keeping the boat locked up

forrest

Sooooo anyone have a boat stolen or vandalized in their driveway?

My driveway is fairly accessible and the front of the boat will be about 2 feet from the sidewalk at eye-level.

Any good advice out there?

forrest

Hitch lever locked... with a spare hitch ball in the socket.

Get a length of 1" steel shaft and weld a plate on one end bigger than a wheel spoke hole and drill for a lock on the other end. Insert thru from one side to the other through a wheel spoke on each side....so when a wheel turns the bar gets jammed against the springs. Slip a plate on the other side and then a high quality pad lock. Keep it tight in length so it sits inside the wheel pan so it doesn't stand out as visible from the street. If they defeat your hitch lock and get hooked up to it it will make a hell of a racket draggin locked wheels down the street.. .they'll bail on it and you'll find your boat about 4 doors down in the middle of the street.

Yes... I lived in TO at one time ! LOL

Edited by irishfield

Vandalism? who'd vandalize a boat? :wallbash: Certainly not a fisherman..

Port-a- garage at CTC? ...

My neighbor in B.C had the same problem....he built a framed with 2x2 folding corrugated fiberglass shelter kinda thing...ended up looking like a fence weighed nothing and was totally

foldable , he picked colors that weren't gauky and matched the neighbors fence and matched his shed and house... Vandals couldn't see it......outta sight ...outta mind..

Good Luck.....

Clamp-It's dog looks like it could work for 'ya too!! :clapping: :clapping:

Get a length of 1" steel shaft and weld a plate on one end bigger than a wheel spoke hole and drill for a lock on the other end. Insert thru from one side to the other through a wheel spoke on each side....so when a wheel turns the bar gets jammed against the springs. Slip a plate on the other side and then a high quality pad lock. Keep it tight in length so it sits inside the wheel pan so it doesn't stand out as visible from the street. If they defeat your hitch lock and get hooked up to it it will make a hell of a racket draggin locked wheels down the street.. .they'll bail on it and you'll find your boat about 4 doors down in the middle of the street.

Good stuff so far. Irishfield's hidden wheel lock is my favorite....If I could put a car boot on the thing that would be awesome....but the price of a car boot is not so awesome.

forrest

Patent Pending?

Teenagers can be buggers Forrest, mess around with anything unusual like a boat just because they can. Maybe keep it tarped?

I'm in Whitby also-bylaw limits how many overnights your boat can sit in driveway. If a neighbour complains your hooped-or is this just for a little while?

I use a coupler lock on mine, and a chain around the wheel to the frame.

After someone stole my little tin can last summer, I've got this place locked up like for knox. Still have no idea why they took the 12fter.......my 16 fter was sitting right beside it, ready to go. Lucky for me, they must have been in a rush or something. Broad daylight.....and we were only gone for a couple hours.......nothing worse than a thief!!!

Sinker

I use a coupler lock on mine, and a chain around the wheel to the frame.

After someone stole my little tin can last summer, I've got this place locked up like for knox. Still have no idea why they took the 12fter.......my 16 fter was sitting right beside it, ready to go. Lucky for me, they must have been in a rush or something. Broad daylight.....and we were only gone for a couple hours.......nothing worse than a thief!!!

Sinker

Wouldn't you just love to catch the turds that stole your boat and beat the livin' snot out of them? I hate thieves too!!!

Wouldn't you just love to catch the turds that stole your boat and beat the livin' snot out of them? I hate thieves too!!!

Dam right I would!!!

I'm lucky they didnt take my fishing boat. It was right there, ready to go.......with no lock on it. I still can't figure out why they took the 12 footer. No hitch maybe? My lucky day, thats for sure.

Sinker

Maybe if we had a justice system that actually came down hard on thieves it may just deter some of these punks from walking off with everything that's not nailed down.

Wouldn't bother me in the least to see a guy do 10 years for helping himself to my gear.

Leave the city. Let the Thugs, druggies and their dealers have it.

Dump the big mortgage.

Buy a house in the country that doesn't require that you work 60 hour weeks and sit in traffic another 20.

Lose Traffic Jams, air pollution, street gangs and 90 percent of your crime.

When it's 9 O'clock, know where your kids are.

Move close to the fishing. Work less. Play more.

Get to know your neighbours.

Gain Peace of mind.

Own a big dog who bites and a Small dog who barks.

Enjoy life everyday, instead of just on your two week vacation.

Put some real hours on that boat and motor.

The money you save on locks, alarm services, Doctors and pills will pay for an occational visit to your friends who are still in the Rat-Race...

But, trust me, after a few hours in the city, you won't be able to wait to get home!

Dump the big mortgage.

Buy a house in the country that doesn't require that you work 60 hour weeks and sit in traffic another 20.

Gain Peace of mind.

The money you save on locks, alarm services, Doctors and pills will pay for an occational visit to your friends who are still in the Rat-Race...

But, trust me, after a few hours in the city, you won't be able to wait to get home!

That right there is one of the best posts I've read on this site!! I agree 100%!

I live in the country as well.....I still got ripped off........but all the rest is true.....LOL.

Sinker

Costco has an "all in one" trailer lock from Master Lock. Keyed alike and comes in a little padded case for $50 . I bought 2 of them late last year on clearance. Works very well but after reading about undoing the ball, I took a ball pein hammer and "modified" the threads, so Nobody is going to undo it ...without a torch or grinder.

Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=319503

I sleep much better at night with this set up.

FT

Dump the big mortgage.

Gain Peace of mind.

Garry, where'd you ever get the impression crime stops when you leave the big city ??

I had a brand new boat stolen from me in the "country" back in 86 and 2 years later my buddy had 2 almost new snowmobiles stolen in the "country". My buddies brother was with the OPP for decades and spend a great deal of his time going after country folk who broke into every cottage they could lay their grimy thieving hands on.

Another friends son and his buddies were camping in the woods one night and were attacked by some country folks and he had his hand chopped off with an axe.

I've got a few more too but you get my drift.

Things are definetely better in the country but you sometimes need rose colored glasses to see it all.

Dump the big mortgage.

Gain Peace of mind.

I did something better. After I realized that working was putting a huge strain on my fishing time I decided to retire at the ripe old age of 48. :clapping:

Problems gone :Gonefishing:

I get the weekly paper. Because there isn't much to write about, they list the OPP calls.

Most of the investigations are as Lew suggests, cottage break- ins. These are mostly kids looking for booze...It's 9 O'clock, Do you know where your kids are? Snow mobiles, boats and trailers occasionally go missing.

I'll bet they're being stolen by city folk...

No friends Crime may not stop at the city limits, but the farther from the Welfare Projects and the bus route you get the less there is.

Things will be better when we built that wall across the 400 series highways!

Up here, if a kid comes home with a snow machine, he will have to explain where it came from.

If I come home with a new machine, I can expect a couple of people around town to comment, "I see you got a new Skiddo."

It's one of those things about small communities.

The attack in the woods story sounds more like Deliverance or Friday the 13th than real life to me, but I guess anything can happen.

In my weekly paper this morning, there are no drive-by shootings, no murders, no stabbings, no dead hookers, no random violence, no home invasions, no Rice Rocket street racing, no Asian, Jamaican, or any other ethnic gangs, no gangs of any kind actually, no drug over doses, no homeless people or welfare mother dude stories and no Shots-fired police reports...What's in your paper?

Edited by garry2rs

I just insure everything to the maximum. Seems to take the sport out of it for the thieves.

Last week I had my fence redone to include a gate at the end of the driveway. Now, I can simply move the boat into the backyard behind the wood fence where it cannot be seen and the gates open out so they'd have to steal the van (oh..that would so NOT break my heart) in order to get the gates open.