Boat Care... Updated, With Pictures

Gerritt

I have some rub marks on the outside of my aluminum hull, not scratches but just rubbing... some of them are red from a friends dock.. is their anyway to remove them? and should I apply wax to the hull to prevent further marks? I do use bumpers but it seems a bit of rubbing is inevitable?..

I also left my spare tire in the boat while it was in storage.. I now have a brown ring (Tar?) on my vinyl flooring I have tried dish soap and a scrub brush but to no avail.. anyone know a way to remove this unsightly ring without doing damage to my new vinyl floor?

Thanks in advance!

G.

Edited by Gerritt

i have cheap vinyl tiles in my apt.spilled oven cleaner on the floor and it turned brown tried everything to get the poo coloured stain out then i tried an sos pad and presto.as for the hull not sure what to use.when my paint job was fresh on my boat i used to wax it this kept the lake scum from forming and made it easier to clean.now all i do is ocasinally vaccum the inside and go fishing the lake water washes it for me.

Thanks for all the advice guys!.. the rubbing compound worked great on the scuff marks!! I followed up with wax.... now to finish the rest of the boat LOL.. here are a few before and after pictures...

Before pictures...

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

And after...

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

As for the Tire Mark... I tried vinegar, Alcohol, Vim and even the stuff Paul suggested.... NOTHING is touching it!... before I rip the vinyl out in frustration is there any other suggestions?

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with..

DSC02410.jpg

Thanks again for any and all advice!

G

Take a crayon and write: "this circle was caused by a rusty spare tire. Please do not ask me any questions about it on penalty of being thrown overboard"

that should take care of it fine.

OR

as previously stated, buy a new boat.

Did you try the magic eraser on the rust? I've used them to get red dye stains from spilled nail polish off of countertops. Amazing what they'll take off without chemicals.

These magic eraser's are very impressive...

Made by mr clean...........

i was walking around house with it after seeing it work............ rubbing every stain i found......lol

another thing ive done on stains is use the powder laundry detergent....... seems to work well..........just kinda hard on hands :)

CLR is another that works like a champ............

I should have added I tried the Mr.Clean scrubber... my wife swears by them... That said this is not a rust stain.. This is from the tire itself and not the rim.. Be it tar, grease or some other chemical compound..

I am stumped here.. on what will remove this sticky brown junk from my vinyl... and have spend 30.00 on different treatment thus far to rid myself of it to no avail....

I have learned a lesson though...

Never leave you spare tire in the boat out in the sun!

G

Chris.. you may have a point!

Oh, sorry G - I totally blanked when you said it was sticky the first time. Duh.

2 years ago, we did the dance of 1,000 products with some dried sticker residue on our fibreglass. Unbelievable stuff, nothing was even making a dent in it. I finally got a cheap little can of Goof Off from Home Depot, and it was like a hot knife through butter. Amazing stuff. It's my go to for lost causes now.