Rain Rain Rain!!

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

It has been either really windy or raining this year!! I hear that Europe is experiencing the same weather. had to even cancel a fishing trip tomorrow. :wallbash:

I know a lot of you guys still like to fish in the rain. Especially targeting Musky. I have had good Musky days in the rain. And fish bite live bait good in the rain, but on lures? The rain ruins visibility(for lures), concentration and everything else. How many people here do well fishing in the rain with lures?

I am not so much worried about the rain as it falls. I have have really great pike fishing in the pouring rain but the water wasn't chocolate milk because it had just rained that day and only for about an hour. What is starting to tick me off is that we can't seem to string 3 days of no rain together to let the rivers clear so water around the piers isn't too muddy to fish perch. Everytime for the last 3 weeks I have able to get away it is thunder ligthing and pouring :o(

I see this weekend is also 40% Saturday and 80% Sunday chance of rain. Hopefully there are wrong but I doubt they will be.

Guest Johnny Bass

Ya, its crazy. They say we have had more lightning in the first half of June than we usually average an entire year! :blink:

And usually by the beginning of June we start having warm nights, but the nights have been pretty cold!

We up here in Northwestern Ontario are going through the same thing. Highs are basically around 17C, a bit higher on certain days, a bit lower on others. But every day seems to have some rain in it, whatever the probability of precipitation happens to be.

And, lots of wind

We have still managed to get out, just gotta pick the lakes to fish with the wind conditions predicted(read guessed by the weather gurus).

After we received 80mm of rain 2 fridays ago, and lots of washouts including the Trans-Canada highway for 2 days, lots of the bush roads are still in bad shape, and saturated with water. Even if they are graded, a couple of days of people traveling on them has them rutted up again.

But, with Superior still something like 8 inches below normal, I say bring on the steady rains to bring it back up to normal levels, and to help our area people with wells to have water this coming winter, instead of having to transport it home from the city water supply stations.

I can handle fishing in the rain, and light winds. Done it before many times. Lightning..........I am outta there.

We up here in Northwestern Ontario are going through the same thing. .

Yup.....its driving me nuts....wont stop me going out...cuz i need my fix...however somedays the wind has been the main issue...specially with my 16' tinny. Have had some luck with lures for bass, pike and walleye in the rain this past couple of ewweeks though. Was not raining very hard most days though.

I would never cancel a trip due to rain. Just go man!!!

I went out tonight for a couple hours......the weather was crap. WINDY, cold and almost raining.......I still got 2 nice eyes, a small musky, and a crappie......all on spinnerbaits. I have no idea what the crappie was thinking....LOL.

Just go......the forcast will be wrong anyways.....then you'll regret it!! Its hard to regret a day on the water......even a bad one!!

Sinker

well.. for me.. i rather not take that risk.. after 1.5-2 hour drive + all the packing + $65 in gas + possible launch fee = not a risk i want to take just to check if the weatherman was right or not...

ESPECIALLY if im not guaranteed a skie! LOL... oh musky musky, where are you..

When the rain is just a drizzle the entire day with slight wind under 15 km/hour, fishing will be very good on under 8 ft of shallow water. When the rain is pouring practically the whole time and wind gets to 20 km and up, fishing will not be too good.

When it is about to rain, clouds turn dark, and wind just builds up right after a sunny day, fishing will be good as well.

3 days of constant on and off slight rain during the day can be a good thing , as long as it is not a thunderstorm, that might scare off the fish and force them to hide deep.

Tough decision to make, Check the wind forecast, and I would not let rain bother my fishing that much, under 15km wind go! Over 20 km wind, stay home!

If the temp gets warmer at noon time, it will also be better fishing , and you do not need to wake up too early.

Guest Johnny Bass

Well I canceled the trip and woke up to sunny skies!!! :wallbash:

Top water in the rain?How can the fish home in on the sound when the rain is hitting the entire surface of the lake?? Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Kevin hit it right on the nose. Its wasting the money to go out and then having to bear uncomfortable conditions with no fish. It said 5-10 mm of rain. Thats a lot of rain. If it was light rain, that would have been fine.

