Balsam Tigers?

Fisherpete

Yep, been catching Pike and Tigers for the last few years in Balsam. Swore I would keep any Pike for the table- haven't done it yet though. Wonder if all the people who fish Balsam were to keep all Pike caught if it would make a difference in the population?

I definately agree there are different genetics involved, but that doesn't nessarilly make them different species...

Either way, I like the fat ones!

There are different strains of musky in Ontario, but as far as species go .... no, unless you include the tiger

Well wherever there are locks between lakes fish can easily travel through !!!! so its really no suprise that it hasnt happened long before now,a very good family freind of ours has had a trailer at balsom lake park,for over 20 yrs and he has caught many small pike there going back along time,like at least over 10yrs. so they are prob going to spread as time goes on,and eventually find there way right through the system they are also making their way up from the bay of quinte as well,and there have been pike caught near campellford as well,and thats very close to rice lake so we better beware !!!!! the M.N.R should be doing some netting or at least some angler surveys and get an idea of how bad the problem really is,or maybe put something in the regulations to report all pike caught in the kawarthas !!!!!!

Well wherever there are locks between lakes fish can easily travel through !!!! so its really no suprise that it hasnt happened long before now,a very good family freind of ours has had a trailer at balsom lake park,for over 20 yrs and he has caught many small pike there going back along time,like at least over 10yrs. so they are prob going to spread as time goes on,and eventually find there way right through the system they are also making their way up from the bay of quinte as well,and there have been pike caught near campellford as well,and thats very close to rice lake so we better beware !!!!! the M.N.R should be doing some netting or at least some angler surveys and get an idea of how bad the problem really is,or maybe put something in the regulations to report all pike caught in the kawarthas !!!!!!

i too have caught pike in balsam i have caught one and my uncle has caught one in the past two years i would post a picture but its on my old computer that crashed in a storm a few weeks ago. does the mnr have any regulation are we supposed to report them or keep them and kill them because a musky fisherman told me in buckhorn if you catch a pike you must keep it report it to the mnr and kill it. is it like this in balsam?

a very good family freind of ours has had a trailer at balsom lake park,for over 20 yrs and he has caught many small pike there going back along time,like at least over 10yrs.

Those tiger musky are super fine looking fish, hopefully they are predominant over the pike, the muskies at least seem to be holding on in Balsam so far. Sounds like this has been going on for a bit anyways.

funny how pike cause so much trouble if they get into lakes like the Kawartha chain where there is no "natural" pike population so to speak, but yet it's not big trouble in other places like at my camp an hour east of there where they seem to co-exsist just fine :dunno:

funny how pike cause so much trouble if they get into lakes like the Kawartha chain where there is no "natural" pike population so to speak, but yet it's not big trouble in other places like at my camp an hour east of there where they seem to co-exsist just fine :dunno:

That is kinda odd that they co-exist there. Any tiger musky ever caught there?

Have read in the past that musky will spawn a little deeper and later in season than pike, on lakes studied where

they co-exist. Balsam is deep enough and big enough for muskies to find spawning habitat away from pike if that's

the way. Let's hope nature keeps us happy in Kawarthas as well.

ehg