Trolling motor question

idesign

I need to get trolling motor for my new boat.Some1 suggested me here that i need to trolling motor with wireless controller for my boat.How about i put small 2hp outboard.Will it do job for trolling.let me know.thank you

attached is pic of my boat.Please let me know.Thank you

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I think there's some confusion going on for 'new angler'. Electric "trolling motors" aren't really used for 'trolling', Not usually anyway. They really should be called Electric "positioning" motors. We generally used them for moving around in shallow water, or deep water while casting. They can be used to control a 'drift' or for any close quarters boat maneuvers. Most gas outboards are suitable for trolling, some boats have a 'kicker', a small outboard that is good for slower trolling and also as a back-up in case the main engine fails. Most electric 'trolling motors' are mounted at the front on the bow, which allows it to 'pull' the boat around.

Here's a Minn Kota brand Powerdrive bow mounted Electric Motor.

boat_21.jpg

I hope this clears things up, or if you already understood this, didn't feel insulted...

Edited by Pigeontroller

i use my minn kota for trolling very slow dragging worm harnesses with snap weights,,if you put the minnkota straight with the bow you can steer with the main motor. i have two large batteries that i use because a day of trolling will use alot of juice,, i would suggest a foot control electric ,,you can also use it for shore casting for any species,,just make sure you buy a big enough one ,,ask the salesman and know the weight of your boat ,,,good luck..

you guys are wrong on my new Lund 16 footer I have a 2hp Honda Kicker that can push my boat 4.5mph if needed .

Trolling in 2 to 3 foot chop was not a problem the motor is a long shaft my boat weighs 845lbs empty add 215lbs with my 50hp.

my last boat was an 18 footer and I had an 8hp kicker which was more than enough.This could easily get me back in if ever there was a problem with the big motor.Its all in the lenghth of the shaft people.

DSCF1577_1.JPG

This was on kijiji, the Minn Kota Vantage. Takes 2 batteries because it is 24 volt. Good strong transom style of trolling motor. Go to their site and check it out.

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-bo...QQAdIdZ47718966

hmm.. i think the seller is located in regina though ... :unsure:

Have you tried taking it out on the water and go as slow as possible? Using a drift sock will slow everything down and it might get to a speed slow enough for your trolling. I have never tried any of this though ... but sounds like it would work.

you guys are wrong on my new Lund 16 footer I have a 2hp Honda Kicker that can push my boat 4.5mph if needed .

Trolling in 2 to 3 foot chop was not a problem the motor is a long shaft my boat weighs 845lbs empty add 215lbs with my 50hp.

my last boat was an 18 footer and I had an 8hp kicker which was more than enough.This could easily get me back in if ever there was a problem with the big motor.Its all in the lenghth of the shaft people.

DSCF1577_1.JPG

I believe his boat is a bit heavier.

I need to get trolling motor for my new boat.Some1 suggested me here that i need to trolling motor with wireless controller for my boat.How about i put small 2hp outboard.Will it do job for trolling.let me know.thank you

How heavy is the boat?

I only have one for positioning like mentioned.

It is better to pull then push too...

Oh and when talking about ;) my name is Jack, Jack Hammer... :D

Pro's and Con's to consider. Need to run wire? Cost to run, Gas VS Bat? Just a few things to think of too...

No matter, good luck with what you do so enjoy and cheers.

I'm supposed to p/up my boat this week. It has a 40 HP and 55lb bow mount. I am going to try a drift sock before comitting to a kicker.

You're really gonna like that bow mount Glenn! You don't need a kicker, the bow mounts these days are very energy efficient. I can run mine all day and use only 40% of the battery. Drift socks are very good too,they take a little getting used to... but once you get the hang of it you'll love it!

Kickers are very handy if the big motor breaks down far away from the launch.

I'm supposed to p/up my boat this week. It has a 40 HP and 55lb bow mount. I am going to try a drift sock before comitting to a kicker.

Glenn, your 40 should troll down fine. Mine does. If I need to go slower than 1.5mph, I use the electric.

New angler, your going to want an electric. IMO, you'll get more use out if it than you would with a small gas kicker. A gas kicker is great if you plan on doing a lot of trolling, but an electric will serve more than one purpose. I'd sugggest a power drive unit, with the 18ft cable on the foot pedal. That way once the electric is in the water, you can operate it from anywhere on the boat, and you can also set it to go straight, and steer with the main motor for trolling.

Sinker