Boo to Tim Horton's

Big Cliff

I dont know if theres more to it than they watch the tapes at night see her take the donnut and fire her . IF she worked for me i would reward her for her customer service, crying baby give her a cheap donut happy baby happy mom ,ME happy store owner , happy mom tells her friends and family about free donut more custumers all for .016 cents win win . BUT IF she worked for me she would know what SHE CAN AND SHOULD DO and WHAT SHE CANT DO . Three managers to deal with .016 cent theft and the girl didnt see it comeing ??????? I think this store needs to get policy clear to people that work there for three years maybe the three mangers time is better spent traing people rather than punishing ???? AND even if it was THEFT there is degrees of theft .016 does not warrent the death penelty imho

Just because a person is a single parent of 1-howevermany doesn't entitle them to a job or a paycheck!... Funny thing about being at the bottom of the ladder, your superiors expect you to work!

The article stated that this person had been working there for 3 yrs., of which 2 yrs. 11 mo. and 3 weeks may have been used to document for their dismissal. The larger the corporation the harder it is to terminate lower level minorities (women in the workplace are considered a minority in the U.S.)... Upper level white males can be terminated on a whim however!

Before this article came out, this thread could've been used for a customer service poll for Tim Hortons... what kind of marks do you think they would've gotten?... has any body besides Beans gotten a messed up order?... how about the cashier chatting with a friend/customer at the register while others wait behind during busy hours?

The newspaper article is extremely onesided and if the reporter had stopped and thought about what it actually takes to terminate someone these days, it would've never been written.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Here is the reason why she was fired.

If she was not fired for this, another employee could give away food, and when caught, could refer to the fact that the first employee was not fired for the same offence. (Can you say labour board?) The same rules must be consistently applied to all employees, theft is theft, whether or not it is a 16 cent timbit or $20 from the register. Nobody likes to hear that someone (especially a mother of 4) lost a job over something so small, but in the workplace sometimes a clear message has to be sent about theft.

That being said, I think it is silly that Tim's does not have some sort of policy in place where if a mother comes in with a crying baby, that if the employee first gets permission from the mother, they can give a timbit away. It is great PR, and you can create customers for life like this. The same goes for the dog example. Just have some sort of tracking system in place (it could be as simple as a piece of paper) to record any that are given away so management can account for them.

I see that she has just been rehired... maybe they found the page in their training manual where it states the policy I just wrote about!!! LOL!!!

Edited by Fisherpete

Some people are stupid ... period. Instead of warn employee they have to fire her and rehire again setting precedent. I will not be surprised if in a while cup of coffee would cost +5c to cover free timbits ... They should fire that manager instead.

Lucky me - I am not coffee/donut person :)

If you were an employer and someone broke your rules, that would be reason to dismiss someone whether it was for a 16 cent item or something of more value.

Rules are rules. Simple...

Again, I am sure there is more to this than a simple tim bit but either way, maybe they are fed up with someone bending the rules...

Sherriff

Hello everyone, first post here and it's not even about fishing. I love Timmies. The do a ton of work for charities and community. Unfortunately they are a franchise and owned by different individuals. I don't know about everyone here, but I have worked for a number of different people, some of which were great, and some of which were jerks.

I do not agree with this particular franchisees decision to fire the young lady, but I do understand the reasoning behind it. A little math - 4 timbits @ $0.16 x 10 employees x 365 days of the year equals $2336.00 per year. That's not chump change and we are only talking about timbits. I think that if I found out that my employees had stolen that kind of money from me, I wouldn't be all to happy.

I think the most disturbing thing about all of this is the willingness of almost everyone, including here on this site to cast their biggest sinkers in the direction of the COMPANY and not the FRANCHISEE. To say you were never going to go to a Tim's because of the action of one individual franchise is ridiculous. Tim Horton's did not fire an employee, the daughter of a franchisee did, and I will guarantee there will be repercussions to that Franchise for messing with the good name.

