Cliff and Bly's Lakair

ccmtcanada

Friday June 20th

Today is the day!! We dropped the little one off at school at 1:00 and by 1:30 we were on the road! It was bright and sunny when we left, but there was the threat of rain up at Lakair every day we were to be there. We wouldn't let that dampen our spirits...we had raingear packed. As we approached our exit close to hwy 64, we saw this up ahead.

01rainclouds.jpg

We arrived by 6pm and went down to see the familiar Lakair sign.

00lakairsign.jpg

After walking around and saying hi to all that were already there, we docked the boat and went off to find a campsite. We ended up between Kickingfrog and Lew and set up our tent.

We went out for a quick fish, in search of some Walleye, but since we are pretty unfamiliar with the lake, we had a tough time finding them. This was to be our only skunk of the weekend!

We headed back, docked the boat and chatted the rest of the night away......

Saturday June 21st

Ahhh...Bly was up at 6am and started the coffee going. I crawled out of the tent at 630, had a quick bite to eat and we headed down to our fine vessel....

04ourboat.jpg

We headed out and decided to pre-fish the Pike tourney that was starting at noon. After heading into a few shallow bays, we saw this guy hanging out....I think he tipped the Pike off, because we didn't catch any!!

02bird.jpg

Bly caught a few panfish, but she also landed this nice Walleye....too bad it was in the slot, so back it went....

03alandingfish.jpg

03blywalleye.jpg

We headed back in so we could have a bite to eat before the tournament. I decided to throw a spinner off the dock, right in front of the docks and I landed my first fish of the trip...a smaller pike, but a scrappy one!

IMAGE157.jpg

Ok...we were registered for the tourney, and Bly was busy making sure everything we needed was in the boat....including a makeshift livewell, since live fish got an extra inch for the results!

05tourneyprep.jpg

The fishing was tough....while I was blanked in the morning, she had that happen during the tourney. I managed 3 pike....all around 18"...for the fish fry and my tourney entry.

06tourneyresults.jpg

Here's a pic at the "measure" in. TJ made his daughter do all the dirty work...I believe I heard TJ say "Ewwww...I'm not touching those things....they stink".

07tourneymeasurein.jpg

After the results were in, TJ got busy cleaning all those Pike..I took the opportunity to take some candid pics of some OFNers.

Bill Parker

08bill.jpg

Irishfield

09wayne.jpg

Roy

10roy.jpg

Greencoachdog

11glen.jpg

Finally, at around 5pm, the tourney results were to be announced...and we all gathered to see the great prizes! I came in a respectable 7th place...good enough for a new tackle bag, baseball cap and a lure or two. :thumbsup_anim:

Here's a few more pics of the results and fish fry...

Here's Rick, relinquishing the trophy from last year.

12rickgivinguptrophy.jpg

Lew, Irishfield, Pointed, BITEME and Deg

13lewwaynepointedbitemedeg.jpg

Some of the American contingent.....the Plumma's and GCD.

15americancontigent.jpg

Spiel...picking out his prize...

13aspiel.jpg

Irishfield's wife Leah and Bly...

16blyleah.jpg

And this tender moment between TJ and his daughter......

14tjdaughter.jpg

And if you've ever wondered what the secret ingredient is in TJ's fish fry...here's an indication...I didn't eat any fish after seeing him do this....that's not oil he's pouring in....LOL.

17tjsecretingredient.jpg

After dinner, Bly and I headed out again....and only a few perch were caught...but I got a pic of this storm that was forming to the east of us....luckily it never hit Lakair. I thought it was kind of cool that the clouds almost exactly mimicked the tree line....

18sunsetfishing.jpg

After we got in, we found a bunch of people partying in a near by cabin. Rick, douG and I supplied some live music and a great time was being had by all. Here's a nice shot of Leah...I guess we know where Wayne gets his attitude from.....see how sweet and innocent the smile is as she flips the camera off??? LOL :lol:

19leahfinger.jpg

Here's a pic that I wont bother explaining....only to say that TJ was half naked and that's on of the Plumma brothers straddling him.....

