Sleep Apnea...

Gerritt

Well as some of you know I went in for a sleep study last month... It was booked as I was tired of being tired all the time and I could not figure it out the problem...

Well I had the test... and I got a letter in the mail today

It states I have Sleep Apnea and they have booked me for another study to test me with a CPAP machine...

So I figured I would come here and see if any of my fellow brethren have any answers to my questions be for my CPAP study...

Anyone use one of these? Has it improved your quality and length of sleep? it the thing comfortable?? Is the "Pump" noisy?

Thank in advance guys

G

Well as some of you know I went in for a sleep study last month... It was booked as I was tired of being tired all the time and I could not figure it out the problem...

It states I have Sleep Apnea and they have booked me for another study to test me with a CPAP machine...

So I figured I would come here and see if any of my fellow brethren have any answers to my questions be for my CPAP study...

Anyone use one of these? Has it improved your quality and length of sleep? it the thing comfortable?? Is the "Pump" noisy?

Thank in advance guys

G

My brother in law is a sleep apnea guy. He's also a fisherman, although not a member here. He does most of his fishing up on Manitoulin although he's supposed to be up at Quinte shortly. I can get you his email if you wanna pick his brain. He's a good guy (for an ex-cop).

JF

I do! It takes a little while to get used to the mask being on your face. and for your wife to get used to darth vader sleeping beside her. It different thats for sure! Mine packs up in a little bag for when i go away. The pump isn't too noisy, its a constant, low volume hissing noise, you get used to it as well, i sleep like a log, i don't twist and turn like a used to, u can't or u get tangled. All in all, its been life changing in terms of me being refreshed when i wake up, is used to be ready to take a nap by a bout 2pm, now i can go a little longer. The only downfall is getting acustomed to using the machine and wearing it. They fit them really well when you leave, and if you unfit it, take it back and they can fit again for you, usually at no charge. Any other questions let me know.

P.s don't wear it when you are planning a romantic evening, its a mood killer!!!!

vader.jpg

Thank in advance guys

G

I have the CPAP, very comfortable, you don't notice it after a few days using it. I wake up more refreshed, better sleep. The first times using it you will be a little hard. The one now, are wisper quiet.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

I have CPAP patient for about 1.5 yrs. The unit is whisper quiet.

It was the cure to my loss of sleep.

Have you expereinced a weight gain?

You may be able to correct the sleep apnea by losing weight.

You may have to participate in a "Sleep Clinic" evaluation, which consists of an overnight stay, at the "Lab" hooked up to a labyrinth of wires in order for the technician to monitor your sleep, (or lack of it). This will generate a computer readout which will document every nuance, including the number of interuptions, and your risk of inducing heart attacks and strokes associated with a disruptive sleep pattern accumulated over a period of time.

I have one of those machines too. I got it a few years ago and it has about 10 hours use. My biggest complaint is the fact that the air you breathe is warmed up. They say it's to help humidify the air. Anyway, I can't stand breathing warm air. Another thing is that the air pressure slowly increases because at high pressure, a person cannot fall asleep as easily. The machine is programmed to increase pressure so that maximum pressure is attained approx 30 minutes after the machine is started. The pressure in my machine is just too much. Air gets past the nose piece and blows into the eyes. You wake up with swollen eyes. There are not enough sizes of nose pieces and even if I have a very normal nose, none of the nose pieces really fit good. Maybe there are new nose pieces available.

The CPAC machine also works on a 12 volt power supply. It's quite compact too.

If you sleep with your mouth open...you will have to wear the complete mask that covers the nose and mouth. Luckily, I sleep with my mouth closed.

The machine is quite expensive. I got it for free because I am on welfare. Lost my job while trying to find a way to reduce my drowsiness on the job.

My sleep apnea is severe....approximately 1 every minute. Yes, my apnea has been trying to kill me too. First heart attack when I was about 32 years old. Lost a good job over falling asleep all the time. My bosses had no inkling that someone with apnea compensates for his ailment in many ways. Example, waking up suddenly when needed and being instantly alert, great concentration, lots of energy etc. But it does look bad when there are clients and they see someone snoozing. I did a lot of eating to keep me occupied and awake. Got huge and this caused other health problems like diabetes. The diabetes was so over controlled that it damaged my kidneys.