Thank god people don't cast lines at every angler because of the actions of one ignorant person with a pole and a hook.

Nice to be here and hope to contribute in a positive way while sipping my extra large 2 cream, one sugar in my ever familiar brown paper cup.

And another thing...

The Manager fires her for giving a Timbit to a child but says ok to staff giving Timbits to dogs cuz they're 'day olds.'

Isn't that a healthcode violation for servers at a restaurant to let animals eat food out of their hand???

If you were an employer and someone broke your rules, that would be reason to dismiss someone whether it was for a 16 cent item or something of more value.

Rules are rules. Simple...

Again, I am sure there is more to this than a simple tim bit but either way, maybe they are fed up with someone bending the rules...

Sherriff

Actually in Ontario that is not reason to fire someone. Not one that will stand up in court, anyway. There must be progressive counselling. One mistake is never reason to fire someone. Thank god for that or I wouldn't last too long in any job :)

Actually in Ontario that is not reason to fire someone. Not one that will stand up in court, anyway. There must be progressive counselling. One mistake is never reason to fire someone. Thank god for that or I wouldn't last too long in any job :)

I was once advised by a Lawyer versed in employment law, that "...they can fire you even if they don't like the color of the car you drive..". That is purty much word for word what she told me. I was, at the time, under the impression that an employer had to have suitable "grounds" to terminate one's employment, but she quickly dismissed my notions. :(

A little math - 4 timbits @ $0.16 x 10 employees x 365 days of the year equals $2336.00 per year. That's not chump change

$2336 a year is indeed chump change in proportion to the revenue/profits. And your equation is a little exaggeratory anyways......assuming may be a better word. I doubt 40 dogs and/or infants come thru any one timmies in a day, let alone every single day that year lol. Sorry, im saying this lightheartedly, not arguementatively. Welcome aboard by the way. It is funny that you walked in the door to hear a debate about whether an infant should get a free timbit or not in the drive thru at timmies :clapping:

I agree though that ya cant boycott a corporation because an individual that represents you makes a mistake. Timmies as a corporation should have an investigation on the individual that made this decision to fire someone however and make a public announcement so we all know the intricacies of the situation. Or not, it really doesnt bother me that much ......just bored at work hehe

I was once advised by a Lawyer versed in employment law, that "...they can fire you even if they don't like the color of the car you drive..". That is purty much word for word what she told me. I was, at the time, under the impression that an employer had to have suitable "grounds" to terminate one's employment, but she quickly dismissed my notions. :(

Unless you're a minority...

I'd just like to say to everyone that has condemmed the actions by this facility... the next time your order is screwed up or you recieve bad customer service at a Tim Hortons... think of this thread.

We receive regular training on The Employment Standards Act from the government lawyers. Yes they can fire you for anything, however, if they do not follow the Act, your recourse is quite easy.

Clampit... I have to agree with Rick, they can fire you at any time for any reason, but the Ministry of Labour will almost certainly favour the employee should it go that far and it will ... definately should the employee know his rights.

If ya really want to see an Incorporation squirm... threaten them with the Ministry of Labour... it would be cheaper in the long run just to pay the employee to stay home!

Please don't ask how I know this! :stretcher::wallbash:

HH

Fired is FIRED no matter how you pretty up the situation.

While it was a good move to rehire the lady in the long run will prob lose her anyway (bad karma)

Had occasion to be there done that----they sugar coat the whole issue under the old restructuring, your position is no longer necessary and unfortunately we dont have another position for you.

Goodbye and good luck in your next endeavor.

I think I may have been a little haste in my comment earlier.....

I think I owe a lot of you an apology. Tim Horton's should be boycotted everywhere. Do not go to Timmies!!! Everyone go to Country Style or Coffee Time but stay away from Tim's!!!

:oops:

There... now maybe I won't have to wait 15 minutes to get my Tim's.

:whistling: