Bear Spray??

TJQ

After seeing the number of bears out there by our camp this year, plus the fact that the kids are older and exploring around camp more... its occured to me that I should probably send them out with bear spray when they are walking around... funny thing is I dont remember seeing it anywhere for sale....

Does anyone know where to get it in Ontario?????

NOOO The bells and pepper joke would be inappropriate at this time.

Thats never inappropriate..... except when it happens to you..

Just a suggestion if you do go that route of getting the spray, buy an extra can or 2, expensive yes but a instructional session in a gravel pit or somewhere could very well make a big difference. Knowing how spray reacts will greatly assist in effective safe use.

Be sure to instill observing the wind direction before spraying....

Just a suggestion if you do go that route of getting the spray, buy an extra can or 2, expensive yes but a instructional session in a gravel pit or somewhere could very well make a big difference. Knowing how spray reacts will greatly assist in effective safe use.

Be sure to instill observing the wind direction before spraying....

Ya know... thats very good advice....

Cranksbait is correct... my wife's cousin lived in Jasper for 30 years and never left the house for a trip in the woods without her bells! She is an avid climber and most times, spent her time alone on the mountain. The most dangerous thing one can do with bears is catch them by surprise, it will put them in defense mode very quickly.

Carrying bells with you lets the bear hear you well before you encounter it face to face and they will tend to run away before you even knew they were there.

HH

You may want to consider investing in a couple of these TJ:

safetycentral_2004_54788687.gif

Not only will the sound skeer the she-yit outta the bear, but will also alert you that they're in trouble.

I keep one in my boat at all times incase of an emergency.

You can buy them online here:

http://www.safetycentral.com/orsasiairho8.html

The bear spray can also be purchased online. Just google bear spray Canada.

Edited by Greencoachdog

SHHHHHHHHSS Yogi, be still and be quiet. Hear da bells jingling? Dat could only mean one thing. Tonight's menu will either have reindeer or a hugely fat and red supper.

I have never set off a can of bear repel so this might not be the same thing. how would a small fire extingisher compare as far as to show the kids how to use it? It might be cheaper and safer than actually setting off the pepper spray.

Art

Wind direction, as mentioned, is very important. First time I blew off pressurized spray I was pointing it up wind and man was I in for a surprise!

:rolleyes:

Didja learn a "life lesson"???

... don't whizz or bear spray into the wind! :w00t: ... especially if you have your mouth open!!! :wallbash:

From what i've read, consensus is that the bells don't do much because they are too high pitched which means the sound doesn't carry nor will an animal associate a high sound with something large like a human or predator. I have a lot of friends who have remote cabins in bad bear areas and none recommend using bells. They say you should talk to someone or yourself, step on a lot of sticks to break branches, and carry spray. They all carry handguns themselves...of course this is in the US.