So I did the best thing I could do. I quit working and now on welfare. Now, when I feel like taking a snooze....I do. I do sleep well and fall asleep quickly. I also can wake up at any time I want without an alarme clock. Ok....so I'm on welfare. That's ok. I have a house, an old vehicule, an old canoe, an old boat, an old snowmobile, an old ATV. Not much money...but when I was working, I was always short of money anyway. Nothing has changed in that department. Even rich people are short of money.

I may use my CPAC machine again. I used to fall asleep at the wheel of my vehicule all the time but not any more. The 6 km drive home from work is through the city. Lots of times I would end up home.....not remembering my drive from work.

I took up playing guitar in 2000. I also learned to play harmonica. I play in a blues band and play every once in a while in bars. When driving, all I need to do is play some blues music and it keeps me awake like nothing else. I also play along to the music with a harmonica.

One time when driving back home from Ontario, I was listening to the same tape. It was a 2 hour tape of Stevie Ray Vaughan. It was the only blues music I had in the vehicle. For 9 hours I listened to the tape and did not feel the slightest bit sleepy. My wife was fed up. When we saw the lights from our home city, she asked if she could listen to a tape of her music. About 30 seconds later, I fell asleep. So, back into the tape player went Stevie Ray Vaughan.....lol.

In the past few years, I rarely fall asleep behind the wheel. I lost all that extra weight, diabetes is near perfect all the time, cholestoral is near perfect, no blood pressure and I can shovel snow for a couple of hours without stopping or portage my canoe etc. I sleep when I feel like it. My problem was the fact that my job interfered with my sleep.

Edited by Dabluz

You may have to participate in a "Sleep Clinic" evaluation, which consists of an overnight stay, at the "Lab" hooked up to a labyrinth of wires in order for the technician to monitor your sleep, (or lack of it). This will generate a computer readout which will document every nuance, including the number of interuptions, and your risk of inducing heart attacks and strokes associated with a disruptive sleep pattern accumulated over a period of time.

Yes Clamp-it I went to a sleep clinic study... which is where I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (hence the reason for my post :) )..... as for the weight gain I am husky not overly fat and have been a bigger fella for as long as I can remember anyways.. 6'+ and 215-220 depending on the day..

I go for my CPAP study on June 4th... and then a meeting with the doctor there after...

Good info though Clamp-it for those people that have not been through the test..

G

I have one of those machines too. I got it a few years ago and it has about 10 hours use. My biggest complaint is the fact that the air you breathe is warmed up. They say it's to help humidify the air. Anyway, I can't stand breathing warm air. Another thing is that the air pressure slowly increases because at high pressure, a person cannot fall asleep as easily. The machine is programmed to increase pressure so that maximum pressure is attained approx 30 minutes after the machine is started. The pressure in my machine is just too much. Air gets past the nose piece and blows into the eyes. You wake up with swollen eyes. There are not enough sizes of nose pieces and even if I have a very normal nose, none of the nose pieces really fit good. Maybe there are new nose pieces available.

The CPAC machine also works on a 12 volt power supply. It's quite compact too.

If you sleep with your mouth open...you will have to wear the complete mask that covers the nose and mouth. Luckily, I sleep with my mouth closed.

The machine is quite expensive. I got it for free because I am on welfare. Lost my job while trying to find a way to reduce my drowsiness on the job.

My sleep apnea is severe....approximately 1 every minute. Yes, my apnea has been trying to kill me too. First heart attack when I was about 32 years old. Lost a good job over falling asleep all the time. My bosses had no inkling that someone with apnea compensates for his ailment in many ways. Example, waking up suddenly when needed and being instantly alert, great concentration, lots of energy etc. But it does look bad when there are clients and they see someone snoozing. I did a lot of eating to keep me occupied and awake. Got huge and this caused other health problems like diabetes. The diabetes was so over controlled that it damaged my kidneys.

So I did the best thing I could do. I quit working and now on welfare. Now, when I feel like taking a snooze....I do. I do sleep well and fall asleep quickly. I also can wake up at any time I want without an alarme clock. Ok....so I'm on welfare. That's ok. I have a house, an old vehicule, an old canoe, an old boat, an old snowmobile, an old ATV. Not much money...but when I was working, I was always short of money anyway. Nothing has changed in that department. Even rich people are short of money.

