Landing Musky in a kayak

singingdog

I am planning on targetting musky more this year. I have caught a few - PB in the kayak is 36" - and have always released them in the water using jaw spreaders and long-nosed pliers. To avoid handling them and to make release easier, I have always fished lures with single hooks (spinnerbaits mostly). I want to fish some lures with trebles, but would like a better way to handle the fish. So (finally) my question for the experienced musky handlers: Are the lip-grips a good way to handle a good sized musky? -or- should I just figure out how to use a net in the kayak? I am worried about injuring a big fish with the lip-grip. Is that a danger?

Like you, my biggest musky in a kayak is 36". All I have ever used is a landing glove or bare hands. I too fish with single or single treble hooks only. Had a little one jump into my lap with a bucktail in it's mouth. If it had been a j-13 rapala or other lure with 2 or 3 treble hooks this story might have ended with a trip to the emergency room. I have a gift certificate for BPS and was also thinking of a boga grip for musky in the kayak. From what I've heard you're better off spending more $ on the original boga than the cheaper imitations. I hope someone with experience using these lip grippers can shed some light on their usefullness with musky landing.

If you're sticking to single hooks, a simple landing glove is more than enough. Muskies are easy to tail and cradle into your lap for hook removal. Boga grips can be dangerous to muskies' jaws.

Another note, you might want to put a wet piece of plastic or something over your lap to prevent removing the fishes' protective slime. Or better yet, remove the hook in the water. Probably easier to take pics of your catch in a kayak that way anyway.

Muskies are easy to tail and cradle into your lap for hook removal.

No offense Rich, but you obviously have never handled a big musky.

I've been fishing for muskies for 35 years and have landed many 100's of them, and I STILL wouldn't hold one in my lap in order to remove the hooks, especially if I was alone in a kayak.

They have enormous power, and if your holding that fish by the tail, you have no control over her head and when she starts to use her awesome strength to twist out of your grip, there's every chance she's gonna drive that protruding hook someplace you don't want to have it.

As for the lip-grip, some guys use them with success while holding a fish in the water at the side of the boat while the hooks are removed.

The original Boga Grip has a swivel that MAY allow the fish to twist without breaking her jaw, but I personally wouldn't trust them although others may argue that point. Some of the knock-off lip grippers do NOT swivel and if you've got it locked on a fish's jaw and she goes into a roll....which they often do....chances are her jaw will be broken.

A firm grip on the gill plate is an excellent way to hold a fish's head still while hooks are removed and can be done easily in the water, and if she starts to roll, you can still maintain control of her head......usually.

Not sure what the best method would be for controlling a large fish at the side of a kayak, but I think the lip-gripper may be a bad choice, specially for the fish.

some great pionts Lew.

I have caught a few pretty big muskies over the years, and personally although it may be a huge thrill, I don't know if I would want to try and land one in a kayak, I have never caught a musky in a canoe for comparison but have caught a few pretty big pike in the 40 incher plus range and with partner in the canoe..who ever didn't have the fish on would paddle and beach the canoe, get out on shore and land the fish...although I don't see how one can do that in a kayak alone.

Question for Singingdog...you say you have caught a 36 incher in the kayak...have you ever fought or caught a really big one before??? not neccessarily from the kayak, I mean ever, from boat shore or whatever....don't get me wrong a 3 footer fish is pretty nice and might run into the high teens as far as weight goes,but there is a huge difference between that and fish into the 50 incher plus range and getting into the 30-40lber mark....that's a whole new ball game for sure. We are talking fish that will easily pull around your boat..possibly make huge leaps out of the water...and then ya get them close to the boat and they really decide to fight :lol:

Bringing fish this size into a decent sized boat can make the boat seem small awefull quick let alone a kayak, I had one on that was about 35lbs in my 14 foot tinner with my wife and smallest daughter in the boat last summer, and when my wife asked me if I wanted her to try and net it for me....when I first got the fish close to the boat and saw it, I said to her.." you better just get to the front of the boat and put Emily on your lap because if this thing comes into the boat it'snot going to be pretty" :o ....after a huge last minute burst of energy the 3rd time I got it to the boat it jumped out of the water like 10 times and finally got off because it starightened the crap out of my swivel on my leader....luckily for the fish I was not using a big crank loaded with trebles I was using a single hook and a big chub fishing for pike...so the fish got away with only one big baitholder style hook in it. It surprized the crap out of the other 3 boats in the area that where watching me fight this fish..specially the one guy who's boat it jumped right beside....This fish even if I got it at boatside and "landed" I still had my doubts on wether I even wanted to try and put it in the boat or not for safety of the fish as well as my wife and daughter in the boat.

