Was it really 64 years ago.........

JFR

.......young men from the farms, small towns and cities through out Canada, USA and Britain, answered the call and gathered in England, to break the iron grip that Nazi Germany had around the throats of European people.

These young boy/men, would eventually become our fathers, uncles, grandfathers and mentors and went on to form the Greatest Generation, and in the process created the greatest countries.

They passed onto their children the responsibilities that freedom and democracy must be defended always. Today our troops are carrying on this tradition.

If your grand dad is still with you, ask him about his experiences during that time, and thank him for the many sacrifices.

If you see an older gentleman driving and his licence displays a poppy, smile and wave and thank him if you can.

John

Well said John and I'm proud & thankful to say that both my Dad, in the Navy, & his brother in the Army, took part in the invasion on day 1 and the days that followed and they both survived the horror of those days.

My dad didn't talk about the war too much, but he sometimes talked about D Day and the unbelievable number of ships & planes involved. He was on a ship just off the coast of France and said there were so many planes in the sky that it was almost like clouds blocking out the sun.

We all owe an awful lot to the "kids" of that generation.

Edited by lew

Thanks John. My mother lost her first husband 6 months after they were married...

She kept the obit, and his last letter to her, its quite touching, how homesick those "boys" were. Ill see if I can dig it out.. its quite "sobering"

HOPEFULLY we have come along way in that short time and the world will not see a day such as that again . Two uncles and my dad were there that day . My gradmother lost her oldest son ,but my dad and one uncle made it through . Like LEWS dad , my dad didnt speak much of the war but he would tell me stories of that day and the huge amounts of ships and planes and people and the noise and kaos. NO ONE IN CANADA should forget that day and the sacrifices made .

How many times was stuff like this in the paper back then... I'm pretty sure he never made it home to the "Highway of Heroes"

harryrouse.jpg

Thanks so much for posting -- first thing I thought this morning was...hey, it's D-Day. Didn't hear word one about it on the radio on my way in...actually started to wonder if I was wrong about the date! Some nut-bar announcer thought it was more important to call it National Yo-yo day, in honour of the guy who invented yo-yos on this date. :wallbash:

Thanks again -- and a big thanks to our vets, past and present :)

Although not 11/11 It still has alot of value, so I will share it to those who have not seen it. Gets me every time...

Another song worth a listen is Julian Austin's The Red and White

lest we forget

All gave some, some gave all

Edited by Bill Parker

Thanks for posting, my parents were children in Holland in WW2 and lost many relatives in camps.

My mom's family helped several families and allied airmen to hide and escape.

I am grateful for all who fought in action and deed for our freedom.

Dan

Last friday I was at the Community centre in the town of Meota where I work. I came across a Plaque hidden behind the doors leading to the gym with serving members for WW2. What amazed me was there was 79 names on that plaque. This is a SMALL TOWN. every perso of age must of served from this town. What gets me is the so called Zombies (term they used in english quebec for war dodgers) that got away from serving while others set foot on the shores of France and never came home. The best movie dipicting D-Day is the Longest Day. Excellent movie, only one problem. The only time Canadians were mention is when Carrol Oconner mention during his briefing "The CANADIANS HAVE TAKEN JUNO AND GOLD BEACHES