I may use my CPAC machine again. I used to fall asleep at the wheel of my vehicule all the time but not any more. The 6 km drive home from work is through the city. Lots of times I would end up home.....not remembering my drive from work.

I took up playing guitar in 2000. I also learned to play harmonica. I play in a blues band and play every once in a while in bars. When driving, all I need to do is play some blues music and it keeps me awake like nothing else. I also play along to the music with a harmonica.

One time when driving back home from Ontario, I was listening to the same tape. It was a 2 hour tape of Stevie Ray Vaughan. It was the only blues music I had in the vehicle. For 9 hours I listened to the tape and did not feel the slightest bit sleepy. My wife was fed up. When we saw the lights from our home city, she asked if she could listen to a tape of her music. About 30 seconds later, I fell asleep. So, back into the tape player went Stevie Ray Vaughan.....lol.

In the past few years, I rarely fall asleep behind the wheel. I lost all that extra weight, diabetes is near perfect all the time, cholestoral is near perfect, no blood pressure and I can shovel snow for a couple of hours without stopping or portage my canoe etc. I sleep when I feel like it. My problem was the fact that my job interfered with my sleep.

I appreciate your brutal honesty... Quite refreshing!

I can fall asleep in the blink of an eye.. standing, sitting, playing cards it does not matter when... I have never fallen asleep behind the wheel though.. while I am tired @ 1pm in the afternoon I fight through it... but I also have times where I cannot fall asleep... usually because my mind is racing a million miles a minute...

I live a pretty stressful life (Don't we all)... and being tired all the time makes things worse... I am lucky though my boss understands my situation as does my wife...

again I appreciate your post...

Hey and no worries... I nor most here would never look down on someone that needs a helping hand.. Social Assistance is there for a reason.. For those that need it. Be well my friend.

G

Ya, good ol sleep apnea, I went for the sleep test, just a mild to moderate case. I tried the full face mask, for 3 weeks, forget it, most I got was an hour and a half, went back and tried the nose only mask. Even with reduced pressure and no warmth enabled, it was a fight to go more than 2 hours. The funniest thing I experienced 2 times was a bit of overpressure, maybe forgot to exhale and the air went in to my stomach, woke up in a fit, farting and burping like a wild man, darn near hurled up two days of food. That was the end of my trial. I got off the night shifts, got a tempure pedic mattress and feel a whole lot better.

Thank in advance guys

G

My father has one. Says his sleep is definately better much more "pure". As for the mask, I think you get used to it. I can hear the machine running from outside the room sometimes, but again, I'm sure you would quickly get used to it. you'll probably find you don't need as much sleep because the sleep you are getting will be uninterrupted as you're not waking up to catch your breath hundreds of times in a night (unconciously).

Hey Gerritt,

My brother-in-law had the machine and didn’t like it so he had surgery that moved his bottom jaw forward (to open up the airway). It has been hell ever since (a botched surgery, or two now) but he is in constant pain and has been from the get-go. He wishes that someone would have explained it better before he made the decision.

It was a drastic step, so my advice is to give the CPAP some time before chucking it in. Two of my friends have one and it has helped them a great deal. My one buddy brings his on fishing trips, so naturally we call him Darth (Vader).

If it is any consolation, we are all made more or less the same (from the same set of prints) so you are in good company. I think that this is one of those things that someone would like a do-over on.

Good luck

Edited by Radnine

Sleep apnea is typical for the overweight and out of shape... I know you don't want to hear it, but it is the bitter truth. I had it when I was overweight and out of shape... get a diet (low fat) and an exercise program and you will feel much better and be able to sleep like a baby.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Hi Gerritt, I wasn't sure whether to reply or not.

I was diagnosed a year ago with moderate sleep apnea and went for 2 sleep studies. I tried the CPAP machines with a few different masks but, unfortunately, wasn't able to find one I could be comfortable with. My biggest problems were that I couldn't get used to the warm air blowing in - it made the inside of my mask very warm & damp (kind of like breathing through an old plastic Hallowe'en mask as a kid) and the pressure was hard to get used to. Also, because I'm a mouth breather, I had to use a full face mask & I just felt really claustrophobic with it on & had little panic attacks after about 10 minutes.

