WHAT KIND OF FISH IS THIS?

limeyangler

• 6 months later...

fishin' with a friend and his mrs. 10 or 11 yrs. ago on sparrow lake in a canoe. he tossed a frog to blue pike resting still near the surface .

it was about the same size as your pike . asked the outfitter there about it he didn't believe my buddy 'til the pike was shown to him . he didn't know what to make of it.

read an article in oood mag.about these fish and mnr asks you report and catches or sightings.

nice picture of a rare fish ,,congrat's.

Edited by waterwolf

Saw an episode of FishTV where Leo and Ron are fishing pike in Esnagi lake and Ron catches a silver pike in the 12-15lb range. I think they said 1 in every 19, 000 pike get this colour mutation. The guide on the show said that they are common in that area.

Went to a small lake for a walleye session yesterday...we did good, normal haul of species...then my buddy Chuck hooks into this fish that looks exactly like a pike, with no markings and blue/purple in coulor......any ideas what it is.

IMG_1502.jpg

scottandcameron036.jpg

Im sure it is a silver pike rare find indeed. were was it caught? This was caught in northern ontario

• 6 months later...

Nice Catch cool pic .....BUT ....Northern Pike it is. Very common here........in that particular color.

Blue Pike.....Blue WALLEYE...... Black Bass.... Blue Bass ....Black Perch.... I've even Heard of a Red Eye Devil Bass that lives ONLY in Temagami.

Color variations.

RFS

:canadian:

• 4 years later...

So to clear a few things up.

"Blue Pike " are extinct. Originally found in Lake Erie. However they are actually Walleye. But, in SW Ontario most ppl call Walleye by Pickerel.

"Silver Pike" as shown in OP are indeed a genetic mutation of Northern Pike but they reproduce and are recognized seperately for record purposes.

Im gonna guess that these "blue bass" are mis-identified blue gills or somthing else but without pics I really dont know.

Anyway, im going after Pike in August in a lake known to have "Silver Pike". Anybody have more info on them? Specifically around North Bay?

Thx