Advice on protecting fish while taking photo

jimvanm

I have seen a lot of pictures of some lunkers on this board, and having just caught a respectable sized pike yesterday, I thought I'd write in for some advice on how to best hold them.

I wear gloves because I had read that human skin can strip the protective mucus off a fish, and thus leave a fish exposed to disease.

But how to pick up the fish for a photo? I see how to hold the back end, but it looks like people are holding the front of the fish by it's gills. I can see how that makes sense as far as avoiding the teeth, but is there a specific spot that is best for the fish?

I'm not a fish but I would not want to be picked up by my lungs, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure I'm missing something, and I figure this would be good to know: what is the correct way to pick up a huge fish with teeth so that a good photo can be taken, and yet the fish still be returned safely to the water?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Here's an article that is found on the OFAH (Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters) website.

http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/Hold.cfm

=================================================================

Angling

Reduce the time a fish is played.

Use a net or cradle to land the fish.

Handling

Keep the fish in the water as much as possible and handle the fish gently.

Reduce handling that removes the slimy protective coating on fish.

Do not squeeze or touch the gills. Grasp the fish just behind the gill covers.

For panfish and smaller bass, it is best to grasp the fish by the lower lip.

On larger bass, a belly lift is the best lift that can be employed. The belly is literally cradled in the handallowing for support to the fish’s organs and reduces excessive pressure on the head and jaw of the fish.

Use long-nose pliers to remove the hook quickly without tearing or injuring the fish. If the fish is hooked deeply, cut the line and leave the hook in when the fish is released.

Never put a fish that you may release on a stringer, use a functional livewell or release the fish immediately

Remeber that all fish kept (in a livewell, on a stringer, etc.) and not immediately released count towards your daily catch and retain or possession limit.

Photographing

Be ready ahead of time! Take pictures quickly, minimizing the amount of time the fish is out of the water.

Hold the fish in a horizontal position, supporting its weight with your arm and hands. ( See Muskie / Northern Pike Catch and Release Tips )

Do not hold large fish in a vertical position Vertical holds have the potential to cause severe injury to the fishes internal organs.

Never hold any fish by its eye sockets

Releasing

Revive the fish before letting go. Hold the fish upright in a swimming position in the water, moving the fish slowly forward and backward so water runs through the gills.

Ensure the fish is breathing and can swim away under its own power before it is released.

Consider the water temperatures when release larger fish See Muskie / Northern Pike Catch and Release Tips )

For Pike/Muskie....

http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/MuskieTips.cfm

For fish with teeth, the best method is to get a firm grip on the gill plate with one hand, then put your other hand up under her belly to support the weight in a horizontal line.

The gill plate is strong and offers a very secure grip, just be extremely careful not to get your fingers in the red gills as this could to some very serious damage to the fish.

It's also a good idea to hold the gill plate on the opposite side from the hooks cause you sure don't want to get hung up on a fish with a bad temper. :w00t:

Cnv0543.jpg

Lots of great advices already, 2 things i'll add.

1) Try to unhook the fish before taking a picture, avoids the problem of the fish thrashing around and driving the hook into the angler

2) When lifting a big fish up for a picture, try to kneel down for the stance. It's easier on your back and it's also safer for the fish incase it jumps out of your hands. (this is done usually by carp anglers but I believe it would apply to other big fish as well)

2) When lifting a big fish up for a picture, try to kneel down for the stance. It's easier on your back and it's also safer for the fish incase it jumps out of your hands. (this is done usually by carp anglers but I believe it would apply to other big fish as well)

Solid point! Never thought of kneeling in case it jumps or squirms away.

Has anyone tried holding a fish by resting it on your hand (fishes belly on your hand)? They almost go into a state of dormancy....pretty cool. Done this with some walleye pushing 25 inches

I do one thing different then some of these guys, I leave the lure in the fish for the photo. If the fish thrashes I let go of the fish back into the water. I still have it on the line to pick up again for a quick photo if I didn't get it the first time. When shore fishing I stay as close to the water as possible, or go in the water so if I have to release it when thrashing it hits water, not rocks.

I try not to have a big fish out of water for more then 5-10 seconds.

Edited by mepps

Gloves can remove mucus too, I think the important thing is that your hand (or glove) is wet.

One more thing that I didn't see above is to have your tools and camera ready, so the fish is out of the water for as little time as possible. Pliers, jaw spreaders, bolt-cutters (if you are chasing big Esox), glove if necessary.

Mike

1. Unhook fish while still in the net.

2. Get hands wet, camera ready.

3. Pick up by gill plate and support the belly.(Muskie, pike... Bass just lip them :) )

4. 2 pics to make sure atleast one is good :)

Get her back into the water and don't let her go until she is good and ready under her own power.

Get her back into the water and don't let her go until she is good and ready under her own power.

I tried that once,but shes still here.LOL

Great advice by all. To me, it all depends on the fish you are handling. Bass, I lip,em and take a pic with the lure in the yap,then a quick release.

you could get a lip grip too if you are concerned about the teeth...

Lip grips are the worst fish handling device around. They do way too much damage to the fish. The only thing they are good for is to handle the fish while it is still in the water. Please don't pick up a fish with a lip grip, even if you do support the body there is still an enormous amount of strain on the gill arches, which in turn puts strain on the internal organs.