St. Clair report

ChrisK

Was out with Slowpoke today on St Clair washing baits off of the Thames River mouth for a few hours with no luck. Headed back towards river and noticed alot of boat activity inside the mouth. We began trolling the river and within minutes had our first muskie take a bait.....Landed that fish and resumed trolling. Within another ten minutes another muskie hit and when I set the hook he was there head skaking and then gone. That was pretty much it. All in all it was a nice day although overcast for the most part.....

IMG00157.jpg

nice going, I always love the markings on LSC muskies, and you got one in the boat to boot, ya can't beat that, musky fishin is not always musky catching that's for sure :Gonefishing: , I think my arm is still sore from tossing big baits to no avail this week :lol:

thanks for sharing the pic...just curious,see the mast on the boat, you guys often use the board when out in the open water???

Thanks guys !!

To those who were asking what we were using well....... :whistling: When when we got into the river we didin't use the boards but flat lined straight behind the boat and this is the part were it gets a little iffy with the hardcore muskie fisherman.....I observed the muskie feeding in the river.It was was quite apparent what they were eating and where. The fish were on top slashing through schools of 2 inch shads. I could see the muskie with their dorsals right out of the water at times chasing the schools of shad so this was a for shure deal. I imagine these were shad that had been injured and died due to continuos attacks from the muskie.....

So as I'm a firm beleiver of "matching the hatch" I set down that big old muskie pole and brought out a medium action spinning rod with 12 pound test on it. Snapped on a blue and chrome ripplin red fin and the rest was history. I could of went with a smaller blue and chrome type of shallow running bait but the risk of getting bit off with no leader and such a small bait increases ten fold. We got my muskie in pretty quick and it swam away strong....Heck of a fight on the lighter line. I also got alot of glares from the hardcores going by while landing the fish with a spinning outfit and even a coment from a fella in one boat "Look,a bass fisherman"........I found it kinda funny that I was on the other end of the comentary for a change.... :)

Cheers !!

Beautiful Ski Chris!

I also got alot of glares from the hardcores going by while landing the fish with a spinning outfit and even a coment from a fella in one boat "Look,a bass fisherman"........I found it kinda funny that I was on the other end of the comentary for a change.... :)

Cheers !!

Reminds me of trib fishing :lol:

Good job on the guiding Brian!

Good stuff Chris ! I'm sure Brian claims it was the captain's skills that put you on it ! LOL

As a matter of fact, I said "let's troll for walleye" and that's why Chris had the Riplin' Redfin and the Snoopy rod out. ;)

We had a good time out there and I especially enjoyed pointing out all the center console boats since Chris enjoys poo-pooing mine! He's a tiller guy :rolleyes:. We saw more center consoles than anything else out there.

After coming off the lake, we explored a couple coves... nothing. We spent some time casting in the river and saw some surfacing but no takers. It was close to 1PM and began trolling back to the ramp when Chris picked up the first one. It was nice to beat the skunk.

-Brian