19atjplumma.jpg

Sunday June 22nd.

Most of the crew left today, but Bly and I decided to make this an all fishing day. After saying bye to a few that left early, we headed out at around 730 to a different part of the lake that a few people mentioned. The morning was perfect...a nice cool breeze and comfortable temperatures. Both Bly and I caught our fair share of smallish pike that morning.

20cliffpike.jpg

23blypike.jpg

20acliffpike.jpg

We headed in around 1pm for lunch. After that, Bly decided to take it easy for a while and went back down to the docks and caught a few more pike. Here's a pic of one of them on the way in.

21pikedock.jpg

We went back out again after dinnner...this time the target was Walleye. We followed Spiel and Joey out to a proven producing spot and we got into a few nice ones. Two were given to Joey for a future meal and one went back that was in the slot. The winds were howling as we headed out, but shortly after, they calmed right down and it was just beautiful out there.

24cliffeye.jpg

22blywalleye.jpg

25cliffwalleyeagain.jpg

Well, that's about it for this year. It was GREAT seeing everyone again....as well as meeting a few people for the first time as well. The weather ended up perfect...the only rain we saw was at around 5am on Sunday....and I slept right though it. On the way home, we hit a severe thunderstorm, but it lasted only a few minutes.

Can't wait til next years G2G.....

Thanks to everyone who was there....hope to see you all again soon!

Edit: Totally forgot to add one of the most exciting things to the report....doh!! On Sunday morning, I was throwing some big spinners for muskie in a bay that Lew was telling me he caught a few the day before. I had one follow right to the boat. I excitedly said to bly "Hey..come see this!!". My heart was pounding as I started the figure 8. I paused for a second and the muskie lurched forward. My lure disappeared and I waited for a little tension on the line. I then set the hook and my heart sank as my lure flew out of the water and the muskie lazily slinked away. Bly followed up with a quick cast, followed by me, but he lost interest.....oh well...maybe next time!!

Edited by ccmt

Hey Cliff - as usual, great report and pictures. I have the same lights for the ball cap as you show in the last picture. If anyone is looking at getting a set - Princess Auto has them on sale for three and change - best price I have seen anywhere.

Don

:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Great report Cliff, looks like you guys are really getting the walleye jigging thing down pat :) .

Thanks Mike...this was the first time we've had luck jigging for them. It helped that the drift was ultra slow with a lake that has some weeds, but not a lot. They were hitting very lightly...most the time it felt like the jig was hitting the top of a weed. At least we know what to expect the next time we head out....it took a lot of patience and missed hits, but we were getting the hang of it by the end of the weekend.

Great stuff Cliff, was wondering when your report would show up. Sure looks like it was a load of fun, a nice mix of fishing and partying all around I'd say. Maybe next year I'll find the time to join you all up there.

Great stuff Cliff, was wondering when your report would show up. Sure looks like it was a load of fun, a nice mix of fishing and partying all around I'd say. Maybe next year I'll find the time to join you all up there.

We decided to stay an extra day so we could fish all day on Sunday....had perfect weather and actually caught some fish from our boat....LOL.

Awesome report guys! Glad you got into a few!.. you guys are lucky everything was to the east of you... (Which happens to be where I was, it was nasty LOL)

Surprised I am the only to pick up on this though...

Why is Carol wearing Glens hat???... Seems everyone is wearing Glens Hat!!!!!

dirt.. we need the dirt!

G

Edited by Gerritt

Awesome report guys! Glad you got into a few!.. you guys are lucky everything was to the east of you... (Which happens to be where I was, it was nasty LOL)

Surprised I am the only to pick up on this though...

Why is Carol wearing Glens hat???... Seems everyone is wearing Glens Hat!!!!!

dirt.. we need the dirt!

G

I believe that that is Waynes hat she is wearing - no? :whistling:

Don