Horrible Greyhound Incident

nancur373

I have an idea for taking care of the mentally ill...lock them up so they never get out there is no reforming these people...just like child molesters and all of these sick individuals. I love Canada but we are run by a bunch of spineless individuals. There are no consequences for what you do and that is why it will continue to happen. Ya there is a big problem with the death penalty. :angry:

I have an idea for taking care of the mentally ill...lock them up so they never get out there is no reforming these people...just like child molesters and all of these sick individuals. I love Canada but we are run by a bunch of spineless individuals. There are no consequences for what you do and that is why it will continue to happen. Ya there is a big problem with the death penalty. :angry:

There's not a program set up for that. There's nut cases walking every street in our country. They're not hard to pick out most of the time. Mental illness is a huge social problem. Unfortunately, we've seen the absolute worse scenario in this case. God bless the victims family.

I have an idea for taking care of the mentally ill...lock them up so they never get out there is no reforming these people child molesters and all of these sick individuals. I love Canada but we are run by a bunch of spineless individuals. There are no consequences for what you do and that is why it will continue to happen. Ya there is a big problem with the death penalty. mad.

That’s an incredibly narrow minded opinion.

As a person who is very close to someone who battles psychosis, and depression I'd be very inclined to be offended by your comment, however...

Its apparent to me that your frustrated by our System, and believe me...no one is more disgusted with our mental health system then I.

People who are ill have no means of getting help unless they "consistently" admit they want to harm themselves, or others, and even then...most of the time they have to actually prove their case to a doctor, which of course most mentally ill people will not do, because they "are not mentally Stable"

Family and friends can cry to the police, and the doctors, and anyone who will listen but at the end of the day unless the sick individual is under the age of 18 they can refuse treatment.

the best case scenario for most of these sick people is waiting until they hurt some one and fail, and hopefully the police are involved to document it...other wise these people fall through the cracks, only to resurface when you least expect it...and then its to late.

There needs to be a better system put in place, where obviously Ill people can be forced into treatment...its a must for many

I've watched my brother fall, and battle back and fall again for 9 years of his life, and there is NOTHING we can do because he doesn't believe he's ill...they never do

So until he hurts someone or himself he will continue to live in this bloody limbo.

We've exhausted all options made available to us through the Canadian mental health association, the Waterloo regional Police, and countless counselling agency's

believe me when I tell you

"these people CAN be rehabilitated, and they CAN get better IF you can somehow get them to except help"

But unfortunately the system has more holes then Swiss cheese, so when the Ill don't think they are ill...its almost a hopeless battle

My heart and prayers go out to the victims family, but I have to say I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the fact not one person tried to intervene?...not one

You can't fault someone for being afraid, but I can't say I could have ran with the crowd...am I completely alone in this thought?

I know its not the smart thing to do, and yes the fact is I could be killed in the process , and maybe I’m not the smartest peanut in the turd but It just sits way wrong with me?

Are there no hero’s any more?

Is it all about self preservation now?

I don’t know…maybe it was a bus of elderly, but most of the people I saw interviewed were young healthy men….I feel horrible that not one person tried to help the poor guy?

That reeeeely disturbs me, more then anything else in the event.

This is definately the worst crime I have heard of in my entire life and i am disgusted at the fact that people like that walk the streets. I just cant imagine the pain he went through and the pain his family is going through. I will definately keep them in my prayers. As for the murderer I dont know if he is mentally unstable or if he is a sadist but that is just disgusting how someone could do that to another person its unthinkable especially beheading.

Edited by bassmaster4

Well I really feel sorry for the witnesses. I for example looked at Beheading in Bearshare and watched a video of an Iraqi take his knife and saw a Nepalese hostage alive. I will never forget what I seen and heard on the Internet. Actually witnessing it, those people including Kids will never be the same again. That video still gets to me to this day. Yea we need the Death Penalty. It may not prevent this, but this Sicko will never kill again.

I think there should be a ban on knives. I mean heck....knives kill people. I can't wait to register my knives with the gov't when they institute a new multi-billion dollar knife registry. Then at least we'll be safe.

I don't think I would intervene in a situation where some nutbar was weilding a Rambo Knife while carving up some other dude. While some may be disgusted with me for not being a "hero" I've got a 9 year old daughter who would rather go thru life with a father.

:blink:

Guest lundboy
I think there should be a ban on knives. I mean heck....knives kill people. I can't wait to register my knives with the gov't when they institute a new multi-billion dollar knife registry. Then at least we'll be safe.

