They weren't supposed to hit that

Cudz

1. I was out fishing with a friend today and we were drop shotting tiny tubes and micro senkos for perch. All of a sudden my friend hooks into a big (relative to the perch we were catching) pike. He hooked it perfectly in the side of the mouth. Hard to catch pike on a drop shot setup when the hook is attached directly to the 8 pound line. He was using a tiny pearl 2" (yes 2") senko. The pike was about 9 pounds and we even managed to land it. I have a pic as well but it is on my friend's phone.

2. The other day I caught a 10" crappie on pearl 10cm x-rap. (not so unbelievable)

3. I have a tackle box full of $10-$30 lures and I threw out a popper that I bought at dolarama for a buck. After only 2 casts I caught a 16.5" 2 pounde smalie. Too funny.

One more for you. About 20 years ago we were downrigging for lakers on simcoe and I was reading fish at about 25 ft over 90ft of water. Because the LCR 2000 was such a basic finder I assumed the suspended fish were just clutter or false readings. I threw out a deeper diving big rapala fat rap and caught a 7 pound whitefish.

Had a honkin big Perch latch onto a rattlin rap once while fishing for pike, but I guess that wasn't too strange. By far the weirdest is not once but twice nhow I have seen my roomie hook into a big Muskie while we were fishing for Bass.

First time was on a 6" Senko. Got it in the corner of the mouth then ran under a log or something under water. He fought the thing for a good long while, the whole time rubbing his line back and forth across said log. Just when he was about to give up the fish came ouy and after a few mins he landed it. Think it measured out to 41".

The Second was while casting tubes for smallies in a river. Again, corner of the mouth, and the fish was landed.

Lucky sot...

I've witnessed both Lake Trout and Pike in the thirty lb. range caught with 1 1/2 inch jigs intended for Brook Trout. In fact my good fishing Bud caught a mid 40's Pike last weekend under the same circumstances. It happens too often up here. The fewer Pike that I catch, the better.

Perch are a bit nuts. My friend actually uses Rapala HJ12s for perch. They love it.

I have also caught small rockbass on big spinnerbaits.

This winter, a student of mine, caught a 50" musky on tiny rapala ice fishing jig. Corner of mouth caught and landed.