Grenadier Pond: Third Cast

jimvanm

Third cast with an orange/yellow spoon produced this little darling:

GrenadierPike1sm.jpg

It put up a pretty exciting fight to start, but then managed to hunker down in some weeds and I couldn't move it. If it weren't for the fact that it had been fighting in the first place, I'd have sworn there was no fish and I just had my lure caught on a log. I was seriously starting to try and figure out how it managed to spit my lure into a log, when it finally decided to take off again and I was able to land it. On 8lb line it was a pretty fun fight.

The kids were mighty impressed.

Thanks to all for the advice about fishing in Toronto from an earlier post of mine. I have to admit I'd have never thought to fish in Grenadier Pond. You can call me convinced :-)

Edited by LootBag

Wow!! When we gave you all that advice, we never thought it would produce anything....LOL.

What a great catch! It really is amazing about all the urban fishing opportunities there are...just have to ask a few questions and then get out there and try.

The kids were mighty impressed.

And you are a fishing hero to the kids too...well done!! :lol:

Wow!! When we gave you all that advice, we never thought it would produce anything....LOL.

What a great catch! It really is amazing about all the urban fishing opportunities there are...just have to ask a few questions and then get out there and try.

Breakfast TV had a short blurb this morning in recognition of license free (conservation limits) family weekend July 4,5,6...

The official they had doing the demonstration of tackle etc. mentioned there are 52 different locations to catch fish in the GTA... :thumbsup_anim:

LOL! That's kinda what my folks say too!

Yeah, it's gonna be a big problem for me, I can tell already. At my desk now I keep thinking "maybe I can sneak off for a few hours and try ...".

They were saying "Dad, you are such a good fisherman", and I was like "no no you don't understand, this was a total fluke". I can't wait until one of them gets a big one on. I just hope they don't let go of the rod!

What's the big idea of goofing off during the first two casts??? ;)

LOL. That's exactly what my youngest son must have thought. On every cast after that he kept saying "Dad, catch another fish!".

He kept looking at me like I was holding back or something.

Solid fish, she/he probably rules Grenadier.

All I know is that I'm in love. I'm gonna go there tonight at midnight and compose a sonnet for her or something. Maybe buy her dinner or something.

It's always so hard to know what to do on the second date.

VERY IMPRESSIVE! I've fished grenadier pond for about 7 months and I never caught pike in there once! I recognize that spot..that spot has nice healthy weeds, I tried using large spinners but no luck. I will try again this weekend. :)

Edited by Anatz

VERY IMPRESSIVE! I've fished grenadier pond for about 7 months and I never caught pike in there once! I recognize that spot..that spot has nice healthy weeds, I tried using large spinners but no luck. I will try again this weekend. :)

I was using a yellow and orange spoon (with diamonds on it). It was a Red Wolf that I picked up at Canuck Tire for a few bucks. Funny thing is I lost it a few casts later; I wonder if the pike damaged the line. Spoons are a pain in the butt for fishing in weeds, but the fish seem to find them hard to resist, 'cause everybody has one in their tackle box they'd swear by.

I was on the South Eastern shore, under the trees (yes, I cast a few into the trees as well), and I was casting North West onto the edge of the weed line.

We didn't catch anything else, but I'll still be back again. Just the fact that it's on the subway line scores points in my book.

I think I'm gonna see about a bass or two. Maybe a hula popper or a floating Rap. Wish I had a boat so I could do a bit of jigging; that weedline was teasingly far away; tough to cast a light lure into.

Good luck!

"Spoons are a pain in the butt for fishing in weeds, but the fish seem to find them hard to resist, 'cause everybody has one in their tackle box they'd swear by."

ive caught tons of pike on weedless minnow spoons, and the are for the most part weedless, try em.

NO boats allowed for many years now. Ridiculous. The west side is loaded with un-touched bass. The homeowners stopped access due to garbage,etc. When will people learn to take care of the land & water???

There are Black Crappie & Bluegills & White Perch that hit flies. Mudcats & carp at the north end.

Nice pike indeed! I've fished Grenadier about 4 times now and ain't never caught nothin'! Now that I've got a float tube, I'm hoping my luck will change.

I have heard that watercraft are banned from the pond....the post before me thought said so too.

Oh yea....nice Pike from that pond....I think that might be the one they used for the plaque stating that there pike in the pond. I have never seen anything but small panfish from there.

forrest

Edited by forrest