I don't think I would intervene in a situation where some nutbar was weilding a Rambo Knife while carving up some other dude. While some may be disgusted with me for not being a "hero" I've got a 9 year old daughter who would rather go thru life with a father.

:blink:

Knife ban... Absolutely agree ;) . I'm sure there will be metal detectors coming to bus and train depots soon.

If we didn't have a ban on handguns, and Canadians had permits to carry... It's quite possible we may have had a hero on the bus with a permit to carry. One more reason why gun bans may not be a good idea.

My heart goes out to the family of the victim and the witnesses. The whole thing was senseless indeed.

Edited by lundboy

I feel sorrow for the victim and his family.

None at all for the a hole with the knife. The cops should have shot him point blank and the one who shot the fatal round should be rewarded. I have no use for people like that and society doesn't have room for them either. The court system will get tied up for years over this and he will be walking the streets sooner than you can say hang him!

Sure some can say the guy is deranged and needs sympathy I say just get rid of them.

Just my opinion. If anyone is offended then so be it because I too am offended by bleeding hearts.

wow... :blink:

tell us how you REALLY feel Dark one!

:blahblah1:

your generalizations are almost as frightening as this story....

That’s an incredibly narrow minded opinion.

As a person who is very close to someone who battles psychosis, and depression I'd be very inclined to be offended by your comment, however...

Its apparent to me that your frustrated by our System, and believe me...no one is more disgusted with our mental health system then I.

People who are ill have no means of getting help unless they "consistently" admit they want to harm themselves, or others, and even then...most of the time they have to actually prove their case to a doctor, which of course most mentally ill people will not do, because they "are not mentally Stable"

well said CookSlav!!

if you have mental issues and a violent tendancy why should the rest of society take the risk that you may forget your meds for a couple days and attack someone? I know it sucks for the person involved and for thier families, but life isnt fair and trying to pretend that it is isn't fair to the other 30 million of us. Violent people need to be restrained imo, regardless of reason, and this is just a horrible example, its too bad we can't carry weapons for self defense in this country maybe it would have turned out differently.

if you have mental issues and a violent tendency why should the rest of society take the risk that you may forget your meds for a couple days and attack someone? I know it sucks for the person involved and for their families, but life isn’t fair and trying to pretend that it is isn't fair to the other 30 million of us. Violent people need to be restrained imo

I agree...

I just wish the Government would open their bloody eyes and ears and change the System.

People with severe mental illness be it Violent, delusional, or self destructive "NEED" to be "institutionalized", and need constant supervision until they can be cured....if they can be cured, and the only way to determine that safely is to have them supervised in an institution

The Family and friends need to have more of a say when it comes to getting loved ones help plain and simple.

Mentally ill people don't know they are ill...

if their family and friends are telling the police and doctors this, there needs to be more then a 72 hour evaluation put in place, its not near enough!

Its entirely possible that This tragedy could have been avoided had there been a better system in place...

Very sorry to hear this news! Cops did a good job. Not sure if it's related to any illness?

A Report on Mental Illnesses in Canada

Mental illnesses touch the lives of all Canadians, exerting a major effect on relationships, education,

productivity and overall quality of life. Approximately 20% of individuals will experience a mental

illness during their lifetime, and the remaining 80% will be affected by an illness in family members,

friends or colleagues. ......

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/miic-m...f/men_ill_e.pdf

Mental Disorders in America

Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.(1) When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.(2) Even though mental disorders are widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion — about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 — who suffer from a serious mental illness.(1) In addition, mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada for ages 15-44.(3) Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. Nearly half (45 percent) of those with any mental disorder meet criteria for 2 or more disorders, with severity strongly related to comorbidity.(1)

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publication...n-america.shtml

That is a sick crime, completely baffling. Apparently the guy has no criminal record, no history of mental illness. A seemingly random, incredibly violent crime. Makes me feel sad for humanity in general.

if you have mental issues and a violent tendancy why should the rest of society take the risk that you may forget your meds for a couple days and attack someone? I know it sucks for the person involved and for thier families, but life isnt fair and trying to pretend that it is isn't fair to the other 30 million of us. Violent people need to be restrained imo, regardless of reason, and this is just a horrible example, its too bad we can't carry weapons for self defense in this country maybe it would have turned out differently.

Thank you exactly!