Call me Alex!!!

I wont be able to go fishing this weekend and want to get out this week!!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass
WHITIES ON SIMCOE????

LOL........

i say lets linch the weather man!!!!!

Whities on Simcoe? Its calling for 20K winds on Simcoe!

I'm not sure about lynching the weatherman but theweathernetwork has been for sale for awhile!

They seem to be getting better(even though they screw up from time to time) and hopefully one day they will figure it out!!

Those guys that live close to the lake are so lucky!!!

Rain will not stop me from :Gonefishing: Thunder and lightning, yes.

Heavy winds? Depends if I'm on big water or not.

As for fishining the rain, jigs, floating raps and the biggest, loudest topwater in my box could find a tussle. But I find I have a more luck chucking spoons in the rain for pike than all of the above.

reefrunner

Guest Johnny Bass
Rain will not stop me from :Gonefishing: Thunder and lightning, yes.

Heavy winds? Depends if I'm on big water or not.

As for fishining the rain, jigs, floating raps and the biggest, loudest topwater in my box could find a tussle. But I find I have a more luck chucking spoons in the rain for pike than all of the above.

reefrunner

Spoons hey? I will give it a try. I have limited luck in the rain! I guess it is a confidence thing and its just me. I guess fish do bite in the rain. Next time it rains I will fish harder! Thanks for your input guys!

Rain sucks, but thats why we have rain suits. Here, if we plan on going fishing we go. If we wait for a sunny day...who knows when that will be, so, we go. Thunder?Lightening....if 14footer is on plan faster than the lightening.

As for fishing, cant say i notice a difference. We mainly use spinner rigs with bottom bouncers, and jig the odd time, and its usually the same, sometimes even better when its raining. Cant say too much about the water clarity here...i dont think it changes to much for me to comment on that

I guess this is where I say " I told ya so" :P

Summer weather is almost impossible to predict. Its either nothing like whats been predicted, or its even worse than predicted. I still go either way. Most times, if it does rain......it doesn't last long........and if it does rain all day......there's usually no lightening.

It was a great day around here all day long. I did't see a drop of rain......a little windy, but fishable.

Just go next time.......I always do.

Sinker

Rain usually is accompanied by rotten winds most weekends in Long Point and that keeps me off the Bay.

Next week though at the French River if it is raining you will still find us out there just in raingear. Winds usually don't get too bad so it is still safe. If there is lightning though, we will be in the cottage waiting it out.

I have given up on the Weather Network though, just prefer the eyewitness weather - wake up, witness it and then decide.

I guess this is where I say " I told ya so" :P

hahah I was thinking that..

never cancel a trip due to rain

a) the weatherman's wrong, OFTEN

B) you wont catch a thing on the couch

honestly, i'll take rain over wind. high winds make boat control difficult and can make for a frustrating day.

Guest Johnny Bass

Well??I end up going fishing yesterday with Al. The skies were nice and blue but when we were about 15 minutes away, we started to encounter dark skies, and the ground was wet, so it must have already rained up there. The minute we get to the launch? It starts to rain! :wallbash:

We launched and it rained on and off for the first 2 hours. First hour we targeted Musky. Nothing. Not even a follow. The second 1/2 hour or so, we targeted pickerel. Nothing. The wind made it hard to fish so we headed for a few spots that were protected from the wind. Then it started pouring and it poured for 3 1/2 hours non stop, till we left.....

The fishing sucked. We picked up a few pickerel(3) before the rain started and only 2 pickerel were caught in the heavy rain. One of those was snagged by the gills!

I was soaked. Especially because Al's boat plows water and I got soaked riding around without my rain gear. I was soaked to the bone and had to fish in my shorts. It was cold! It was uncomfortable and the fishing sucked! I think I will leave fishing in the rain to you guys. If I was on a fishing trip, thats different. I would fish rain or shine but if I had a choice? I would not pick rainy days!

Mini Report coming soon!