What is your thought on

misfish

Just so we dont take away from Emiles post,I think Johnny asked a question that to me was sort of crazy,but me thinks I offended him,for this I am sorry. :wallbash::canadian:

The question was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Some hook sets were just outside the mouth. Some people say you have to hook them right in the mouth and others say you can hook them anywhere in front of the gill plate. Is that true?

My reply was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You TELL ME.

PLEASE. Thats a crazy question. In the mouth and thats all. Anywheres else, is "A" snagged fish.

His reply to that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Apparently, many people I have spoken to have a difference of opinion. So I dont think its a crazy question.

So to help out Johnny and others that might not know what is legal I ask you the OFC gang,what are your thoughts on this ?

IN THE MOUTH , this is a stupid question . OUTSIDE THE MOUTH IS A SNAGGED FISH !!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the test thing isnt a bad idea after all , the regs are VERY CLEAR on this .READ the regs guys , I can just see you say "well officer it was close you know ,around the mouth ,head ,comeon you know it was close ?????????????. DUHHHHHHHHH

Interesting question and one that I asked my self this year when I went for Whities on the ice, for the first time. I was comparing the Williams' we were using, to the size of the Whities mouth and honestly, there is no way those spoons would come close to fitting into their mouth! (WIlliams half and half hammered with side wash hooks) From the way they were hooked, it appeared to me anyway, that they had taken a swipe at the baits, missed and were hooked near /around the mouth.

Now this obviously this doesn't make a "potential" wrong a right, but from what I noticed,virtually EVERYONE was using the same bait. Does this mean the most of the folks out there jiggin, including myself, were keeping illegal fish! Doh... good question Brian! :Gonefishing:

HH

HH

I for one can tell you a treble will fit in thier mouth. Terry and Rob C and others that have down rigged with me on Simcoe can attest to that. I used the silver fox brand spoons.Deadly baits. The whities weather near the bottom or suspended would hit these baits. Yes,whities suspend.

Edited by misfish

From the way they were hooked, it appeared to me anyway, that they had taken a swipe at the baits, missed and were hooked near /around the mouth.

I will not agrue that one,it does happen,but the fish did turn into a fouled hooked fish. YES/NO?

Most whities you catch, aren't IN the mouth.

Usually, they are in the face somewhere, or under the chin......and I call that a legal fish....for whities only.

Its pretty hard to snag a fish out of 60+ FOW intentionally.....isn't it?

They are obviously trying to get your lure.

If they're hooked in the fins, or body.....or anywhere else but around the mouth area, I release them.

That's just my opinion on it.....I'd rather keep an accidentally "snagged" fish, than release it, if the chances of survival are slim. I'd say 80% of the whities I catch are just around the mouth, and not in it. The meegs type jigs seem to get them in the yap more so than the williams, but the side hooks on the williams usually get them in the side of the face.....which I call legal. The fish is trying to get your bait.....you just happened to lift at the wrong moment.

Sinker

if your creek fishing and get it other than the mouth let it go.if your fishing 30 or more ft for whities near the mouth is close enough they obviosly took a stab at it.

Another one that can't read or understand the rules, just poaching a little bit eh?

Most whities you catch, aren't IN the mouth.

Usually, they are in the face somewhere, or under the chin......and I call that a legal fish....for whities only.

Its pretty hard to snag a fish out of 60+ FOW intentionally.....isn't it?

They are obviously trying to get your lure.

If they're hooked in the fins, or body.....or anywhere else but around the mouth area, I release them.

That's just my opinion on it.....I'd rather keep an accidentally "snagged" fish, than release it, if the chances of survival are slim. I'd say 80% of the whities I catch are just around the mouth, and not in it. The meegs type jigs seem to get them in the yap more so than the williams, but the side hooks on the williams usually get them in the side of the face.....which I call legal. The fish is trying to get your bait.....you just happened to lift at the wrong moment.

Sinker

You're another one, so why bother with the lure, just tie on a treble with a clod of lead.

You're another one, so why bother with the lure, just tie on a treble with a clod of lead.

Please....... :wallbash::blahblah1: Now I'm a poacher? Come on.... :asshat:

If I wanted to poach whities, I'd do just that. I use a lure to get them in the yap..... :rolleyes:

I've released hundreds of whities that were hooked in the face......and I've kept a few too. Big deal.

