Lower unit (fin) damage (NEW PICS OF BOAT)

Shane70

Hey all, I recentley bought a new (Used) boat from a reputable marina locally. The boat has a 1999 Johnson 35hp 2stroke, electric tilt / trim. Very very nice package at what I felt was a reasonable price. Here is where I need your advice, I walked into the marina on a Thurs aft trying to find a decent used package in my price range, just happens I dealt with the sales manager, and he pointed me in the direction of the boat i picked up, it had just been traded in that morning. A 1999 Lowe Deep V sea nypmh side console. He noted that the only thing wrong with it was that the tach needed to be replaced. Anyway, I handed him 2000 cash and told him I would settle up when it was ready for pickup. He told the mechanics to fix EVERYTHING that needed to be fixed, ASAP. I then left the marina and he said he would call me when they were done with it. The next nit (Fri) after work I call the marina hoping to get it for the weekend, the sales manager was gone for the day, but the mechanics and service manager said they were done with it, they replaced a tach and a few mnor electrical things. They said from there end it was ready for pickup providing I did not want them to wash, wax and clean it first, of course this would mean I could not pick it up until Monday, so I said I would come get it, and clean it myself, LOL,

Anyway I took the boat out the next day (Sat) and Sunday as well. On Sunday I noticed at top speed it pulled to the right, so when I took it out of the water, I got to inspecting the motor closer ( I am very embarrassed for not noticing this before picking it up) but I was so excited to pick it up, plus I showed up at the marina to pick it up like 30 minutes before they closed on a Fri night. I noticed that the lower unit fin had some significant damage, no leaks thankfully but some damage, not just a scuff, but rather a wrip in the bottom area of the fin, literally a chunk missing about the size of 1/2 a quarter. The prop looks fine, just the fin has a small chunk out of it and it is bent a bit at the very end.

Some buddies say not to worry about it so long as nothing is leaking, I ama bit embarrased for not noticing it, therfor I am reluctant to call the marina and ask them about it, or about fixing it, considering I have no way to prove that I did not hit anything on my own, which I def did not, but I wish so much that I had noticed it at the marina before taking it home.

Am I being to anal and picky, considering it is a used boat, should I be concerned, keep in mind that it is not leaking any oil at all, just a pull to the right at 50% to full throttle.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

Shane

Edited by Shane70

Post a picture...if a small piece is missing from the lower end of the skeg any good aluminum welder can fix that. There are no seals close enough to the area to ruin so as long as you do the job right you should have no problems having it fixed.

You have the option of getting the skeg fix. Go to ebay and buy a skeg protector, it might even be more practical than just getting the skeg fix. You can buy a skeg for your engine, it needs to be rewelded, and you must take the lower unit off which is too much of a hassle.

I fish the shallows a lot and added a MAC protector which does amazing and protected my prop and skeg, it might add drag to the top end, but I would rather lose some top speed than get my prop ding here and there.

It is normal for the boat to turn one way when you let go of the steering wheel based on the trim tab adjustment, this will prevent the boat from going straight to nowhere when you accidentally get thrown out of the boat, and no one to attend it. THis is a safety measure and should not be adjusted for your boat to go completely straight. It will also help you get used to putting both your hands on the steering wheel.

No major problem on your skeg, you can always add fibreglass resin, sand it and repainted it, just to make it look good.

I have a much larger chunk out of my skeg... picture the curvature of a tennis ball extending into the skeg about 7/8". No perceivable issues. I inquired about repair and the over-the-phone estimate was $85 and they said they could likely fix it without removing the lower unit. If the skeg is bent, it's possible that it may cause the boat to lean or turn but it doesn't look that significant in the picture.

I would take it back to the dealer, swallow your pride and ask if they are prepared to do anything about it. They might have a guy in the shop that can weld it up and not cost the dealer anything to fix. I think it's worth asking. They should be able to tune the steering for as well by adjusting the trim tab anode, or at least walk you through the process. It's not difficult but could be time consumming if you want it perfect. Trial and error. It might also be a weight balance issue or perhaps a wind issue.

Be sure that it isn't a tilt/trim issue. My boat for example will exhibit heavy steering effort in one direction until its planed out and trimmed correctly. At that point the steering is as light as if you were sitting still.

Congrats on the new boat and lets see some more pictures of it. It sounds like a nice ride.

-Brian

We ripped the entire skeg off our 40Hp 4-stroke Honda while out in GBay this spring.

Stupid me watching the new chartplotter and not looking where I was going.. missed a set of buoys :) :)

Got a shop to weld on a new skeg, good as new. I wouldn't worry about that little chunk missing.

i had a piece missing, maybe a little bit bigger than yours.. just used some JB Waterweld and built it back up.. a little sanding, and it looked as good as new..

I did the same thing to my 40 Merc, painted it up, good as new

I have a much larger chunk out of my skeg... picture the curvature of a tennis ball extending into the skeg about 7/8". No perceivable issues. I inquired about repair and the over-the-phone estimate was $85 and they said they could likely fix it without removing the lower unit. If the skeg is bent, it's possible that it may cause the boat to lean or turn but it doesn't look that significant in the picture.

I would take it back to the dealer, swallow your pride and ask if they are prepared to do anything about it. They might have a guy in the shop that can weld it up and not cost the dealer anything to fix. I think it's worth asking. They should be able to tune the steering for as well by adjusting the trim tab anode, or at least walk you through the process. It's not difficult but could be time consumming if you want it perfect. Trial and error. It might also be a weight balance issue or perhaps a wind issue.

Be sure that it isn't a tilt/trim issue. My boat for example will exhibit heavy steering effort in one direction until its planed out and trimmed correctly. At that point the steering is as light as if you were sitting still.

Congrats on the new boat and lets see some more pictures of it. It sounds like a nice ride.

-Brian

Thanks a ton, I sure like the new (used) boat. A huge upgrade from my 14fy misty river tiller with a 9.9hp.

Here are a few pics:

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

I'd go ask the salesman or manager and tell them the skeg was damaged before you picked it up and you think that's why the boat is pulling to one side making it a little dangerous to drive. or talk to the mechanic in the shop I'm sure he would have noticed if it was damaged previously. nice boat.