Another Sugarpacket PB

Rich

was the snapper hooked? A year or 2 ago I was fishing in the fall for pike. I threw out a frozen smelt on a weight and just left it there. After no action after a while I reeled it in and saw a huge amount of weeds on my line. Like 10lbs worth. Got it right up to the bank and a snapper head shot out really far and hissed at me. He took the smelt and was hooked. Felt bad as I had to cut the line. Don't know what happened to it after that. Maybe the hook rusted out :) lol.

Edited by Beats

Nah, he grabbed the fish right up to the hook and ended up ripping it right off. I have hooked them before and just cut the line. I ain't risking my hand for no stinkin' turtle. lol

Man, I hate those things. There are some monsters around here too. A lot of fishermen go missing every year. The ministry knows what's going on but they are keeping it secret because they can't afford to do anything about it.

I snapped this pic last year. Never saw the guy again.

2594290042_b4f4e51c83.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Really cool shot!!! I used to fish an area that was polluted with snappers. Caught them regularly. If you hook one on a worm and hook? No mater how big? It comes up to the top like a log. But when I was fishing with minnows for pike? They would grab the minnow and they wouldn't let go, without actually knowing they are hooked and they would give me a major scrap!!!!

Nice snapper :whistling: . I caught this one at Wildwood on a deep diving crankbait. If you can grab them between the tail and one of the rear legs they can't reach to bite you.

3877turtle.jpg

Doesn't mean that they won't continue to try to take one of your fingers though.

Edited by jediangler

I have caught one on the otonabee that is MASSIVE ... it wouldn't even fit in my carp net. It was very ugly though... with all sort of stuff growing on its back. Attempted to net it but it was too big and ended up snapping the line ...

That's one cool picture Jedi ... I still remember Jamie (Crazyhook)'s picture though ... it's a similar shot but his was like 2-3 times bigger than yours

thoe things are vicious, we dont get them in England and i was pretty freeked out last year when i saw the first one i'd ever seen poke its head outta the waternear where i wa standing....they are huge!! this thing must've weighed 200lbs!!! Cool pic Jedi.

Great report Rich

I have caught one on the otonabee that is MASSIVE ... it wouldn't even fit in my carp net. It was very ugly though... with all sort of stuff growing on its back. Attempted to net it but it was too big and ended up snapping the line ...

That's one cool picture Jedi ... I still remember Jamie (Crazyhook)'s picture though ... it's a similar shot but his was like 2-3 times bigger than yours

I'm not proud of it but when we were kids we always carried frog stickers in the boats for whenever we encountered one of the hissing machines. They didn't survive the encounters. We used to have very small homemade boats (dunno what to call them but they were like an 8' kayak crossbred with a flatbottom wooden rowboat) that we paddled like canoes. We'd take them way up the Thames above St.Marys and when we were dragging them thru the shallows we'd come across the nasty critters. I really really hated them in those days. I've never been a particularly bloodthirsty soul but there just seemed to be something perfectly natural to my 12 year old way of thinking that these things just flat out deserved to die. I do feel bad about it to this day but I still get squeamish around them. We see some pretty big ones when we're wading up near Science Hill.

JF

I'm not proud of it but when we were kids we always carried frog stickers in the boats for whenever we encountered one of the hissing machines. They didn't survive the encounters. We used to have very small homemade boats (dunno what to call them but they were like an 8' kayak crossbred with a flatbottom wooden rowboat) that we paddled like canoes. We'd take them way up the Thames above St.Marys and when we were dragging them thru the shallows we'd come across the nasty critters. I really really hated them in those days. I've never been a particularly bloodthirsty soul but there just seemed to be something perfectly natural to my 12 year old way of thinking that these things just flat out deserved to die. I do feel bad about it to this day but I still get squeamish around them. We see some pretty big ones when we're wading up near Science Hill.

JF

I don't think anyone will hold your actions against you when you were 12 :) I've found from years of wading that I usually see them is when I almost step on them when walking a few feet from shore in the water. They just look like a great rock to step on..til you see the head. I see lots in the Thames, Bayfield, Maitland rivers. Like most animals that look intimidating, if left unprovoked they are quite docile and you could walk right by one without knowing. I've always had respect for unevolved animals in the rivers like snappers, gar and sturgeon that seem to have made it this far without dying off and seem prehistoric.