Bowmount Trolling Motor Installed!

ccmtcanada

Ok...let me start by saying that I usually am not that great with wood and tools...LOL. I've done a few jobs around the house where it doesn't really matter if the thing actually looked good or not...my stuff tends to be functional...not pretty.

Anyhow, the bow of my boat was not big enough to handle this trolling motor that we got from Roy. Thanks again Roy! This is what I was dealing with.

boat1-2.jpg

After putting a few threads up on what to use as material (aluminum vs wood) as well as placement for the motor, I finally decided on what to do.

First was cutting the wood and treating it all with Thompson's Water Seal. Here's a pic of the pieces I cut after the sealing.

01wood.jpg

Last night I put the carpet on all the pieces that will be visible. Not a great job, but not a bad one either. I securely bolted all the pieces in place, using rubber washers where metal met the aluminum on the boat (thanks for the tip Gerritt). I also mounted it so that nothing would hit a dock. I'm going to replace my bow light with one on a 12" pole, so I decided to mount the motor right on the nose. Here's the final result.

Pics with the motor stowed.

02done.jpg

03done.jpg

Pics with the motor deployed.

04done.jpg

06done.jpg

I had to improvise a little because the space between the aluminum nose of the boat and the piece I had cut for the support didn't line up level.

05done.jpg

Here's a pic of the underside. I took Sinker's advice and used 2x2s and attached them just under the gunwhale. If the shelf I made begins to sag a bit, I'll put a support under it, but so far it's pretty rock solid.

07done.jpg

So, I just have to hook up the electrical part of it, and it's good to go out for a test run. The arm locks and unlocks easily, so I'm pretty confident everything is level.

If anyone sees anything that could improve it, please let me know. Thanks again for all your help on this one.

Edited by ccmt

Great looking job Cliff! :thumbsup_anim:

Now you and bly go catch us some big fish to look at with it!!! :Gonefishing:

So these things catch fish too? Where do I put the line and hook?? Near the bottom? Is that what sabiki rigs are for??? LOL.

Thanks everyone. I took the advice from a lot of OFNers on this one. Hopefully Tuesday we'll get it out on the water to test it out.

GREAT job but I am concerned with using Thompson's Water Seal on PLYWOOD. I would of used sparring urethane instead but if the carpeting has a rubber backer it should hold up.

If you need a depth finder for the front you can get some good deals on a used one surfing Ebay. I still have a flasher on the front because I prefer it in the weeds.

Good Luck and have fun fishing,

Bob

GREAT job but I am concerned with using Thompson's Water Seal on PLYWOOD. I would of used sparring urethane instead but if the carpeting has a rubber backer it should hold up.

If you need a depth finder for the front you can get some good deals on a used one surfing Ebay. I still have a flasher on the front because I prefer it in the weeds.

Good Luck and have fun fishing,

Bob

Yeah...I thought the same about the water seal, but I had a can of that stuff from when I sealed the deck. Water does bead up on it however and since it's covered, it should not wear down from direct sunlight. Time will tell, and the wood was cheap, so if I need to change it up it's an easy job.