Well it finally happened!

HTHM

This afternoon I was able to close a deal on a boat. I was able to get a 14' Mattuea fibreglass fishing boat with a whopping 7.5 hp motor. The make i won't say because some "dudes" on the board are a little TOO passionate about the brand of motor they are running.......

Had my maiden voyage today with my wife and youngest daughter and of course our Lab. I have a bunk?? trailer that I think will tip up. Well the fun started when I launched, It took me countless pulls to get the motor going. and then I discovered the arrow on the priming bulb <_<:wallbash: Two pulls later we were off.

As we went down the grand at the breakneck speed of walking pace, I looked at my wife and smiled the biggest smile I have had since the birth of our first child.

Then she took over the tiller for a time and then our youngest took the controls. She enjoyed the sensation of putting the boat into a circle turn at full speed. We on the other hand.....did not. :rolleyes:

Then it was back to shore, dropped off my wife and daughter and dog and that I was off to crush some gobies!

The interesting part was when I had to bring it up on the trailer after the shakedown cruise. Man did I get WET! I have found that in a current it is very difficult to line a boat up over a submerged trailer and KEEP it there while one goes back to the van in order to pull it out of the water. The solution was to bring the boat up to height, winch it to the nose of the trailer, pull ahead so the boat is JUST resting on the bunks, wade out and manhandle the durn thing over the center of the trailer.

I am bringing my wellies next time!

All in all the best time I have had in a long time!

Albert Congrats man!!!! Glad to hear you and the family had a good time out there! I hope you have alot of memorable aboard her!...

As for the loading of the boat.... I had the same issue on Quinte... I will be adding side guides to the trailer this year to help in loading the boat in a cross wind.... Some carpeted 2x's and a bit of aluminium and you have an instant loading assistant!!... When I build mine I will share some pics with you... hell if they work out (I have the vision in my head) I will make two sets :)

G

Congrats on becoming a boat owner, Hometown, it'll open up a whole new aspect of fishing for you & your family.

Take a bit of time to get used to launching and retreiving your boat and you'll get the hang of it in no time as it's really very simple once you've tried it a few times.

If your going to be using that boat ramp in the river with the current alot, Gerritt offers some excellent advice about the trailer guides. They don't cost too much and just bolt on your trailer, but make life lots easier if your trying to load the boat in current or strong cross winds. Just basically drive the boat onto the bunks and the guides will do the rest for you.