Don't get me wrong, I am not even trying to brag here, just trying to give an example of personal experience..I have not even come close to boating 100's of muskies like Lew pointed out from his adventures, but I have caught a few in the 50 incher plus range and it really is a whole different ball game than for example the reports that you see from guys fishing in the Kawartha chain or the likes and catching them in the 2 to 3 footer range..add another 20 inches of fury to those fish and it really is a whole other ball game. :Gonefishing:

If ya plan on trying to land a monster in the kayak, be safe out there man :)

c30gillhold500dpi.jpg

Slide your fingers beneath the inside edge of the musky’s gill flap, being careful not to put your fingers between the red gill rakers - there will be almost a natural pocket there for your fingers. Then firmly press your thumb in the fleshy part just below the musky’s lower jaw. Believe it or not, this will give you good control of the fish should they do this:

poedmuskie.jpg

While that fish wasn't all that big, it went monkey-poop on me. Relax your arm, hold on tight with your grip and let her fizzle out.

On smaller fish, depending on the size of your hands, you can just grab them from over top, holding their gills closed.

Edited by Raf

Guest Johnny Bass

I too would take the hooks out in the water if your dealing with treble hooks. I also suggest getting some big spreaders and extra long pliers and some hook cutters, if your doing something like that. I personally have been sticking to the single hook....

You'd think with all the money people are spending on Musky gear? These people could figure out a better boga grip for musky's than two metal hooks. Maybe 2 big rubber mouth pieces at the end of a boga type tool that clamps down a larger area of the Musky's jaw, that swivels or something.

Edited by Johnny Bass

I find the grip that Raf demonstrated above would best apply to your situation. It is pretty intimidating. On a personal note, I caught a 35lbs to 40lbs out of the moon basin a couple years back in a canoe and was faced with the same situation you are envisioning. In this instance, we just headed to shore, which was maybe 20 feet away, and got out and released her in knee deep water as I didn't want to risk flipping the canoe.

Would a cradle be too much in a yak? I've never fished from a yak.

reefrunner

Wear your PFD too. :whistling: You might end up swimming.

Never let both your shoulders cross the centerline of your kayak.

LOL! Singingdog has intentionally done that i'm sure! Not all his kayaking has been done on flat water!

I hate to discourage kayak-fishing, cause thats a great way to get on the water, but I'm not convinced a kayak is the best choice of craft for Muskie fishing. In a decent sized fishing boat with all the right gear to land and safely release a Muskie, It can still be a real trying experience!

I've caught a few musky and pike from both an inflatable and hard-shell kayak.

med_gallery_82_84_41313.jpg

med_gallery_82_84_53905.jpg

med_gallery_82_84_58760.jpg

med_gallery_82_84_13510.jpg

med_gallery_82_84_8819.jpg

My 1st rule:

If you're close to shore/shallows; get out and land the fish safely.

I have not used a boca or net because I know that both will compromise the Kayaks balance (particularly with a big fish)

I would also recommend a sit-on-top kayak for better handling and safety.

Otherwise, (well, you already know this!)

Have all the tools handy and try to release in-water. Yaks are so low to the water that I've found it easy.

However, you are that much closer to the fish and if it freaks, you're both in danger. Painful danger. :stretcher:

Netting isn't much of an option from a kayak. If the fish fights, let go. Try again.

Pictures are a luxury unless you have a good set-up like some experienced yak anglers have.(See: Jediangler).

Check out some of the Ocean fishing kayak sites.

Edited by SNAG

Very cool photos SNAG.

Thanks Reefer,

As I mentioned, I'm not equipped for the glory/money/happy-ending shot with fish in hand.

Perhaps this year I'll fix that.

I'm too much of a spaz that I'll drop the camera or drown myself.

Im suprised that no one has mentioned a gaff. Used properly they are an excellent tool for landing and releasing musky. In fact its my prefered method when catching them from a canoe. Fight the fish out bring it boatside slip the point of the gaff inside the mouth and there is a paper thin layer of tissue between the jawbone and the floor of the mouth. Slip the point through here lift just the fishes head out of the water and cut the hooks off with bolt cutters, slide the gaff back out and musky quickly swims away. Years ago I bought this wonderful gaff that closes and has three feet of rope lead here pic of it

griffinandJohn.jpg

I cant remember the name of the manufacturer but it is awesome for using from a canoe and allows the musky to remain calm in the water while you prepare to remove the hooks and take a quick picture.

