Thunderstorms and New PB's - May 31st

Rich

So after work today we were offered the use of the FORD (tried to think of a clever "filth" related name, but figured Ford was good enough to get the point across). So we strapped the Filth Hound in and headed to where the grass is always greener (due to algae blooms) - Dunnville.

Most people will gasp and say "oh my gawd, you crazy! CRAAZZZZZZZYYYYY!" when I say this, but our target species was not the ever so famous Dunnville walleye. Nor was it the infamous and heavily fished silver bass that were brought to recent fame. Not even the ugly catfish was the light of our eyes as we launched on this windy day. Our target today - sheephead. I know, like, what are you thinking Rich & Sugarpacket?

Well, if you're after some quick jigging action and an excellent (yes excellent despite what others may say) fight then sheephead are the ticket.

We got the boat out and played around for an hour, I refused to put live bait on my yellow grub and Sugarpacket just used plain worms on a hook. She was the first to hook into a fish, which turned out to be the tiniest channel cat ever. I of course reached for the camera to capture this beast and that's when we realized we had forgotten it. Well, with that, we knew we were in for big fish. Truth be told, we tricked them into biting today. Little did the fish know my cell phone takes pretty good pics.. y'know, for a cell phone.

7.jpg

Then the storm started. At first it was just a light rumble now and then.. suddenly the lightning was straight overhead, and the thunder literally rattled the sides of our aluminum filth hound. Sugarpacket was bugging me to go in, to which I replied "one more drift" but that excuse could only work for so long. We escaped the rain, docked the boat at the town docks and headed for shelter at a gazebo where we met the spokesman for Dunnville's citizens! There he was, sitting alone in the rain, drinking beer (heavily) from his gulp cup and offering fishing tips from years past. Nice guy, but man, we could smell the hops & barley from the river! In the time it took to hit the (surprisingly clean) porta-potty and scratch a couple Instant Bingo tickets the storm had passed. And with a few quick swipes of the bail bucket we were back on the river.

I couldn't visit Dunnville for very long without at least TRYING to catch a walleye, so we tossed our lines and attempted trolling for a short time. One lost bottom bouncer later I said screw this and we headed back to sheephead town.

This time I meant business. I tipped the Grub of Destiny with half a worm and plunked it out in about 4 feet of water. I informed Sugarpacket "everytime we hit the drop off in this spot, we will hook at least one". I was barely finished the sentence when I laid hook into my new PB. I have no idea how much it weighed since the scale was laying at home with the camera, but it was certainly bigger than any I have landed and most I have ever seen.

6.jpg

5.jpg

For once, I was right. Everytime we hit the drop on this spot we were into one. Never got any double headers, it was like we were taking turns landing fish. Many small ones, and some above average like this one:

4.jpg

Grubs & worms is all it took. But after fishing the spot so many times we felt so unaccomplished and ventured to different spots, looking just to figure them out a little better and put some more legwork in.

In the other spots, we landed quite a few small cats as well which never made the pictures, mostly in the 1 - 3lbs range. Surprisingly, no bullheads or silver bass caught today.

Finally we joined the crowd and parked up close to the dam. This was a much deeper spot but there was a current break and plenty of warm water coming over so we knew there had to be some fish about. It took a little longer, but eventually Sugarpacket laid hook into HER new PB sheephead (once again no idea of the weight) on a little mix-up in technique - grub tipped with a chunk of sucker meat.

2-1.jpg

And I tell ya, I'd like someone who argues about the fight of sheephead to be sitting in my spot today watching her try to land this thing. What a brute. I thought for sure she had a 10 pound channel cat on the whole time.

The night wore on, and we landed a few more smaller sheephead before finally calling it quits.

Couldn't have been a better afternoon. Even the presence of the storm didn't seem to hinder things. If anything, it made the fishing even better. For anyone who hates sheephead - shame on you! They're a ton of fun, especially on 6 pound test. It's like jigging for walleye on steroids. Now, if only they were good to eat, and they'd be tops on my list of fish to catch.

Just another day on the water for the Filth Family. :lol: