lund boat with dent

Buddy caught a bolt sticking outa a dock today......... Left a pretty bad dent and tear mark.

Whats the best way to fix this?

body shop said they can bang it out and fill and repaint it.

Is that going to be a good solution?

Dealer recomended replacing that side of boat <_<

Any idea's?

Yeah it sucks.......... He's pretty upset for sure.

It not a small simple dent.......... big tear from bolt and dent both.

And its right near the top. The tear isnt right through but dam close.

I would thing the heat from tig would make it warp to......

Body shop says sure they can fix it.......... but when i looked at it, i dont think its a simple fix IMO.

City should be paying for it really............. was a public launch and wood was rotten causing bolt to be exposed.

City Should Pay !! :clapping: :clapping:

Bang it out......should be done with a dolly. cut or grind off stretched aluminum....patch it from the inside with a new piece of the same gage aluminum..use an adhesive instead of rivets..fill in with an aluminum body filler..like you would on a car..complete the body work...smooth ...wetsand ... prime ... paint to match....and then put a OFC sticker over it.. :thumbsup_anim:

If you wanna go the best way... Tig in the patch.. a good welder can do this without warping the sheet metal...he'll grind it smooth and then you complete the bodywork.

As for replacing the whole side of the boat that's a load of carp!! Will they lend your buddy a boat for the rest of the summer...

Randy

Yeah it sucks.......... He's pretty upset for sure.

It not a small simple dent.......... big tear from bolt and dent both.

And its right near the top. The tear isnt right through but dam close.

I would thing the heat from tig would make it warp to......

Body shop says sure they can fix it.......... but when i looked at it, i dont think its a simple fix IMO.

City should be paying for it really............. was a public launch and wood was rotten causing bolt to be exposed.

ya but its probably posted to use the dock at ur own risk

Ya git what ya pay for! Free launches are free for a reason, I scratched up a new boat 2nd time I launched at a free ramp. Stupid steel posts along side it did the job, luckily it was minor and only required some touch up paint.

The city/town probably has a sign posted near the ramp stating "Use at your own risk." Many private ones state the same too.

We put a small dent in out brand new Legend boat, nothing big but it was still a dent none the less, because its a welded hull, when the insurance people came and had a look at it they ended up writing the whole thing off! because it was a new boat and the dent even as small as it may have seemed turns out it compromised the lifetime warrenty of the hull! So we got a new boat out of the deal! they said it was way easier just to write the boat off even though it didnt leak one single drop then to spent the money ripping up the floor in order to fix it! unbelievable! Maybe you should have your insurance adjuster come and have a look at the situation!

Its not a free launch.

He paid for a pass and there is no sign that says use at own risk.

Just got back with him from body shop......... They can fix it

but

The boat is really weak where this dent is now.

I should suggest to him to have contact the city before he fixes it.

Well, no one else will say it...in the words of the Darrin Schwenkbeck team, "That's what bumpers are for."

Sorry about your bud's boat. Hope he gets it fixed to his satisfaction.

how bad is said dent??,like on the verge of putting a hole in the boat???, I put a very small not very deep dent in my Legend this past winter not even enough to scratch the paint...still sucked it was a dent but just took a block and a rubber mallet and it's all fixed up..good thing it's a 100 guage tough boat :dunno: it could have been way worse. The first scratches and dings are always the worst...our boat is 5 years old and looks pretty much brand new still cuz we try to take care of it,only a small dock rash that's it and that's from the first summer we had it..my brother and his buddies had it in the water up at camp and it got stormy...they watched it rubbing against the post of the dock(post cap came off) for a long time before they relaized it was scratching the boat...we where'nt too impressed with that :glare: specially since the boat was like a month old at the time.

Hope you buddy6 gets it fixed man, Iknow it's a bummer, but it'sgonna happen no matter what sooner or later, a scratch, scuff, ect..specially with guys who use thier boats to the max :Gonefishing:

This isnt a scratch........... This is bad bad dent and tear in the boat. Tear is at least 10" long.

Dent has a diameter of about 12-14 inches.

The boat is .100 thick and this tear could be pushed through with a pen.

There's no more to the story........... Was a simple docking event and board was rotted off exposing bolt.

Boat still had forward speed when bolt came in contact with boat.

IMO the city should be paying for it......... They charge all boaters up the ying yag in fee's to maintain launches and waters!

Bumpers or not......... Who honestly can say they keep there eye's peeled for bolts hanging outa docks!!!

that really sucks man, must have hit the dock pretty hard to damage a 100 guage hull like that, I mean when I dinged my boat I hit pretty hard cuz of high winds and current right at the corner of the dock and after scrubbing the scuff mark off you can hardly even tell there was a dent at all..so had to be coming in pretty quick. To be honest, I always look for nails, bolts ect sticking out from a dock when I come in...for example on the lower Niagara the launch we use all winter for steelie fishing is sort of an "L" shape and there is a big metal bracket that sticks out on the join, I wouldn't want to hit that for sure :huh: . I doubt the city will take any resposibility for that for a few reasons.

yeah it sucks....

Feel bad for the guy........ Really bothered by it.

Went down with him today to a buddies body shop to get it looked at.

They say they can fix it right and insure it to be original looking.

Hope all works out for him.

If it was my boat id be bothered to.........

I feel his pain.