What would you do with this one? Yup, its snagged.....right under the chin. I guess it just happened to swim right over my jig as I lifted it right......or.....maybe it was trying to get eat it, but could't find it in the cloud of mud I'd stirred up down there.....???

P3030014.jpg

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Another one that can't read or understand the rules, just poaching a little bit eh?

:w00t:

Ontario does have a strict description of a legally hooked fish.

Page 8 of the General Fishing Regulations under General Prohibitions item #5

It Is Illeagal to:

Catch a fish by impalling or snagging it with a hook through any part of the body other than the mouth - any fish hooked in this way must be released immediately.

Alabama Law has a more liberal description of a legally hooked fish which is any fish hooked in the head while using a baited hook or artificial lure.

I will say that most fish that are caught on the outside of the mouth are hooked that way because they have "T-boned" the bait or lure.

When I fish in Canada, I will obey their laws and use their definition of a legally hooked fish.

Edited by Greencoachdog

It Is Illeagal to:

Catch a fishby impalling or snaggingit with a hookthrough any part of the bodyother than the mouth - any fishhooked in this way must be released immediately.

Alabama Law has a more liberal description of a legally hooked fish which is any fish hooked in the head while using a baited hook or artificial lure.

I will say that most fish that are caught on the outside of the mouth are hooked that way because they have "T-boned" the bait or lure.

When I fish in Canada, I will obey their laws and use their definition of a legally hooked fish.

Well said GCD! :thumbsup_anim:

It Is Illeagal to:

"Catch a fishby impalling or snaggingit with a hookthrough any part of the bodyother than the mouth - any fishhooked in this way must be released immediately"

good page and quote reference made.

Also, "in the mouth" is not mentioned. The wording is "mouth" not "in the mouth".

forrest

Please....... :wallbash::blahblah1: Now I'm a poacher? Come on.... :asshat:

If I wanted to poach whities, I'd do just that. I use a lure to get them in the yap..... :rolleyes:

I've released hundreds of whities that were hooked in the face......and I've kept a few too. Big deal.

What would you do with this one? Yup, its snagged.....right under the chin. I guess it just happened to swim right over my jig as I lifted it right......or.....maybe it was trying to get eat it, but could't find it in the cloud of mud I'd stirred up down there.....???

P3030014.jpg

Sinker

I have unintentionally snagged whitefish 40ft down, nearer the belly. Who is to say if that fish was an unintentional snag or a fish that missed the lure. Have to give the fish the benifit of the doubt.

I would have said...."aw crumm" and let it go; I have other food at home.

forrest

i wonder how long before this one gets locked lol, seems to be a trend nowdays even tho the ice is gone hah.

I`ve hooked fish outside the mouth using spoons and i`ve seen the fish go for it so you cant really call it snagging. The law says you have to release all the fish that was not caught right in the mouth so i suggegest the best is to just let it go. Even tho i dont see the difference unless you are intentionally trying to snag it by its tail or a fin or something like that.

YO YO YO HOLD UP FELLAS.

Sinker Im not sure I would be to admiting to that bud.I was hoping to get a clear ruling on this topic. Snag is snagged,weather it be the fish swiping at the lure or not. Man if only we had a CO just to clearify on this.

Im not trying to stir the pot here,just trying to clear this question and help others.

Heres one for ya.

Fishing BP,and we all know they can come in there, thick as thieves. Guys were keeping everything they nailed. Weather in the yap or the ars or the side fin. I seen these two guys come out,set up a portable and just sit there. They didnt even use thier auger to drill holes. Give away. I get a fish on,fight it for awhile and bring it to the hole. Like all of a sudden, I got this swarm of fellas with gafs at my hole. I say back off will ya,it,s probly fouled as it was taking line. Sure enough,it was in the fin. Buddy tried to gaf er,I said not a chance buddy,look behind ya. Didnt take long for the guy in green to be heads over the crowd.

5 charges laid for foul hooked fish and guys passing fish over to thier buddies after catching thier limit.

Now theres another kettle of fish to open after this. Do you pass your catch to yer buddy after you got yer 2?

Man if only we had a CO just to clearify on this.

What CO in their right mind would make themselves known? they would be barraged with arguments and questions. :ph34r:

The law says you have to release all the fish that was not caught right in the mouth

What is the exact wording of the law. The previous reference to the regulations what pretty clear "right inside the mouth" was not mentioned, how about "just inside the mouth"?; not to mentioned 'hooked in the throat'.

forrest

Edited by forrest