When the fish get huge its just time to pull over and handle it from shore

Brad1.jpg

c30gillhold500dpi.jpg

Slide your fingers beneath the inside edge of the musky’s gill flap, being careful not to put your fingers between the red gill rakers - there will be almost a natural pocket there for your fingers. Then firmly press your thumb in the fleshy part just below the musky’s lower jaw. Believe it or not, this will give you good control of the fish should they do this:

poedmuskie.jpg

While that fish wasn't all that big, it went monkey-poop on me. Relax your arm, hold on tight with your grip and let her fizzle out.

Nice going on being able to show others how to secure a by hand.

Knowing this is most important for landing and removing hooks on musky.

Raf, this fish freaking in a net happened to me last year,

this was the result

cut.jpg

The post below by Musky and Specks absolutely sounds like the way to catch and secure muskies from a kayak.

Great job Musky and Specks!

Im suprised that no one has mentioned a gaff. Used properly they are an excellent tool for landing and releasing musky. In fact its my prefered method when catching them from a canoe. Fight the fish out bring it boatside slip the point of the gaff inside the mouth and there is a paper thin layer of tissue between the jawbone and the floor of the mouth. Slip the point through here lift just the fishes head out of the water and cut the hooks off with bolt cutters, slide the gaff back out and musky quickly swims away. Years ago I bought this wonderful gaff that closes and has three feet of rope lead here pic of it

griffinandJohn.jpg

I cant remember the name of the manufacturer but it is awesome for using from a canoe and allows the musky to remain calm in the water while you prepare to remove the hooks and take a quick picture.

When the fish get huge its just time to pull over and handle it from shore

Brad1.jpg

It's almost like Musky landing and hook removal 101, great replies :clapping:

that certainly does look nasty ehg.

often times, it's the little guys that get you. they seem to have "the rage". or maybe you get a little complacant or a bit of both. real important to have a good set of cutters on board (ie. knipex) when one hook is attached to you and the other to a POed fish. i was just going to pop the hook out and water release, fish had other ideas and the trailer got me. muskybill cut it in half and i pushed the rest through, operation took seconds and bill, always on the lookout for gore, was ready for the photo-op:

littleonesgetya1.jpg

littleonesgetya2.jpg

they say once an animal tastes human bloody they want more.. there's a killer growing in a lake in ontario. :lol:

Edited by Raf

I always take an extra second with the little ones. I find the big ones are more lazy...the "teenagers" just flip out and go ape shiite on ya......be careful!!

I have a bud who took a bunch of stitches when a musky that was on a crankbait flipped out at boatside, got a hook in his arm just below his elbow.....and the fish took off.....ripping a gash almost to his wrist!!

I like my spinnerbaits with single hooks for that reason alone. If you get them, you've usually got them good, and its an easy release.

Sinker

Seeing as were talkin about war wounds :oops:

I was fish'n with Musky-Man one day and got a little 35"er, and as I lifted her into the boat, she did a flip and gashed my hand open to the tune of 8 stitches........gotta watch those dinks for sure.

Another time I was fishing with Chemong Rick who used to be on this board a few years back.

We'd only just met for the 1st time about 30 minutes before I got this girl and she sliced my knuckle darned near to the bone with her teeth when she zigged instead of zagged and caught me off guard.

You can see the blood on my left hand and my pants, but the worst part was Rick had a white floor in his boat and after I was done it looked more red than anything. I don't think I made too much of an impression with our 1st ever fish'n trip together :lol::lol:

Cnv0077.jpg

I learned my lesson last summer.

Dont ever take a Muskie's strength or predictability for granted !!

I had a buddy of mine come up and try for muskie with his son for 2 days.

We weren't trolling more than 20 mins when he lands his first ever musky on a Believer.

As I was bringing her into the boat ,I noticed she was hooked by the last set of trebles.

I can still remember telling my buddy...."this is how we end up in the hospital".....

I get her into the boat and as I am trying to remove the hooks he leans over to see the chompers on the pretty girl. Right at that moment she thrashes and drives the middle set of hooks into his arm.

Thank god I had a decent pair of pliers in the boat and managed to quickly cut the hook and dash to the hospital ( we got nice pics of the fish and released her...unharmed).

Anyhoo, since then....I have purchased extra long bent needle-nose pliers, a good pair of mini bolt cutters and a few packs of 5 odd trebles. Since this mis-hap, I no longer try to dig out hooks. I simply cut the hooks and replace the entire treble. It may cost a little more for the hooks but its well worth it NOT having to go to the hospital any more !!

I have never even had a close call since switching to this techinque.

Meely

Edited by Meely