Waterspouts

Roy

This is waterspout weather with the many thunderstorms we've been getting. This waterspout hit the Old Port this afternoon. They really are a scary sight to see while out on the water.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Please be careful out there. If you don't know about these things, read up on them and be prepared, please.

Awesome scary power for sure !!!!!!. :blink::huh: ...i seen one out over lake ontario about 6yrs ago south of pickering ontario,we were about 4 miles from it,and we were shaken up for a while after no doubt,were you that close roy,thats pretty dangerous bud...be careful !!!!! :stretcher:

Water spouts are common on Lake Erie.

We always went on a Friday after work to our boat at Sugarloaf Marina in Port Colborne. One Friday, I found my VHF antenna shredded into strips. Found out later that a water spout went through the marina and some areas on land. There was one large downed tree and several damaged trees near the hospital area which is near the launching ramp area.

One thing I do not understand is how a water spout could have brought down large trees or even damaged large trees?

When home port was on Georgian Bay at South Bay Cove Marina near Honey Harbour, I saw a photo of Frying Pan Bay - on Beausoleil Island, near Honey Harbour. The PIC belong to a fellow boater who followed his friend into the Bay to look around. On the way in, he took a PIC of his friend's boat. The result was a PIC of his friends boat with a tornado in the background. That tornado appeared to be close to the Bay it was not far from the boats.

See below a PIC of frying Pan bay that I obtained through a scan of a PIC in the ports book.

carp-starter

FryingPanBay.jpg

No, I didn't take those pics. My sis sent them to me. I was somewhere 'tween Cornwall and Lancaster when it hit.

Roy just saw the same pics on Meteo Media, the weather channel just now..... Amazing.... If it's your sis that as taken those.... tell her that they are great pics.

Leechman

Wow, those are awesome shots Roy. Thank your sister for them.

I saw one up close and personal one time, and I'll never forget it.

Was on the townsite in Elliott Lake and a small storm popped up from the heat of the day. We were lounging on the dock by the beach and a small dust devil arose, then it got bigger and bigger and then went across the beach picking up debris and speed and then hit the water, well I tell ya, I've never seen anything like it. The dust devil then turned into a water spout and it flipped all our clothes and towels and lotion etc, through the air and out into the water, snapped a styrofoam surf board in two and that flew off somewhere, we all dove for cover and then it just whipped out deeper and deeper and then dissipated. It was wicked!!!

Joey

Very Cool pics. Glad I "weren't" there. Nuttin' to be fooling around with.

We have those all the time down on the Gulf of Mexico in the summer, I've seen 6 and 7 at a time... saw 4 come together to make 1 one time

Strange things happen when you're around Glen :lol::lol:

(hope to see you in September ... may pop in to the Lakair GTG for a little on Friday)

Edited by Rich Clemens