New fillet knife suggestions!

MuddyWater

my fillet knife is old and cant hold a edge worth crap and with walleye season coming up combined with the amount of fish i consume i need a good knife. something that can handle a perch or crappie but still be able to fillet good size walleye and trout thanks!!

i just bought storm electric nife from walmart for 10 bucks, its 18 on sale at lebaron, dont know why. but it works awsome. i also have rapala from bass pro, with a blade sharpener on the case. works good but you gotta know how to sharpen perfectrly at 20 degrees.

You can buy excellent fillet knives in one of those small appliance stores for about 10 dollars. You know....those small stores that sell scissors, Victorinox knives, electric shavers, electric mixers etc. Most are very high quality and are used in butcher shops. They don't come with sheaths. They are quite flexible and thin but hold an edge much better than a Rapala.

Rada Cutlery has probably the best fillet knife I have ever laid my hands on. Not sure if you can get it at any local stores, I got mine for Christmas but man, what a knife. Nice flexible blade and holds an edge beautifully. I would recommend this knife to anybody and it's not that expensive as far as knives go.

http://order.radakitchenstore.com/storefro...amp;itm_index=9

Edited by Maverick

Speedy Sharp!! learn how to use it.. and it works wonders I sell it for 11.99 $ & CTC has it on sale for 15.99 i think..

Anyway I have an arsenal of fillet knives and most times end up reaching for my Rapala 6" that I bought at CTC 15 years ago for 14.99$ the next one I'll reach for id my Fiskars 7" kinda soft and can follow any bone-line..

NEVER run you fillet knife through your WILTSHIRE STAYSHARP sharpener :wallbash: :wallbash: ... you've just ruined it!

by doing this you've changed your angle of attack and WILL run into problems following the bone-line and skinning...this is where you can learn to use the SPEEDY SHARP !

Any fillet knife is a good one if you ask me.... you just need to get used to it.

But out of the box...can't go wrong with the classic wooden handled Rapala.

Don't cut yourself... Goodluck !

Randy

Here are two knives I just ordered from Sunrise River. Totally awesome made with the best steel.They are custom made, a friend of mine has one and I also read up on them and they have great reviews. They are not cheap, you can get them made anyway you want. I ordered both these styles with black buffalo horn handles. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to have them made. No sense having good rods and reels and having a cheap knife.You get what you pay for. ;)

101_5.jpg 102_1neoprene.jpg

Two tips, both equally important.

1). Get a good knife, expect to spend more than 6.99. The better the knife, the more fun you will have. Good steel is harder to sharpen, but a good edge is more durable, and you can put a finer edge on it. Softer steel is not worth the short time it takes to sharpen it, imo.

2). Take a few years to learn how to put a good double bevel edge with consistent angles and a fine finish on good steel by investing in good sharpening tools.

I think it's an art to have a razor sharp knife, and a necessity too.

You can also read here.

Well, with all due respect to our honoured members who disagree, I will 2nd and 3rd the electric knife for cleaning Pickereyes... fast, effective and really easy! Once you know what your doing, it's unbelievably quick!

For smaller fish, ie perch and crappies... a small bladed Rapala is the way to go!

HH

Clampit maybe it's because you don't know how to fillet to start with!!!! It takes me about 1 minutes per walleye with the electric and there is no waste.

And I'll clean a limit of crappies in about 20 minutes. used to be 45 minutes.

Edited by wallyboss

I think what Clampit is means is that any knife will do as long as it is razor sharp. I could fillet a fish with a piece of flint if its sharp enough.

Some people like different handle materials, It makes their knife unique and more valuable to them. Just because there are cheaper methods of putting handles on knives dosent mean that you shouldnt buy it. I mean, you "could" put a piece of pine on there but I also like stag bone, desert iornwood, kraton, leather, g10 or micarta. It makes the knife more visually apealing.

I mean, just beacuse there are cheaper methods dosent mean it should be the standard.

for the past few years i've been using a rapala (black rubberish handle) and love it, easy to give a quick sharpen and fairly flexible (gotta use a knife with flex) last spring these knives came on sale at CTC for 9.99 and i bought 5, one in takcle box, one in trailer, one at home, one in truck, and one "all arounder" i used it to butcher a bear and 2 deer this past fall, ( flex worked great for deboning and thin sharp blade was great for removing "silverskin" and cutting steaks) and i have no complaints, i' also have a short blade wooden handle rapala knife which is great for small fish, this one stays sharp longer than the bigger ones

If u learn how to clean a pickeral with cutting thru bones it will also stay sharp longer (and IMO a nicer fillet and quicker to do)

i have a buddy who swears by the electric and have seen him clean fish a few times and it seems to do a good job, if they were to come on sale at a REALLY good price i may by one

Total foolishness, this is what I was talkin' bout.

That's ok fer makin' a gift to someone.

Buffalo Horn handles, you have more money than brains. :blink:

Actually I have brains and plenty of them, thats why I have the money to buy the better things in life. Not my problem if you live in a trailer and can't afford any better.From the way you yap in here it sounds like you have s hit for brains! :asshat:

Edited by LundGuy

I can guarantee my cheap ass rapala will do just as good a job as any expensive knife you can buy.......and more than likely quicker too!!!

Its not the knife that makes the fillet.

Kinda like its not the boat that catches the fish.....:)

Sinker

I can guarantee my cheap ass rapala will do just as good a job as any expensive knife you can buy.......and more than likely quicker too!!!

Its not the knife that makes the fillet.

Kinda like its not the boat that catches the fish.....:)

Sinker

Totally agree, its not totally the knife, but it sure helps to have quality equipment, a better knife will hold its edge longer and make for a better job if you know what your doing. I had your rapala knife, Buck knives and several others. Filleted many fish over 45 years, all of them did a good job, but I can now afford better equipment and thats my prerogative, if I could have afforded better when I was younger , I would have then also. Better tools last longer, you get what you pay for.Also if someone likes to have better quality things in life so what. Whats that to you or anyone else. If a person can afford better boats, rods, reels , knives and does so, that doesn't mean they can or can't fish better or fillet any less or better, but I'd rather have better if I am able. There is no need for anyone to mouth someone in here because it doesn't suit your fancy. To give a sensible opinion is one thing but to be a sarcastic idiot is another. ( Not meaning you) .

I try not to get caught up in the fancy gizmo's........in all aspects of life.....why fix what's not broken?

I don't have top quality fishing gear, but it all works, and I still catch plenty of fish. I have a cheap shotgun, and I kill as much game as the guy with a top of the line model. My boat is old and well used, but it works just as good as a new one. I see no reason to spend money, just so I have nicer things than the next guy....that's all. If you want to blow your money on nice stuff.....have atter my friend!! Its up to you what you do with it. I'm just saying that a rapala knife will do just as good a job.......and save you a few more bucks for other things.......an expensive knife won't make you better at filleting fish though ;) And there are lots of people who think that having the best of the best make them "better". Hence the saying "more dollars than sense". (not meaning you :) )

I'm sure your top of the line knife works great though, and it prolly keeps its edge great too!! :) I'd let you clean my fish with it :P

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Youse guys are JUST SO CUTE!

No one is going to recommend cheap siht, so get over that whole thing. On the other hand, most folks do very well with Craftsman, no need for the SnapOn. Are we done with this?

Can we agree that the real question is how to get them and keep them sharp? Anyone use paperwheels?