Russian subs reach bottom of Lake Baikal

kickingfrog

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ernational/home

So do you use a 3/8 jig head? or go with a full ounce? :Gonefishing:

Article Comments (6) Associated Press

July 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM EDT

MOSCOW — Two small, manned submarines reached the bottom of Lake Baikal, the world's deepest freshwater lake, on Tuesday, Russian news reports said.

The “Mir-1” and “Mir-2” submersibles descended 1,680 meters to the bottom of the vast Siberian lake, reports said.

Scientists on board will take samples of water and soil from Lake Baikal, which is home to more than 1,700 species of plants and animals, reports said. They also will plant a small pyramid bearing the Russian flag in the lake bed, reports said.

Russian news agencies earlier cited organizers as saying the expeditions set a world record for the deepest descent in a freshwater lake. State Duma deputy and expedition leader Artur Chilingarov later said no such record was broken Tuesday, the Interfax news agency said.

Mission chief Anatoly Sagalevich said the mission will make a total of 60 dives. Organizers then will compile a list of recommendations at how best to preserve Lake Baikal, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Last August, the “Mir-1” and “Mir-2” descended below the North Pole, with Russians on board planting their country's flag in a titanium capsule on the Arctic Ocean floor to symbolically claim the seabed.

Organizers then will compile a list of recommendations at how best to preserve Lake Baikal, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

While I'm no scientist, I can certainly put forward my list of recommendations of how best to preserve the lake.

1- Leave it alone!

It's a good thing to hear, that Russians are finally doing something for there lakes.

A lot of lakes in Russia have been wiped out from acid rain.

This is due to no control on emissions from their vast industries.

You do remember acid rain.Which is still doing a lot more damage

to are plant then this so called climate change.

It's a good thing to hear, that Russians are finally doing something for there lakes.

I love it......"so called climate change".

Lake Baikal, known as the jewel of Russia, is the deepest freshwater lake in the world, having more water than all of our great lakes combined.

Several (20+) years ago, the tests they performed for water cleanliness was spoiled only by the the test tubes, it was that clean!!

I dont think the jig weight is the issue....it's a reel that can hold 1.8 kilometers of line. Man...I don't know if I could reel in that kind of line in one fishing trip. I added a bit in case the fish ran like a salmon :o:D

Ummm that is only 1800 meters we do that much reeling in about 4 hours easy chucking spoons for salmon.... Then you just break out the tylenol especially if you land 3 or 4 LOL. Where you really do a lot of reeling is drift fishing on a long run off a pier though. You let that puppy run out until you can't see the float or you CAN see silver on the spool LOL.

I will never forget one of our buddies comes fishing off the pier with about 25 wraps of line left.... of course he was the only one to get a fish on. So when Canadian tire opened he went for a drive so he could start fishing again.... Lesson I learned was YES the knot tying the line the reel is important LOL.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ernational/home

So do you use a 3/8 jig head? or go with a full ounce? :Gonefishing:

Article Comments (6) Associated Press

July 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM EDT

MOSCOW — Two small, manned submarines reached the bottom of Lake Baikal, the world's deepest freshwater lake, on Tuesday, Russian news reports said.

The “Mir-1” and “Mir-2” submersibles descended 1,680 meters to the bottom of the vast Siberian lake, reports said.

Scientists on board will take samples of water and soil from Lake Baikal, which is home to more than 1,700 species of plants and animals, reports said. They also will plant a small pyramid bearing the Russian flag in the lake bed, reports said.

Russian news agencies earlier cited organizers as saying the expeditions set a world record for the deepest descent in a freshwater lake. State Duma deputy and expedition leader Artur Chilingarov later said no such record was broken Tuesday, the Interfax news agency said.

Mission chief Anatoly Sagalevich said the mission will make a total of 60 dives. Organizers then will compile a list of recommendations at how best to preserve Lake Baikal, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Last August, the “Mir-1” and “Mir-2” descended below the North Pole, with Russians on board planting their country's flag in a titanium capsule on the Arctic Ocean floor to symbolically claim the seabed.

Bet they still couldn't reach the bottom of my tackle box!

Climate change is real. The cause is the debate.

Guest skeeter99

yeah they have the world's deepest frshwater lake and they also have a unexpalined to this day explosion that destroyed kilometres of forest and left a crater in 1908 in tunguska russia (the balst was bigger than the hiroshima bomb)

here is the info pretty interesting, I learned in a history class in school

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080630/sc_...us100yearslater