Eating Salmon

Cudz

Here's the guide to eating sport fish for Lake Ontario. It's done by location, size and number of meals per month that is deemed safe.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/publications/590b13-LO.pdf

Thanks for posting that Cliff, I've wondered about how safe they are too.

The way they do the consumption advisories by meals per month, pregnant women, and developing children kind of creeps me out... I guess older men can eat them because we're tougher... or they're trying to kill us off??? :dunno:

I think there's a footnote under atlantic salmon say under 24 inches...

Not how many you can eat but how fast :oops:

Just kiddin boys and girls---always obey the law and listen to your mom and dad and make sure you major in biology to tell your salmonoids apart.

OK I'll stop now

Bushart

You should always cut-off the belly strips. The fatty areas is where the toxins accumulate.

Grilling lets the fat drip off too.

You forgot to mention that you should eat smaller (younger) fish because toxins are cumulative.

Edited by Greencoachdog

It makes me wonder... if you're only supposed to eat 2 meals a month of a certain species from a certain area... is it really good to eat that fish at all?

I know what you mean Glen. I grew up in the 70s on Lake Ontario. I still remember the warnings NOT to eat ANY fish from Lake Ontario due to contamination. I know that the health of the lake has improved by leaps and bounds, but I still cant bring myself to eat anything from it.

What I dont quite understand is if you eat multiple species of fish. So, if it says I can eat 2 meals of Salmon, and 4 Walleye, what can I eat per month? One Salmon and 2 Walleye?

Maybe ketchenany can answer that for us!

Yep, but I only catch bigguns when I go! :canadian:

I've noticed a lot of Quinte Walleyes with "growths" on their face, yet guys eat them! Yuck..I'd rather throw a Shaker Chinny on the barbi myself..

Edited by danbo

I tried a salmon from a lake ontario trib a few years back, (can't remember if was from bowmanville or wilmot), that was a nice silver 4-5 lbs fish. I figured if I was going to try one, I'd try a smaller one for better taste and quality. Boy was I wrong. I swear I could taste the chemical in that fish. I'm not sure if this was an isolated bad fish or not, but I never tried another salmon since. I've had mixed results with rainbow up to about 3 lbs from lake o, but if I want a fish to eat, I'll hit a gbay trib and get me a very tastey trout or salmon up to 5 lbs.

That's a nice way of telling me to read the book...LOL. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup_anim:

I've had to read every word, every figure, every bar, English and French. All of the support material that goes with it English and French and 19 other languages for the last 2 publications. How do you think I feel :stretcher:

What they dont tell you is that the sample taken is from the shoulder of the fish which is the leanest and therefore the cleanest part of the fish. Just imagine how bad the fattier parts of the fish are. If I want to eat salmon Ill go fish Colpoys or Thompson's hole in the spring. I would never it a late summer or fall salmon. The hormonal changes that the fish quickly progress through are incredible as they get ready to spawn and die.