Another carp die theory

misfish

I fished an inland lake yesturday,and there were carp floating everywhere.

This thought came to me.

Could a virus have been air bourne?

Im starting to believe one guy that said the goverment had something to do with this,is right.

Maybe they did fly byes and dropped some kind of kill pellit or something. :dunno:

The fact that the carp are dyeing everywhere,doesnot make real sence. Why are there no other fish floating around?

Ok Aliens ubducted me,I am not myself.

I was fishing Couchaching this weekend and was amazed at all of the dead carp that I saw!!! There must have been at least 8 or 10 just in one small bay we were fishing in. All sorts of sizes too. We caught a few smallies in the same area and man, could they fight! They were in no means in any bad health. Not sure what's causing all the carp deaths but it's sure one hell of a mystery!!!

Weird. Probably is aliens. <_<

Seems very unlikely the government would have anything to do with this. Introducing a virus or poison or whatever into lakes and rivers is way too risking to remove carp. Too many things could go wrong, other species start to die, and such. It's a nice conspiracy theory but nothing else.

Not all fish are affected by the same toxins and pathogens as others, many are simply just carriers. For example west nile virus can kills blue jays and crows but most other birds are not effected. The same thing is occuring here as whatever is killing carp is not apparently hurting other fish. It may have something to due with their diet.

Also keep in mind they are not native to Ontario and so are certainly more susceptible to local viruses and such that native fish have developed immunity to.

Also keep in mind they are not native to Ontario and so are certainly more susceptible to local viruses and such that native fish have developed immunity to.

So can it maybe be a floro thing that grows on the banks maybe even a bug/fly?

Im just asking. I just dont understand why the wide spread.

It is making me really wonder why this is happening.

I could understand the theory of the lakes connected and spreading,but to hit inlands,that has to make one think.

Thank you for your response Tim

Raf,ty 2.LOL

Edited by misfish

It could be possible. The government admits that they introduced a chemical to kill/contain the sea lamprey in our Great lakes waters sometime ago. Gearing up for an asian carp invasion?

I was wondering about the chemical they introduce to kill the gobys in Simcoe?

Edited by misfish

:unsure:Nah h h h h . . . . I highly doubt the government would undertake a project THAT risky . . . when they tried to poison the gobies up in Pefferlaw, they were pretty open about it, there'd just be too much backlash if they ever got caught! My own personal notion . . . somebody who has no better than the equivalent knowledge of high school biology, who figured he'd to the province a big favour, got their hands on some koi, or just plain pet-store goldfish, infected with the caluminaris virus that is deadly to the carp family, and plopped 'em in a few spots in Scugog. It worked, but as the water cooled off, the virus died, thus, by fall it had run it's course. But . . . . it worked so well last year, they still had infected fish in their home aquarium, and released some more. Far fetched . . . . I don't think so, timing was too well planned to be accidental. The version that the Ministry seems to think could be the culprit is the koi-herpes virus that apparently is also exclusive to the carp family? The Sun has a nothing story with some misinformation on page 6 today . . . http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008...148691-sun.html

The koi virus idea is certainly a good possibility. My personal opinion would not be that someone intentionally tried to kill carp but if anyone released any pet fish into a local river that had the virus it could spread easily. So if anyone had a koi pond they wanted they wanted to get rid of and had nothing else to do with the fish, there you go. I don't know much about the virus but certain water conditions likely make it more dangerous to fish. It could slow down in cold water in winter and re-emerge when the water warms.

As far as the spread to inland lakes I would agree with it being transported around by anglers, boats, etc. The same way zebra mussels spread. What interests me is why some lakes seem more susceptible than others. I was up at sparrow lake last week and there were very few dead fish despite the fact it's connected and very close to simcoe and couch. It must have something to do with water temperature or something like that.

Ok, I know I'm not making any kind of positive contribution to this thread, but I gotta say that I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times last night, re-thinking Raf's post in this thread... man, I'm still killing myself here!

Thanks again Raf!

HH

Haven't noticed any carp down my way yet BUT there are a ton of small dead bullhead catfish all over the bay. At first I thought it was the normal few we see every summer as temps rise fast.. but this is a LOT. Even Johnny Bass noticed it (which is really what made me start noticing it). Could it be the same thing, different strain?