Anyone else...

Gerritt

Just wondering who else here is always connected?

I go to work I have a PC a phone etc..I get constant emails and calls.. When I am in my car or away from my desk (doing take-offs or drawings) I have a Blackberry... (more constant email and calls and DC messages) Then I get home and I am still getting emails but I do turn my phone off...

98% of this is work related.. for example I received the load calculations for Helical Piers, from one of our engineers on a house we are building 3 minutes ago.. I then need to read them, study them to ensure they are correct and do a take off on them to ensure the measurements are correct, I then forward them on to the the firm installing them and CC my boss..

this is a daily thing... It is part of my job.. I know that and am not complaining..

Just wondered if anyone else is always "Connected" to the office.

G

Yup, I check in for e-mails and they have my numbers if I'm needed but generally it's taken care of when I leave at 5.

Being connected may be ok but it depends on what you do and what your clients' needs are – they pay the bills in the long run.

I myself would rather leave at 5 (because of the commute) and then after I have dinner do work that may not have been done at the office.

But this weekend I'm trying out my new "TOY" and your rib recipe is going to be tried. How long do you smoke'em for?"

You said put them on the grill an hour before dinner; sounds good?. Which wood chips are better than others (never smoked before . . . and I mean never :whistling: )

Have a good and safe long weekend to all OFC'rs

Well I let them boil, with Carrot,Onion and Celery etc.. Get creative here.. add Peppercorns etc.. whatever flavour you want infused into the meat (I assume you are talking about my BBQ ribs here)

The let them cool this is key.. in the fridge till cold..

I like Mesquite some prefer apple or cherry woods... put your chips in a foil container and poke large holes into it.. if you prefer a more pungent smoke flavour add some water..

get the wood smoking..

add the ribs and bbq on super low using the BBQ sauce recipe I posted as well :)

I promise you the most tender ribs you have ever had...

Boiling them throughly and colling them is the key to perfect home cooked ribs..

Enjoy :)

post pictures of the cook!! Mmmm I am drooling here!

G..

and thank you for you're post.

Edited by Gerritt

I'm not connected through wireless means, wiht cell phones, etc. But, from my PC at the house, I can access my PC at work and do everything from home. Essentially I could work from home and not have to worry about that dang phone ringing all the time. Being a programmer, when problems arise, I no longer have to drive into work to see what's going on.

G you know the drill alright!

5:30am till 8:00pm here, depedning on the call though, I try and let the voicemail on my cell pick up the really early calls and the late night stuff, uless of course it is an emergency.

My cell is on 24 hours.I am on call for my service company, my store and renovation company. I have to be available for emergencies , store alarms and company problems. Been this way for almost 40 years.Phone always has messages, emails everyday and night, truck phone always beeping, shop radios blaring all day. :wallbash: Just keeps ya going. Good to hear others with the same wonderful life style.

Someone expects a response from me at 7:00 pm, they better be from BC.

I'm connected 24hrs a day, but only work 7.5 hrs/day. You figure it out.

Oh ya, just incase you might think that an attitude like that might cause a shortage of work, I haven't missed a day of work, unless I wanted it, in the last 25 years.

Edited by nofish4me

Wired...ohyes. Very, very rare that I'm unreachable for more than an hour and a half, at any hour of the day.

Cell phone 24x7. Runs Gmail, Google Maps, and has net access.

A laptop comes with me on calls, connects back to the main machine.

Main computer only shuts down for power failures and equipment changes. I can log in and do anything on it from any computer with net access. Email software redirects important messages to the phone's Gmail, and sends me a text alert.

I tend to keep a laptop in the kitchen now. Lets me sneak in some time with friends if I chat while I'm cooking dinner.

My own e-leashes don't bother me, but it's a little surreal when Jeff brings his 4 little squawkers on the boat. 2 people, 2 pagers & 3 cells...in the middle of a lake? :blink::lol:

always and do so much online that i would be lost without it.

-2 cells, never off regardless of where i am.

-a blackberry that will replace a cell soon.

-10 PC's at home that are always running and fully accessible from anywhere

-various shell accounts always logged in when i'm home so i hear a beep the instant a message hits the mail server.

-msn and skype on sometimes...they are not the best way to reach me.

-never travel without a laptop which is great now that most airports have free wireless. 19" laptop so it's not exactly portable. :thumbsup_anim:

a few computer forums i go to have had threads of people's computer desk and setup. I always found those interesting, especially once i got to "know" the person.

Edited by j ace

Blackberry's on 7x24 comes with the territory running voice and data networks and data centre operations for a 300 store retail chain, and I can't wait to get out of this rat race.

Like Nixon said "4 more years" maybe less if I get lucky like wake up some morning and decide to buy a chepo boat and go fishing.

I guess that my thinking has changed over the years. I was always connected, even when technology was a mere shadow of what it is today. The older I get the less willing I am to be "available" 24/7. I still have the laptops, phones and other so called essential business tools but they are 'off line" when I am "off duty"..... I don't pick up e-mail evenings and weekends as I have the philosophy that if I open it I have to deal with it. I don't think that I have become lazier perhaps just a little smarter.

HECK NO!

Work day starts at 8, ends at 4.

Dont think about it before, or after those times.

Dont check work email outside of those times.

Dont have a blackberry.

Before 8 and after 4, I think about :Gonefishing:

24 - 7 always ,I HAtE IT , Im an engineer and theres allways a question to answer and no mater how unimportant it is to me to the asker its "I need TO KNOW THIS NOW NOW " how did things ever get done before ??? PEOPLE WAITED THATS HOW !!!!!!!!! black death , cell phone and wireless lap top allways with me AHHHHHH . Used to be only a radio out in the boat so at least when I was on the lake only people with a radio could call(ie other fishermen and my wife in an emerg) , than the wife thought (wimens thinking allways gets me in trouble )maybe a satilight phone in case , than came cell service allmost everywhere , than my work thought they could ask things even when I was fishing so they got me the black berry than than , AHHHHH DID you see TJs pics ,

I see that even at camp Jiggy Jiggy you cant escape , would love to go back to the "HES out fishing , I will try to talk to him tonight when he gets in " 9 to 5 becomes 24 7 and we think we are better off ??????????? just say no to tech

I spose I'm pretty happy I picked the profession I did, cause once I walked out the door at 5 o'clock the last thing on my mind was work or anything work related, and it stayed that way until I was scheduled to walk back in the door.