fish limits transporting question

I fish the Lake Huron area and we have a 2 fish (rainbow) in posession per day limit there..

My question is this:

If i head up to the lake on a Friday for the weekend and catch two bows that same day.. is my fishing over already?

ie: travelling home with the fish in my posession?

Or is there some obscure regulation somewhere that covers this dilemna?

i do have a fridge/freezer at the lake so could I keep them there and then travel back to London on Sunday with the freshest ones over the weekend?

once u have your 2 fish, everything u catch after that must be released. u can still fish after u have ur limit, but u must release any fish caught after u have ur 2 keepers.

in addition, even fish u have at home in a fridge or freezer counts towards ur limit. so, legally if u have 2 fish in the freezer, u are NOT allowed to keep anymore till u have eaten the ones in the freezer.

Wrap'm and catch the purolator depot before it closes. Send them to your wife overnight/sat delivery. :) Then you don't possess them and can go out and catch 2 more Saturday.

Ah, I don't think so Wayne, unless wife has a fishing licence and that info must accompany the fish in transit. Remember it's in physical possession,(like with you in the boat) in transit or in storage.

Oh no arguement there for gifting, but I'm pretty sure if it's in transit, you have to have a name and outdoors card number attached. Almost got boned once taking fish home for someone else until I produced the other guys note with all his required info.

LOL Fisherman.. I was joking.. but seriously you can gift fish to anyone. They do not have to have a fishing licence to possess a fish.. only to catch one.

Comes into play many times via party fishing in particular when guys are filling limits for uncles and beyond...no you dont need a liscense if you bought the fish from a vendor retaileretc...but if caught via angling it still continues to count as your aggragate limit..In other words giving, donating, or beyond your 2 fish means your over the limit...

YET another confusing part of our regulations...soo much for streamlining them

Well I'm not gonna start another piss and moan thread about it, cause if I keep a fish it gets eaten that night for supper. But I did sit on my dock with the local CO during the summer of 2006 and discuss this very fact about a couple boats that fish daily on the lake and keep limits and he told me exactly that. If he gifts them to his wife, his kid, his uncle etc not a damn thing he can do about him fishing the next day and taking another limit.

Back to the question at hand! Depending on the CO... if you even take a picture of your third fish here on Georgian Bay, Bruce Ward will lay a charge for being over your limit as you have Possessed the fish to take the picture. I've listened to his speech twice now about fishing Muskie with a conservation licence and he will charge anyone he sees even taking a musky out of the water to release it on a Conservation licence and with this attitude you couldn't take a picture of an Aurora Trout or a Sturgeon in many places. On the other hand the CO's in the North Bay district don't consider taking a picture and releasing possession.. unless you have to run up to the lodge to get your camera or pass the fish around the boat for different pictures (or to change your sponsor gear!). With their take on things.. you can keep you limit and continue to fish provide you release as quickly as possible... and their interpretation includes allowing pictures (of even OOS fish).

Edited by irishfield

its a strange world one CO has one set of guidelines I have seen a CO ( Im not sure if its Bruce as Im not familiar with him) lay a charge for hanging onto a fish too long for pics and it floped and rolled...and the opposite with a walleye float away with 5 on a stringer......interpretation is I guess 90% of it...I like that feed of fish as soon as they leave water personally......want another feed just go fishing is my motto....

Enjoy those blackflies Wayne, seems the fire ants will be in full force too.....but I ll take both over those pesky ankle biting deer flies

If you catch the fish it counts on your limit even if you "gift it" to anyone else with or without a license. You catch 2 trout and gift them, legally your done till those trout are consumed.

The CO's watch very closely on Simcoe for the passing on of daily trout and whitefish. If your in a group of 4 and you personally catch 4 whitefish and keep them all they can not be counted on other licesnses in your group.

Strange one Wayne

The older CO from Sudbury that rides with Bear Island OPP boat tells a completely different story. Each license catches their own fish for limits no gifting allowed. Some anglers at the camp have been questioned hard last couple of years on the hub as they see the guys out fishing but no wifes. Had them on the dock a couple times talking to guests.

Edited by Fang

Dont want to hijack the thread ... but I have often wondered about the issues transporting a Quebec ZEC limit (of 10 brookies) through Ontario ... anyone had any experience with this ? For background, there is paperwork which gets registered at the ZEC so this may be a little different but whats the ruling if the zone you are traveling in has a lower limit (or for example a slot limit)

Dont want to hijack the thread ... but I have often wondered about the issues transporting a Quebec ZEC limit (of 10 brookies) through Ontario ... anyone had any experience with this ? For background, there is paperwork which gets registered at the ZEC so this may be a little different but whats the ruling if the zone you are traveling in has a lower limit (or for example a slot limit)

I wonder about this one too. This spring, I was icefishing up near north bay for whitefish. The limit is 12 whities per angler with a full license. On our way home with 20 whities between the 2 of us, we stopped by lake simcoe to take a look at the ice breaking up.......then the thought came about.

