Fluorocarbon vs Super line

Stoty

Thanks Duber.

The rod is brand new, and the guides are fine.

I found a kink in the line of the spool, probably a result of line slip. I have since respooled with a mono backing and also wet the line before re-spooling.

Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Any way you look at it.......vanish is garbage!! IMO

Can't stand that stuff. Nothing but a headache for me.

I've never had PP break though.....unless I cut it. You can anchor a boat with 50lb.....LOL.

Sinker

Somethings not right. I have been fishing 20 lb PP for 3 years with no problems at all. Maybe you got a bad batch? 90% of the time, no leader is required. I find it amusing that folks think they need an "invisible" leader when they are throwing baits with 3 big treble hooks hanging off their belly: fish are not that discriminating.

I find it amusing that folks think they need an "invisible" leader when they are throwing baits with 3 big treble hooks hanging off their belly: fish are not that discriminating.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I use 130 # fluoro leaders on all my musky rods and it has nothing to do with invisibility. The fluoro is much easier on the fish when they roll up in the line, plus it doesn't kink up like wire leaders do.

Before I switched to Seaguar several years ago, I was using Stringese leaders at about $6 each and would often have to discard the leader due to kinks after even one fish, and on a good day with 6 or 7 muskies and an equal number of leaders ruined, it tends to get rather expensive.

Good fluoro leaders will outlast wire 20-1

At least that's my take on things

Hey Stoty,

I would go with what a lot of the others are saying, powerpro with a flouro leader. Only problem i have ever had with flouro is knot strength,. To combat this i use a Palomar Knot or Trilene Knot. Definitely go with the swivel in my humble opinion, the only time i dont use a swivel is for ice fishing cuz my fishfinder shows it and makes for a messy screen so i will join line to line.

Edited by limeyangler

Hi guys,

My name is Vladimir and I'm from Toronto.

I read this forum a lot, but have not post anything yet.

I had the same problem as Stoti does. I tested 3 different braided lines (the last one was Schtern) and sometimes the cast was finished with the same result - the lure went to China (in the middle of Grand river under Caledonia bridge).

However, a friend of mine, who's just started fishing, successfully uses braided lines. I noticed only one difference in casting. I pull my lure almost twice a distance he does (lines were the same at that time). I think there is too much pressure to the line if any wing knot. The braided line may be not as good for dynamic pressure. However in static pressure the line is extremely strong.

I tested that. I tied a piece of lead to my Schtern braided line tied the line to the tree and frown the lead in the river. I found that the braided line always brakes; however, mono works as a spring and brakes much less than braided line.

Edited by spyder3g