But, I know of at least 3 people who were diagnosed with sleep apnea, got fitted for sleep masks and are successfully sleeping with the use of CPAP machines & they all say that it has totally changed their lives. They wake more rested, have more energy & don't feel like they're going to doze off throughout the day. I say definitely go for your 2nd sleep lab study - they'll try you with a few different masks to find what works for you. It can totally change your life for the better.

I took a different approach. I quit smoking and am shedding some extra weight, both of which can contribute to sleep apnea. Already there seems to be an improvement, so we'll see what happens. Anyway, best of luck with your sleep study.

DebS

My father in law was also diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and he was fitted with a CPAP machine. He mentioned it took a good week or two to get used to it, but now it's made a huge difference in his life. If you do try it, I'd suggest keeping at it for at least that long. If you cant sleep well with it at first then you're no further behind than you are now....that is chronically tired. I hope you get all this health stuff sorted out buddy....I only with I could do something to help out!

I took a different approach. I quit smoking and am shedding some extra weight, both of which can contribute to sleep apnea. Already there seems to be an improvement, so we'll see what happens. Anyway, best of luck with your sleep study.

DebS

Deb.. try the Breathrite nasal strips. They work wonders like someone turning on a fan in your nostrils. Took me from mouth breathing thru the night to nasal and cut the snoring a tad.

Thanks Wayne, I hadn't heard about using them for that purpose. I'll get some this weekend and try them. As a mouth breather, my throat is always so dry in the morning - definitely worth a shot!

DebS

They have boxes of 10 and 30...and two sizes Small/Med and Large. Presume you'll need the small/med. If you find they work.. buy them in 30's as it cuts the price by 30% or so. As soon as I stick one on I can feel the increase in air flow capacity.

Sleep apnea is typical for the overweight and out of shape... I know you don't want to hear it, but it is the bitter truth. I had it when I was overweight and out of shape... get a diet (low fat) and an exercise program and you will feel much better and be able to sleep like a baby.

i have a bad case of sleep apnea....but i was told it has nothin to do with weight issues....rather than weak neck muscles......but i do admit...the machine does work wonders

Yea I went to the same sleep study that you mention with all the wires and stuff. Found out that I had severe sleep Apnea. Apparently Ill stop breathing for a second or two and then carry on. Dr says that I lose 10% oxygen a night, my problem is the snoring. I don't know how many times I would wake up feeling I just got a boot in the head. Not to funny when your in a defensive sleeping in a trench and having your Commander tell ya get the hell out before I give away the position to the Enemy. Anyways I was given the CPAP and it has stayed under the bed for about three month now. Ive tried it a few times but I always wake up anyways either dry or foaming out the mouth because of the setup. Since getting out of the forces, they abandoned all my medical coverages, hence I was left out. I did see a throat specialist and with in 2 minutes he told me to block one nostril and breath out of the other. I found out that my nostril was partially blocked, the Doc took his hand and placed it beside my nostril and slightly lifted the skin and told me to breathe again and I found out that I had a good unobstructed breath. It took this Dr less than two minutes and he suggested that I get an operation which will cure my Apnea. My problem is that I would be off work for two weeks without pay. One of these days I guess Ill get it looked after.

I've been using a CPAP for 7 years since being diagnosed with sleep apnea (one of the more severe cases), and it's made a huge difference in my life.

Although weight and fitness is strongly correlated as a contributing factor, at the time I was diagnosed, I was an avid cyclist and prior to that, competed at a fairly high level as a middle distance runner. I'm sure that I had sleep apnea long before I was ever diagnosed. It was my wife (fiancee at the time) and our group of friends who noticed the symptoms when we went on overnight trips to go camping, skiing, hiking, etc.

It did take time to adjust to sleeping with the CPAP, but it's made such an improvement, I can't sleep without it now. And although my machine is old and huge and not as quiet as it once was (I really do have to figure out how to get myself one of those small, travel-friendly ones), I bring it with me whenever I'm staying somewhere else overnight (hint -- always bring an extension cord!). My quality of sleep has improved, and with that, my ability to focus and concentrate throughout the day. I wish I was being treated for it when I was going to school -- although I got my degrees, I can only imagine how much more rewarding the experience would have been.

While I can't say that my length of sleep has increased, I can honestly say that it's infinitely easier to get up before dawn for those early starts on the lake!