Here we are.....with 2 pails in the back of the truck.......packed with snow.....full of whities....and the simcoe season was closed!! I could just imagine the look on a CO's face if he pulled up and saw that.....LOL.

How do you prove something like that? I didn't really care....I had nothing to hide......and all was legit, but just imagine the interogation you'd go thru if a CO did show up? You'd better have some good answers!!

Sinker

I agree with Irishfield. If you catch your limit one day and you get home you can give it to a neighbour(he doesn't need to have a license to possess) but you cannot go back fishing that day because you have caught your daily limit. But you can go back the next day and catch another limit because you don't have any in your possession.

if you even take a picture of your third fish here on Georgian Bay, Bruce Ward will lay a charge for being over your limit as you have Possessed the fish to take the picture.

THATS TOTAL Bull if you ask me.

If I want to take a picture of a fish, I will.

I would also GLADLY take that charge to court.

How are people without cradle's or a big enough net supposed to remove the lure from a musky?

Just grab the lure with the pliers and go to town?!?! Thats really good for the fish!

Get charged for taking a picture...hahaha...i have heard it all now.

The CO's interpretation is irrelevant. It is the JP's interpretation that matters. There has never been a successful conviction for anyone quickly taking a picture and releasing the fish other wise anyone caught taking a pic of a musky or walleye or pike out of the slot would be guilty of the same charge. You can't tell if a fish is in or out of slot until you measure it...but it comes under the same law..possession of fish.

As far as transporting through districts with different limits, it is up to the Co to prove you were in violation. Having a reasonable story like coming from an area with an all year season or different limits removes the possibility.

I fish the Lake Huron area and we have a 2 fish (rainbow) in posession per day limit there..

My question is this:

If i head up to the lake on a Friday for the weekend and catch two bows that same day.. is my fishing over already?

ie: travelling home with the fish in my posession?

Or is there some obscure regulation somewhere that covers this dilemna?

i do have a fridge/freezer at the lake so could I keep them there and then travel back to London on Sunday with the freshest ones over the weekend?

I think everyone is misunderstanding the point of the question!!!!

This is how I interperte what you are asking....

If the water you are fishing has a 2 limit possesion then it is a 2 limit possesion, gone are the days of daily and agragate possesion limits. So if you catch 2 on Friday, that is it for keeping them. You can continue C and R BUT if you stick 2 in your freezer up there and take 2 more home to London you are in violation of the law. Your total possesion limit is now 4, 2 over the limit. You may get away with it, but you are still breaking the law, knowling doing so is even worse.

Now if you were fishing on Friday in lake Huron with a two possesion limit then on Satuday moved to a body of water that had a 5 possesion limit you would be entitled to catch an additional 3 fish without breaking the law.

The daily limit is the same as the total possesion limit you are allowed to have.

THATS TOTAL Bull if you ask me.

If I want to take a picture of a fish, I will.

I would also GLADLY take that charge to court.

How are people without cradle's or a big enough net supposed to remove the lure from a musky?

Just grab the lure with the pliers and go to town?!?! Thats really good for the fish!

Get charged for taking a picture...hahaha...i have heard it all now.

The CO's interpretation is irrelevant. It is the JP's interpretation that matters. There has never been a successful conviction for anyone quickly taking a picture and releasing the fish other wise anyone caught taking a pic of a musky or walleye or pike out of the slot would be guilty of the same charge. You can't tell if a fish is in or out of slot until you measure it...but it comes under the same law..possession of fish.

As far as transporting through districts with different limits, it is up to the Co to prove you were in violation. Having a reasonable story like coming from an area with an all year season or different limits removes the possibility.

I agree. I think some people mistakenly believe a CO or police officer's words are law. They are law enforcers, not legal experts. If a law enforcement officer says it's illegal, it is not necessarily illegal. And if an officer lays a charge, it doesn't mean one has committed an offence. Like Stoty, I would have no hesitation in taking a picture of an OOS fish, fish within the slot limit, fish accidentally caught whose species is prohibited from all angling, etc., even in front of a watching CO. Not that I'm a rebel, but it certainly doesn't sound illegal to me and I would fight that charge in court. Of course, I would respectfully not post the picture on here as our mods have politely asked us to refrain from doing so. ;)

In another thread, someone asked what happens if one is unhooking an OOS fish and someone else takes a picture of it. Same act, same intention (i.e. taking a picture of an OOS fish) yet there's no way the latter could get a successful conviction.

Edited by fishinggeek