Who else can't swim?

oncogene

Just curious... anyone else here who go fishing regularly cant' actually swim?.... coz I can't <_< A bit of an irony to like to get close to water to fish yet I can get drown if not careful lol.

Bought my PFD last season, after my gf getting increasingly concerned about me drowning, and plus all those incidents of attacks on fishermen.

Maybe I should learn to swim... it's hard :whistling:

Why do you say it is hard for you to swim?

A little practise with a "coach" is probably all you need to master the dogpaddle or breast stroke. You have to be able get over the fear of water. The rest ain't that hard to master.

So true thats how i did it when i was 5 not hard :clapping:

Well... it's silly but I actually took learn-to-swim lessons back during late-elementary or early high school.... I PASSED and yet I couldn't & still can't swim <_<

Another reason for me to learn to swim now is I now have a problem with my spinal disc causing pain in my whole right leg and the doc & physio both suggested I should try swimming (probably not so much as swimming is particular good for my condition, but more that it's the only exercise I can do). But on the flip side, this condition probably makes learning swimming now even more difficult for me (mentally perhaps) as my leg hurts just walking abit fast...

Edited by oncogene

as mentioned get some fins/flippers and even a kick board.

I know this is a kids set but you get the idea. kick board set

the reason they sell this as a set is because it makes it that much easier to learn how to swim. good luck and after you get the hang of it, it's easy...

I hear and understand what you're saying oncogene. When I was 7 years old I fell in the water and can still remember sitting on the bottom (I was only in about 4 feet). Although I loved fishing I had a real fear of the water. When I was about 40, we bought a house with a huge inground pool and I forced myself to take lessons and learn how to swim. Sorry I didn't do it sooner. I can still remember the first time going into the pool each year and standing on the diving board for 20 minutes trying to get up the nerve to jump in. :(:rolleyes::D

Like others have said, go to your community pool and take some lessons. You'll be glad you did and not just for the exercise.

Good luck buddy.

I learned by swimming with a lifejacket on. I swam with that thing for about 4 days then finally just took it off and started swimming without it. It was more building my confidence in not sinking than actually learning to swim.

I like the butterfly stroke and the side stroke :) can I do them for a long period...nope...main thing for me is to be able to stay afloat...if you position yourself just right you can (without a lifejacket) for a long long time, soooo relaxing...it's never too late to learn. Good Luck.

Neither of my parents can swim. I taught myself with a lifejacket when I was 6 or 7.

It may look goofy, but I think there's something to be said for learning which movements are effective before you have to worry about keeping yourself afloat. A kickboard may not be that helpful - sure, you won't sink...but you won't learn arm movements when you're hanging onto a chunk of foam.

If your leg's bothering you, you don't HAVE to kick - it's not Riverdance. :) You'll be a little slower getting from A to B, but you'll get there. Likewise, you can "tread" water with just your arms if you need to.

Where I grew up they have a dumb way of teaching you. The sots toss you in and make you swim. You either learn to swim or become deathly afraid of the water. Redneck logic of some sorts I guess. I swam. Very easy as it does come second nature to us

Well... it's silly but I actually took learn-to-swim lessons back during late-elementary or early high school.... I PASSED and yet I couldn't & still can't swim <_<

Grade inflation at its finest, eh? LOL.

My mom learned to swim at the young age of 55. If she can do it, anyone can. Just give it another try, but this time get a real instructor!

Incidentally, breast stroke is the best type of stroke in survival situations, as it remains quite efficient even with the weight of wet, heavy clothing and shoes. Also, the long glide phase will allow conservation of energy. It is also easier for beginners to learn in terms of proper form and coordination than the other strokes, so maybe you should consider starting with that first.

As others said try to go to the nearest community centre and find an adult swimming lesson. You don't necessary have to be able to swim well. Even if you can't move from A to B after the lesson, at least you won't fear the water as much and it gives you more time to react if an incident does happen.

When non-swimmers drown, they usually swallow a whole lot of water because they get scared once they go underwater and try to "breathe" ... this actually makes it worse and maybe contribute to secondary drowning (water build up in the lungs).

Good luck to you!

Ultimately, you should be able to hold your breath, submerge your head under water, open your eyes (wear goggles) and blow air out your nose.

When I was a kid, I would wear the mask, fins and snorkel and swim around the beach at our cottage. It requires very little energy, as you are not straining to keep your head above water.

Go to a pool stay in the shallow end learn to float on your back first then go deeper to try and swim and if all els fails u can just float your way back to the edge its how i learned havnt drown yet lol

Im always amazed at the number of fishermen & people who love being on the water that cant swim !!!!!!. :stretcher::blink::dunno: ...i dont know that i would want to be on the water all the time if i didnt know how to swim...well at least its easy to learn,and more people should do it,its the best excercise you can get,it works all the muscles in your body all at the same time,and no other type of workout or excercise does that !!!!!....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: