Eating Salmon

Cudz

To be accompanied by the "Ontario Breathing Regulations" book, where you can't breathe in AMZ 3 (Air management zone) from November 15th to the last Saturday in May.

So if the Air Management Officer finds you breathing out of season, do they take your lungs?

Watch out for those exceptions in your zone!

I've eaten a few Nothern Pike from Lake Ontario. They were all in perfect health, and the meat tasted amazing.. I wouldn't make it a weekly habbit, but a few a year wont kill anyone..

Holly Shnikes I hope you didn't pull those fish from the harbour.

Not only are the ressources limited, but the accumulative toxins would be high in the larger fish. I'm talking HARD metals here man.

I can only think of one time of the year where the flesh of these fish would be eadible, and that's at ice out, when the fish are about to spawn.

I understand that the law allows to keep them, but from the harbour, I'd let them go!

dang I'm feeling queezy just thinking about it.

HD

Well our member musky & specks said it all,earlier on in the season the fish are so firm& silver,and in perfect health,but as they prepare to spawn,man they turn black,and are already starting to rot,and to decay !!!! the meat goes mushy and they taste like crap,but a nice silver 8lb chinook or coho,or even a nice rainbow,taste really good,i have cooked many up for lots of customers,when i was on the charter boats,and everybody thought they were so good,they all thought the same about eating a fish from lake ontario till they tried a nice silver medium sized fish !!!! so it does depend on when you eat the fish as well as what size too !!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

You should always cut-off the belly strips. The fatty areas is where the toxins accumulate.

Grilling lets the fat drip off too.

Actually, that depends on they types of contaniments that are present in the fish.

Organic compounds such as dioxins, pesticides, etc. do tend to accumulate in the fatty tissue. Avoiding the high fat belly area of the fish will reduce your exposure to these contaniments.

Heavy metals such as mercury accumulate in the flesh. Cutting the bellies off won't help if mercury is an issue.

I used to keep my boat in Bronte and fished Lake O. Its up on GBay now. I found the Salmon in Lake O did taste different from the store bought spring/kings and also from the GBay versions. I attribute it to a diet of mostly alewife in Lake O vs mostly smelt in GBay. I didn't find them bad, just not the same. I only kept small ones though. I kept a 30lb one I caught in the Tournament once. Kept the big fillets in the freezer for two years before I tossed them. Could never bring myself to eat it.

My daughter who spent most Saturdays from age 5 to 9 on Lake O with me, always called Salmon "two-meal-a-month-fish" because I had to explain why we never kept the big ones we caught. It'll probably stay with her for life.

RED MEAT is MUCH more dangerous than any fish from Lake Ontario or Erie.

As I have pointed out once before, there is no Great Lakes lobbyist to ward off these Bull reports.

How many people do you know that died from eating fish from ANYWHERE. However, there are THOUSANDS that suffer from harding of the arteries, heart disease, strokes and heart attacks from eating red meat. BUT there are NO warning labels on the meat you purchase.

Good point about the drinking the water.

What about the precipitation that come off the Great Lakes and feeds our farms and gardens. Again, not in the good interest in the government to warn you about that Bull.

Eat all the fish you want, you will probably live longer than those who SMOKE, drink and do drugs :)

Every now and then I trick myself into believing that the small ones are going to taste good. Especially in the spring when the water is nice and cold, because for some reason they should be less contaminated and should taste better. So last year I reminded myself why I never keep anything I catch out of L.O.....they simply taste like crap. I just had a small laker from Simcoe that I cooked on the BBQ, and it was fantastic. The summer is the worst time to eat any trout or salmon out of L.O. becuase of the flees. Anyone who has had them on there line know the smell, and it gets into the meat, Nasty is all I can say. Have fun catching them, but throw them back its not worth the trouble. I would be interested in hearing about how the trout taste from GB or Huron.

You are not tasting any contaminates but rather the forage they are feeding on as you pointed out yourself.

Uh... isn't that how predatory fish become contaminated?... by eating contaminated forage???

Any large trout and salmon caught on the Great Lakes make great smoking fish I will take all you have to offer

Keep on eating them... but when you start to glow in the dark... back off just a tad eh! B)

GBay Rainbow Trout taste great. Even the lakers are great when they are small. The larger lakers are the same as anywhere, a bit oily, but that makes them better for the smoker. GBay salmon are fantastic to eat. They have much less of an oily/fishy taste compared even to the Farmed Atlantics that the grocery stores have. Its too bad they are not looking like they will be around for long in GBay.