OK... if you had $$ to invest... (VERy NF)

TJQ

Firstly, DON'T, ever, try to predict the bottom! Buy in smaller chunks on the way down.

Walmart always does well in this economy.

Personally, if I had $$$$ to invest I would buy real estate. Not necessarily in Canada.

Edited by John

I would think that any stock related to things people need no matter what would be the only safe haven right now. What that is I don't know exactly. Mainly, because the things that people once thought they couldn't live without are likely going to be a lot different than what they can survive without for the next little while.

Invest....Im trying not to look at the bleeding orfice that is my investment accounts... I came into some money recently from the sale of a property, and it is the time soon to buy but for now and the next few days I know Im sitting on the floor watching and waiting for this entire fiasco to flush its self out

Wild are you a broker

Edited by aniceguy

Guest gbfisher

About 9 month back energy stocks started rising hard. Almost doubled. :dunno:

They still have some lowering to do until they get back to where they were (ONLY 9 months ago). :glare:

Oil will be a great buy. I still see it hitting 200/ barrel in the next few years. Always a long term investment. In our lifetime anyway. Probably your Sons as well.

Then there's Trust Units..........Pay Great Dividends!!!!! Only worry being 2011....and really It will only mean a difference of 2 to 3 % in TAX..Way less than anyone thought. The worst thing they ever did was to take away the possibility of further trusts. The ones who wanted to turn into trusts, only got gobbled up after that and we lost even more tax because of OUR Gov's screw up decision.... :stretcher:

Good luck with everyone's predictions hahahahhaha..... :worthy:

It depends how safe you want to play. Crisis is mainly focusing on financial institutions hence most of good financial stocks are at bargain. e.g master card (MA) is around $168 today was around $250 month ago, same with american express is around $32 now, was around $55 month ago. If you want to eliminate the risk factor go with blue chip in pharmaceuticals.

If your money is in the equity markets then it is at risk I don`t care how blue your blue chips are, all you have to do is look at a chart.

Stay in cash for the time being!

Invest....Im trying not to look at the bleeding orfice that is my investment accounts... I came into some money recently from the sale of a property, and it is the time soon to buy but for now and the next few days I know Im sitting on the floor watching and waiting for this entire fiasco to flush its self out

Wild are you a broker

No I am not a broker Aniceguy.

If you notice the record spike in the lending rate around the world this is a sign of more problems to come guys and may be the needle to deflate the still high Canadian real estate values so I also have to add that paying down your debt may be more productive than playing the stock markets.

President bush is really trying hard to calm the fears of investors however his legacy is already written.

if the canadian realestate market suffers the sort of correction the aAUS did in certain markets its going to get very messy here. I read an economic report last week that if the credit market in the US doesnt restore some liquidity in the next few weeks the US could be facing an additional 4 million out of the work force.

From what I understand credit scores of 700 are not getting qualified and lent on...

I also think there are some more demons in the closet here and thatthere is more fun and games to watch...in the interim I have seen amlost 70% of my returns dissapear.

Stick to blue chip's GE, IBM, J&J they have all taken a beating but are still good companies and at a discount price. Over time when the price market flattens out they will rise.

I wish Canada had more Blue chip stock but we are just too small. Like someone said, Canada banks are good. The problem is you just hope they are not hidding something in the closet.

shotgun shells, canned foods, tents, second hand trailers.

but really i would invest in gold, and the big big financial banks that will still be around after the recession, theyre gonna have all the power shared by all the banks today but just concentrated into a few banks that will run the whole show

if the canadian realestate market suffers the sort of correction the aAUS did in certain markets its going to get very messy here. I read an economic report last week that if the credit market in the US doesnt restore some liquidity in the next few weeks the US could be facing an additional 4 million out of the work force.

From what I understand credit scores of 700 are not getting qualified and lent on...

I also think there are some more demons in the closet here and thatthere is more fun and games to watch...in the interim I have seen amlost 70% of my returns dissapear.

Either way unemployment will suffer, there are more companies that will go belly up soon and the US auto industry will be crying for a bailout package. GM is sinking deeper and will make headlines again. Congress cannot spend their way out of this mess allowing the US dollar to deflate even more causing the world to shun the currency - that will really hurt employment.

Good replies, I'd say several of you are probably right.

My advice to clients is to have 10% of their portfolios in precious metals. The remaining 90% in conservative balanced funds. This is no time for amateur day trading, most people don't even know what the heck the stocks they buy even do. It's a dangerous time in the markets, there are going to be a few more spectacular failures in U.S. banks and the volatility is here to stay for the next little while. Buy on the brutal days and average yourself down.

Remember this little ditty: For every seller there is a buyer.

Remember this little ditty: For every seller there is a buyer.

Right now the banks and holding companies that are in trouble are overwhelmed with assets which no one wants to buy and Bush keeps pushing to buy the trash no one wants to buy so right now we are seeing a rule that cash is king.

To steal a line quoted in the paper yesterday. One trader, when asking another trader what he though about a certain stock / fund, replied to the effect of "not sure, but I am long on ZANTEC".

Seriously though, I heard a report that said a poll of Canadians recently asked "Give the current economic crisis etc, what are the top 3 things you ARE NOT willing to cut back on. Most said they were willing to cut back on meals out, try and use less gasoline, no vacations etc etc.

The top 3 we are not willing to give up no matter what.

1. Internet

2. Cable TV

3. Cell phone

So even though most of my money is in energy stocks, this poll certainly shows Rogers, Telus, etc as interesting plays.

Nothing, bury your money under a tree and wait it out.

But then , that doesnt help the market any. Its very interesting to be a student studying this as it happens, makes for fun classes.

Energy is fairly solid, communications as well.

Its going to turn around eventually, when is the part that no one quite knows.

Ditto, silver as well.

energy, potash, pretty much any resource would be a good thing to put some $$$ into...

If you have some time, sinking a bit of $$$ into financials will pay off, but not now.. You'd have to sit on it for a while.

Banks always bounce back.

Nothing, bury your money under a tree and wait it out.

But then , that doesnt help the market any. Its very interesting to be a student studying this as it happens, makes for fun classes.

Energy is fairly solid, communications as well.

Its going to turn around eventually, when is the part that no one quite knows.

Bury your money under a tree? when the dollar deflates to half it's present value you can buy a half a tree to retire under!

Energy is solid only during a robust economy. when you loose your job and can't make ends meet what would you cut first from your budget?