaits right from the start?

but seriously why would a swimbait do the trick is it technique or something new that the fish have not seen before? news-n-coffee.gif

Hey Wild running a swimbait looks easy "cast retrieve slow to moderate speeds or fast" you gotta remember there 3 types one runs right below the surface the other mid depth and a deep runner they just weight different and are expensive, the one pic i posted is a $79 Dollar lure and others can be cheaper but you get

what you pay for and in return the expense just mite pay off.

I saw swim baits that had mechanical workings and a battery inside....is that what is being talked about here?

Oh yeah...PatrickG.....$80 for a lure? Did you ever wonder "$80 for a lure?".

forrest

Edited by forrest

Swim baits either in the hard bait format like in your post or the soft plastic kind (6"+ paddle tails) have been the big bass goto bait in the US for a few years now. When you see high end rod manufacturers release a swim bait model you know they've done their research with their own pro staff.

If the hard baits are out of the budget (like me) then load up on some of the plastics. We catch some decent fish on the big storm baits, Berkley Power bait hollow body and Yum Money minnow. These are pretty pricey too and they get chewed up fast.

On my trip to Temagami I was amazed with the smallies hitting 6" Yum minnows. And Yes they were bigger fish that hit the swim baits.

In most cases the number of bites decrease as the size of the lure increases. Most tournaments here need 12 to 16 pounds for a win. Lake Erie and a couple others can throw that off.

Better to place well in a number of tournaments than to win just one for an Angler of the year award. Catch a limit first, then go for big fish, if you happen to catch a good fish or two fishing for a limit you have a head start.

Just me but not a lure I would be throwing in waters that have Pike and Skis in a bass tournament, to much cost and other cheaper ways to catch a bigger bass. Heavy spinnerbait with a 3 or 4 inch plastic frog for a trailer (bulk it up) 8 or 10 inch worm or lizard. Bites may go down but average size should increase, fine! once you have a limit!

I saw swim baits that had mechanical workings and a battery inside....is that what is being talked about here?

Oh yeah...PatrickG.....$80 for a lure? Did you ever wonder "$80 for a lure?".

forrest

Your right i wont spend that much on a Jointed swimbait that aint even available in Canada but a couple of the

Lucky Craft ones we have here "they are worth around the 25 dollar mark" i got my eye on, i just did some research and

seen some nice catches with these baits but than again any lure can catch a big fish if you know how to use it.

Obviously, in a tournament, the bigger the fish the better. Obviously, once again, bigger fish are harder to come by than smaller fish. So it is important to catch big fish, but also important to have a full limit. I will generally throw a "numbers" bait first, such as a senko or a tube, and catch by 5 fish first. Then I will pick up a big bait, like a big jig, or more recently a big swimbait. The thing about the swimbaits, is that they are a bigger profile bait, so generally the bigger fish prefer it. Any fish will take 1 big easy meal over 20 small meals, its all about energy efficiency. So, I may only catch 1,2 or 3 fish after I pick up the bigger swimbait, but they are usually larger fish!

Equipment is only as good as the sportsman or angler. New equipment is there to catch unsuspecting consumers before we even have a chance to catch a fish.

Tournament Athletes or anglers defintely benefit from better equipment or lures. They already possess the skill and feel , therefore an additional new technology used will further improve their success rate. If you notice from the recent olympic event held in China, swimmers of both men and women, were wearing a new technology material that made them even swifter underwater. If we were given the same material, it will hardly make us swim any faster towards world record.

Most average joe/anglers don't do as well as the Pros , not just because of their equipments. We do not possess the full God gifted-talent, we are not doing it full time, we do not possess the money or added support from sponsors. We do not have a chance to teamed up and get influence by those who are professionals in this field. We do not have enough time to experiment with lures.

Some equipment(lures) might work with one person but might not work with another person.

If we have the money and time to go to a remote Island 5 hours north of us, I am sure we will be able to catch our personal best size fish in no time without having to worry about which type of lures we will be using.

People who prioritize making money, do not make time to go fishing, therefore they can afford expensive new tech equipment , and at times will be able to catch large size fish that might surprise us!