Is my boat up to bay of quinte?

forrest

I see 16ft boats with higher walls than mine, some may be deep V and pieces covering the nose.

Me: 16'2" long SSV Lund, 72" wide, IPS hull (not so deep at transom), 20" transom, open bow, no bilge pump (I am guessing its important) + Life jackets.

What can I do to make this boat safer for Quinte or Lake O'?

Anyone have any word on what the boat should be limited to?

forrest

Edited by forrest

Quinte is fine in most boats providing you keep a stong eye on the weather, I dont think I would want to be off the cement factory in big winds in any boat, but last weekend we flew past it in an 18 foot bass boat, so weather is the determining factor, saftey gear should be a given in any boat

just have to pick your days, know what your boat can handle and how to read the water...my boat is a bit smaller with a 76 inch beam...and I would have no probs bringing it out there...on the bad days the 18 footers are coming in too...all a matter of your comfort zone, my boat has seen some pretty big waves on Erie, just got to take it slow and ride the trough

Guest skeeter99

no problem with that boat

I has been out on lake O salmon fishing in bowmanville in rollers in my uncle 14 ft aluminum, alittle sea sick when trying to have a drink yes, but no worse for wear

just do what you do with other lakes watch the weather and wind

bay of quinte your worst enemy is a strong westerly wind other than that you are okay

once the bay has a west or even south west wind of 15 or better it will get rough, but as soon as you see it going bad or they forcasted afternoon winds maybe hit shore until the evening?

Well my 1625Classic LUND is just a little smaller,and man i take her everywhere,all the time,i even fish 10-14 miles out in lake ontario,it depends on your know how,of the weather and the waves and conditions,ive been at this game for along time,and owned about 8 boats,get to know your boat very well and what she will be capable of handling,and never,never second guess yourself,thats when it will get dangerous,as well stick with someone who knows the bay & the usual bad spots and go out with them,and you will know !!! take care,see ya on the water, cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

you never know when and what size boat you'll be in when weather takes a bad turn so it's probably best to know what your options are when you encounter different situations. All i can suggest is learn how to work the throttle, trim down, balance the boat if it's obviously leaning, quarter waves, ride crests if you can, move around at slow or no-wake just to maintain steering and wait it out, or maybe find anchorage or hide out in sheltered water if it's an option. get your PFD's on. and stay out of the head? hahaha

You will be fine with your 16 SSV I used to fish out of an 18ft SSV 73 inch beam the sides were the same height as yours.

I have just downsized to a Lund 1660 Classic very deep hull 84 beam handles the rough stuff with eaze.

Remember Quinte is not rough all the time you will know when to get off.

Merland Park rents Lund 16 ft SSV's and I have seen folks out in them on the reach and they were fine.

Just do it man go. :Gonefishing:

You may not be as comfortable as the guys in bigger boats, but provided you know how to boat in high waves, you'll be okay. I've had my 14' out in 4 footers in the outer bay on Erie. Scary, but made it back safe and relatively dry.

Just have to know when its time to call it quits and remember, you need to think about how long its going to take you to get in and how bad it will be THEN not NOW.

Learned that the hard way in a 14' aluminium, it was not my best day and it could have been my last.

Dont mess with mother nature

Ya yer fine.

like its been said just keep and eye on the weather.

Most rentals in the area are 14-16' Aluminum tillers with 9.9 to 15hp motors.

A wide beam is helpful, and Deep V is especially helpfull, but either way

If I were you though I'd just keep your escape plan in the back of your mind...

If your comfort limit is a 3 foot chop( thats were I call her quits)

Be ready to head out when she's a foot and a half because that water can and will blow up fast.

And don't be impatient...

If you get caught Taking it easy for a few hours at a dock, or trolling the harbor in Picton waiting out the wind beats the hell

out of visiting to Davey Jones locker!

Cheers,

Well if the weather is calm you in theory could go out in a canoe but realistically the skinny Lunds are best suited for smaller water and calm days.

For me and this is only my opinion I would not be caught dead in a small skinny boat in 3-4 foot waves. I have had my 90" beam boat out in 3 footers and it was not a whole lot of fun, I value my life too much to risk it trying to catch a stupid fish under those conditions.

Keep an eye on the weather and know how long it will take you to get back in.

Do you know what happens when you take a risk involving safety? – nothing 999 out of 1000 times, but when it hits the fan it is the worst feeling in the world, been there - I was lucky.

Remember:

It is better be on shore wishing you were on the lake than on the lake wishing you were on shore.

Be prepared and be safe.

Dan