Another relaxing evening in the yard

limeyangler

Hi All,

Got back from a 4 day shift at work away from home at about 3pm yeaterday. Started to mess with the boat , trying to get it ready as i got my motor back, but the sun was out, it was warm, i was tired, the wife was not at home and the beautiful water on the lake was calling to me.....oh well, guess i can do the boat tomorrow and sit and fish :whistling:

I headed down the lawn with my rod, the minnows in my trolling bait bucket were still good so i decided to go with the slip bobber and chartreuse jig/minnow as i had been doing pretty well with that. i love fishing with slip bobbers, its a hang over from my sea bass and mackerel fishing days.

Not much happening for the first half hour. There was absolutely wind, flat calm and glassy. Although nice not to have the wind howling (it was even snowing the previous day) I do better with the bobber and in general with a bit of chop on the water.

Anyway, after half an hour i was almost dozing off :sleeping_02: , probably would have but i was chugging a Red Bull B), when my bobber started doing the walleye waltz...lol....what i mean is that the bobber rarely goes straight under when its a walleye, instead it usually lifts up, lies flat then goes for a little walk around. Struck and landed a good eater about 12 or 14".

HALF WAY TO SUPPER WITH THIS ONE

img_0810.jpg

Put another minnow on and cast out, the bobber got twisted in the line on the cast so i started to retrieve and a big pike tried to nail the bait right at my feet as i was lifting the jig out of the water. I cast out again and decided to do the slow retrieve with the bobber again. I cast out three times and retrieved slowly, on the fourth cast i was about to start the wind in but no sooner had the bobber settled it shot under and the slack line out on the surface of the water was going tight quickly, i was pretty sure it was a biggish pike, and having only 6lb line with an 8lb flouro leader on this rod it was a race to check and adjust the drag before the slack was gone and i connected, i managed to adjust the drag....only thing is i made it too loose in my haste.....i managed to video the pike i caught whilst reeling in and desperately trying to adjust the drag...who says only women are good at multi tasking!!!

AFTER A BIT OF MESSING AROUND IT WAS LANDED

th_MVI_0810.jpg

I thought after the hit on the retrieve, and given that there was no wind or current to give the bait movement on the bobber set up i would try a mepps spinner. I probably made about 30 casts with the mepps when i got a hit. I did not manage to set the hook the first time , so cast out and retrieved along the same path, and like so many times before the fish hit again, almost in exactly the same spot as before. It did not feel very big and it wasn't, a small pike.........but is it......it had very pronounced tiger stripes on its side and its fins were very red/pink at the tips......I’ve caught what i thought was a pike before and been told later when showing pics that it was a pike/musky hybrid....I’d like to think it was. Was trying to get a pic of it on its side but it flipped back into the water, it did do me the courtesy of sitting right where it landed back and managed this snap.

MUSKY HYBRID? PROBABLY ME JUST WISHING IT TO BE :rolleyes:

img_0811.jpg

After that little guy it went dead, started messing around changing up lures, straight casting jigs with minnows, back to bobber....nothing. I Decided to give a pickerel rig a shot, stuck one huge minnow on one hook and a small on the other. I waited about another twenty minutes when the rod was nearly pulled in by this guy......again not easy to film and wind but the result gave me a great idea for a business...lol....." REELCAM"

NEARLY GOT MY ROD

th_MVI_0815.jpg

VIDEO A BIT BLURRY SO INCLUDED A STILL SHOT

img_0813.jpg

By now the sun was started to set, and the walleye bite really picked up, I missed quite a few and landed 2 more keepers which i added to my earlier one for supper, lots of small ones out there though. i did think i had got another big pike on at one point as again my rod was almost pulled in. As i started to reel in it felt weird though, like a severe head shake but different. What had happened was that 2 small walleye must have hit the separate minnows on the pickerel rig at almost exactly the same time...lol....chances of that eh....

MY 1ST EVER DOUBLE HEADER ON A PICKEREL RIG

img_0812.jpg

Well I decided that i had had enough after that, even though i still could get one more for my limit i decided to just sit down there and wait till the sun disappeared, just really peaceful.....

PEACEFUL END TO THE DAY

img_0814.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Being able to fish outa the backyard is great!!!

I love being able to walk down to boat and take off fishing.............so hassle free !!!!

Went out today and hooked into a 4 plus pound large mouth !!!!!

This river is getting nice and active now!!

Problem is the bass are now all over the walleye and pike spots :(

Great spot you have there!!!!! and great catches!!

gotta love that, I can do the same thing at my trailer..this last couple days..shore was bettere than going out in the boat for me anyways...go figure...thanks for sharing the great pics...sounds like you got youyr own little chunk of paradise happening there

I need another job....one near a house on a lake I can buy......I was having such a perfect evening....sigh.

OK...I am all better now. Nice catches! :clapping: .....I like the double header thing. Its only happened to me a couple of times, a long time ago. Did the fish tire each other out?

forrest