ABSOLUTE WORST DAY

canadian_copper

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I purchased a relatively new used boat with low hours earlier this year.

After a trip or two, I noticed uneven wear on the tires. I had to replace one right away. I took a look at the trailer and was surprised to discover that the axle wasn't bolted square on the frame. And a number of bolts, including the bolts on the rims, were quite loose. Scary, and a lesson learned. Unfortunately, some of us pay more for our "education" than others. Andy

You weren't kidding about the driving Scott!

Either way it sucks big time for your friend, I don't even want to think of the amount to patch that up.

Was it possible what ever he hit the boat on didn't also hit the tire and knock the axle loose?

I've never even thought to look at my bolts, so I can't blame him for not doing it.

Do you have to check the bolts holding your new car together?

Buying a new trailer and having loose bolts is absolutely criminal.

It is criminal 100%, I just reccomend it, I do it to sleep better at night, and when I go out I am 100% confident I will make it to the lake and back. Damn I even change bearing every year, Check the wireing, check lug nuts, check tire pressure in all 3 tires, clean and apply di-eletric on my wireing adaptor after each trip, change the oil 3 times a season, ect......

I just reccomend it.

I bet Canadian Coppers partner wished he check the bolts. No offence in any way. Sorry about the bad day, by the way all that damage is fixable.

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by DanielM

Do you have to check the bolts holding your new car together?

Buying a new trailer and having loose bolts is absolutely criminal.

If you want to talk criminal think about the fine YOU get as the owner under the HTA for losing a tire off of a licenced vehicle or trailer and causing an accident. Even on a brand new trailer. I almost had that happen to me when a garage didn't properly tourque the lugs on a car I had certified, I drove 100 miles and noticed something wasn't right. One of the tires was only being held by 3 lugs with a couple of threads.....

It is one of those situations where you might be right not to check heck you could even be DEAD RIGHT. Checking doesn't cost anything but a few minutes.

If you want to talk criminal think about the fine YOU get as the owner under the HTA for losing a tire off of a licenced vehicle or trailer and causing an accident. Even on a brand new trailer. I almost had that happen to me when a garage didn't properly tourque the lugs on a car I had certified, I drove 100 miles and noticed something wasn't right. One of the tires was only being held by 3 lugs with a couple of threads.....

It is one of those situations where you might be right not to check heck you could even be DEAD RIGHT. Checking doesn't cost anything but a few minutes.

:clapping:

cant believe you guys drove home with that trailer..........

talk bout dangering yourselves and the general public!!!

This is why the OPP have their roadside inspections and why so many vehicles have their plates taken off on the spot.

CC so what's the plan? Are you going to contact the dealer and have them fix the trailer or will this sit until the honeymoon is over?

I can honestly say that I have never checked the U bolts on any of my trailers for tightness! I am thorough about tire pressure, and checking for heat in the wheel bearings.

I assume the dealer had no problem charging a hefty sum for the PDI on this new package?

After only 4 days, he should not have to be rolling around under his trailer tightening bolts. Give me a break!

Hope things are all uphill from here in.

Glad to see that you both made it home safe from that Scott.

I would tell your buddy to talk to the dealer he got the boat and trailer from about this problem. Any good sales person would offer any help they can to get the return on investment for a happy customer (ie you buying a boat in time and telling friends about such a great dealer so there may be a chance for many more deals down the road). A bitter customer spreads the word about 10 times faster about poor service/support/what ever then a happy customer. But I know when I am happy with something I have purchased, I have no problem talking about it and the place I got it from. Something to think about before he jumps all over the person at the dealership he got the set up from (re: trailer issue). Would you be more likely to help someone that was nice, honest and open to you or someone that was all rude?

Cheers,

Geoff W.

WELL WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO DRIVE IT HOME!!!

CANT JUST LEAVE A $30,000 DOLLAR BOAT TIED TO A PUBLIC LAUNCH FOR A WEEK.DOIN 20KM ALL THE WAY TO OSHAWA WAS A HELL OF A LONG DRIVE LOL

THE MARINA IS GONNA HAVE ITS HANDS FULL ON THIS ONE!!!THERE IN BELLEVILLE. AINT DRIVIN IT OUT THERE!!!THEY CAN COME HERE AND LOAD IT ON A BOAT CARRIER OR WHAT EVER THEY USE!!!IM NOT DOIN 20KM ALL THE WAY TO BELLEVILLE LOL

Hey Copper, are you sure that scratch didn't happen when the u-bolts came loose due to the negligence of the marina?

lol j/k

I'm surprised that wire made it home, but at 20 km/h you aren't likely endangering anyone, but probably annoyed a few. They'll get over it. It's easy to judge from the comfort of an office or home. It's something entirely different when you're in the moment. I know because I've been there, done that. With a friend's trailer as well as my own. You do what you gotta do to limp home and deal with it then.

I've had my share of dark cloud moments, but when I look back on them, they are just more memories for my fishing scrapbook. If every trip was flawless and perfect, you wouldn't really appreciate those days that are special.

Charles