The "Black Lure Experiment"

Ryan Landry

Hello all,

For those who were not aware, there was a discussion a while ago about lure colors and if they made a difference. Someone mentioned that black would probably work just aswell as any other color, so we decided to try a little experiment.

We offerd 8 different Hammerhead Lures that we had custom painted all black to each of the first 12 volunteers for a small report of their findings in return.

The lures are in transit as we speak, they will arrive in about 1 week.

Thanks to all the participants.

Here is a pic of three of them.

oh, our painter mentioned he really likes painting these patterns!

blacklure.jpg

Edited by Ryan Landry

Hey, not being an ass but I got on that list near the start and was looking forward to giving them a try and never herd back from you ? I never gave my address to you yet so I assume I'm not in anymore ?

:dunno:

You are the last email I am missing. Please send your shipping info to me in the email.

Thanks.

Here is the list of participants

1. Toronto Angler

2. Gerritt

3. Gbay Giant

4. Crazy hook

5. Kicking Frog

6. Ben Beattie

7. Largemouth

8. Billm

9. Ranger 520vx

10. capt bruce

11. Yellow Boat

12. Barnies Band

Those look awesome .. and just for the record (before the results come in) - I can attest to the fact that black is an EXCELLENT colour ... especially at night (not being funny either) ... it is one of my favourite colours for cruising lake trout, monster bass and big fat walleye ... not to mention top water specks in mountain lakes :)

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone,

The lures are in, I will package them over the weekend and ship them out early next week.

For the people who missed out on this one, we will do more things like this in the future. Stay tuned! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks,

Ryan

hello everyone,

The lures are in, I will package them over the weekend and ship them out early next week.

For the people who missed out on this one, we will do more things like this in the future. Stay tuned! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks,

Ryan

Put me on the list please!

Ryan, if you ever decide to do those in the black with a white belly, put my name on that list please. I'd be happy to pay for them and would be looking for three styles; one shallow runner 0-3', one desigined to run down to 5-7', and one desigined to run 10-12'. I always fish light line 6 lb test max so I wouldn't want anything too big, approx 3" would be perfect.

BTW, those jigs you donated to the fishing for Tyler event are fantastic! I had forgotten all about them and was unpacking my ice fishing gear the other day to put it away for the summer and came across them. I decided to try one tipped with a minnow and first cast, had a nice walleye on. I only fished for about an other 15 minutes because it was so cold and windy but in that short time had two more solid hits, landed one more and lost one at the dock. Could you please let me know where I can buy some more of them. My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Big Cliff

i missed the original discussion on the "black lure experiment" but thought it was a great idea, after all, how often do you see manufacturers paint straight black lures?

i painted a couple lures (all black) on my own this week and will be trying them this weekend. i'll post my results!

Okay so I missed the original Post and would have loved to have got my hands on one of these. But I pose a question. One of the most overlooked lures has to be WHITE. SOLID WHITE with eyes only. It can be very productive and not many guys use it as they pass on it simply because it looks primed and doesnt have the flash. This should be an experiment as well, which outproduces the other. Black or White. The old saying...It doesnt matter what color you use as long as its Black should/could be in for a ride.

Edited by MuskyMike

• 1 month later...

Thanks G!

Well I got them from Barnie's Band of Gold two weeks ago as I was not originally on the short list to receive the lures. Something had come up for him and he could partake, so I took him off his hands to bear the cross, lol.

I would figure that they've been sent out a least 3 weeks ago. Check the mailbox, send Ryan a PM. Maybe your mailman has a new set of lures.

black is supposed to work very well. fish often look up at a lure instead of right at it..

this causes the lure no matter what color to look black due to shadowing etc

black will work hands down.