Brutal Day

Rizzo

Planned to head to Balsam today in the new (to me) boat for its maiden run. Got the big lures out of their "safe" place. I have 2 young boys fascinated by lures so I need to keep all my tackle out of reach. Put the lures in the boat, told the boys not to go in there...they told me they would just stand on the tire well to look into the new boat. After about 5 seconds of me being distracted, I hear screaming from my 2 year old. He climbed into the boat and fell down, proceeding to impale his leg on the hook of a super shadrap. I cut his pants away to see it was well past the barb. As we drove to the hospital he was actually a real trooper about it, only the occasional wimper. Naturally the wait at the hospital was several hours. When they finally got to him the doctor had tiny little bolt cutters. As he struggles to snap the hook, of course my boy is screaming again. They finally get proper tools and cut the hook. Now to push it through the other side, I suggested the doctor make a cut and push it through the opening, as a hook/barb this large is hard to push through. He doesn't agree that a cut is necessary and tries to push it through without success. Lots of crying going on, most from the son and some from me. Then the doctor starts reefing on it the other way (against the barb)!! I mean really yanking on it. I stop him and tell him to make a cut and push it through. I had done this with a friend who was impaled with a big hook and it worked. Worked this time too, don't think I could take watching anymore of his suffering either. The incredible thing was as soon as it was out, he was a bright cheerful kid running around like nothing had happened!

By the time we get home and eat, there is still a few hours of daylight, so I get permission to try out the boat down at Simcoe. Man 4 strokes are a beautiful thing, I've never run one before. I can't believe how quiet these things are. Even for a 2001 50 hp it trolled at a real nice speed. Had great fun until....a rope I had tied to the bow somehow ended falling out of the boat and back into the water only to wrap around the prop. This stopped the motor with a thud. I cut the rope away and was real happy to hear the boat start up again when I turned the key. It ran well at trolling speed, but when I tried it at high speed it didn't have the power. The motor was revving high, but boat couldn't even get up on plane. The motor was actually revving too high when I tried to go fast, so I limped back to the marina at little more than trolling speed to prevent any further damage. Somebody please tell me I didn't just trash my motor in my first 2 hours with it! I'm hoping there is some sort of sheer pin that would break when something wraps around a prop rather than causing serious damage. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've tore the rubber 'centre' on one of my Props .A seventy hp johnson.. Couldn't fix the prop but just bought another one .. PERFECT ! ! Hopefully your luck will be the same ! Still kinda made me turn blue too !

Wow, that is a bad day buddy. Sorry to hear about that and I hope your engine isn't pooched. I just mentioned it to Paul and he says you could have possibly screwed it, but maybe not :whistling:

I'm hoping not!

Joey

Probably spun the hub so the gearing which is part of the rubber on the prop is slipping. If that's the case no big deal any reputable prop shop can glue and press a new one in. Should cost you under $50 or less depending on the prop size and gearing. I don't think I ever did one for more than $35.

Wow. What a day. Thank goodness all went well with the young guy. The motor problem can't be that serious. I'd guess that you stripped something on the bottom end. The rubber prop seal that Slyatv mentioned sounds very probable. A new prop and you're good to go. Good luck with that and I know that you'll have a better day next time out.

I'm starting to like the sound of this (first good news all day). I just went out and pulled the prop off. I'll see tomorrow if somebody carries a replacement. Would it make sense to just replace the hub (ie would it be the damaged part) or do the whole thing? I know Royal distributing on the 400 carries all kinds of props and hubs.

SO sorry to hear about your day Rizzo, very happy that your young lad is ok though, that is the most important thing. As for your motor, hopefully it is minor, I know how discouraged you must have been, even if that was the only thing that went wrong for you today.

On a different note, you know what is ironic, I think you recently sold a 14ft 10in LOWE, as I believe I saw pics of it on here, I just bought the exact new (used) boat you got rid of.

Although my maden voyage was much better than you, I have since noticed a leak at one of the rivets, kinda breaks my heart, so I feel for you, getting a new or used boat is very exciting.

My LOWE is a 99, what year was yours? Did you have any rivet problems??

Gain I am so glad your boy is ok.

heres my boat

IMG_0107.jpg

Hi Shane

yup, that is exactly the same boat I had and I believe Lew's brother also had the same boat. My boat was a 1999 as well, although I bought it new "non-current" in 2002. I loved that boat, never had a problem with it. No leaks, everything worked great it was actually sad to see it go. One day I had motor issues but it turned out to be bad gas (insert joke here). Put new gas in and it worked great. I hope you get your problem solved. I was hoping to be able to sell mine to an OFC'er but somebody from Kijiji grabbed it shortly after I listed it there.

I'm starting to like the sound of this (first good news all day). I just went out and pulled the prop off. I'll see tomorrow if somebody carries a replacement. Would it make sense to just replace the hub (ie would it be the damaged part) or do the whole thing? I know Royal distributing on the 400 carries all kinds of props and hubs.

If the prop blades are fine then take it to a shop for expert opinion and get it repaired . You could also consider buying a new or rebuilt one as a spare.

Yep, spun prop. Get your prop rehubbed, any prop place near you?

edit=I should add, your probabl not going to feel the slippage if you try to check this by hand. Lot of guys that haven't been through this before think props fine after rifting on it a bit.

If you doubt the props slipping put some align marks on it and go for a test run.

Edited by Zamboni

good link GCG! Might have to invest in those hook protectors. If I wasn't usually so careful about keeping the kids away from the lures I'm sure I'd be pretty sore today from the whoooopin my wife would have given me.

And Rizzo make sure to inspect your shaft seal for any damage

not sure where that is or how I check it

you have to question the saying" a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work" on that one . that"s pretty bad. hope you're little guy is ok. i got a treble hook from a wally diver stuck in my thumb once when a 4 ib pike started flopping in my boat while i was trying to release him. same thing, barb was buried could't yank it out. had to drive 2 hours to pickle lake to the nearest clinic. after a few needles to freeze my thumb they got it out. i laugh about it now, i wasn't at the time.

Guest Johnny Bass

Lures are dangerous and should be kept well out of reach of pets and children. Good to hear that the damage was very minor. I'm not sure if tetnus(sp?) shots are needed??

The motor problems sounds minor too. Same thing happened to me on a rental boat when I hit a chain and it coiled around the prop. You should be up and running in no time.