exchanging Canadian $ for Euros

kickingfrog

I exchanged several thousand US dollars a short while ago:

-shop the price around. The most competitive prices are usually in Toronto.

-Those X-change kiosks do not have great rates, but, you can negotiate.

-Money Mart type places had the absolute worse rates.

-I got mine at a local bank after some haggling.

forrest

You can always use your bank card while you are in Europe. That way you aren't carrying around all of your cash. You only take out what you need. Check the exchange rate with your bank before you go.

i'd check with your bank though. even then, i'd make sure i had some extra euros... checked with my bank (cibc) and they said i'd be fine in spain / italy.. i took out a whack of euros before i left (thank god) because my card didnt work anywhere over there.. mind you that was a few years ago, so things may have changed..

oh.. and agreed with the above posts, shop around / haggle for the best rates..

Visa MC Amex etc will give you the best rate of exchange. It is converted on your bill. Debit cards second although a lot of institutions over there charge a transaction fee., if you must take large amounts of cash shop a few places for best rate. Remember there is always a buy and a sell rate so they will get you coming and going. The less cash you bring back the better. Remember also that banks will not take coin ( UK denominations under 5 pounds sterling is coin).

Been to Europe a few times over the past few years. Never had a problem using my bank card at an ATM to withdraw euros. You'll get your bank's exchange rate, which is definitely better than money exchange places. You'll probably get a service charge though, so I'd do larger and fewer withdrawals.

And you get a good exchange rate from the credit card companies, I used my credit card for all the bigger purchases (hotel, restaurants, etc.) and used cash only for water, snacks, etc.

Mike

Thanks guys.

We'll be needing spending cash when credit cards aren't an option. My bank loves me a little too hard when I use my bank card out of country (plus I don't think the there will be many banks in the Greek Islands, but I don't know). I was wondering if one bank or an other was known for have better exchange rates, but I guess it's more about what you can get from them.

Plenty of banks on the Greek islands... If I assume correctly you won't be hitting up the villages but rather the more popular islands who rely heavily on tourists for the economy, they want you to have a way to take out money. Thanks for the info guys, cause I needed to know the same thing!

I spent 2 months in Europe and a year in Australia...the most economical and efficient way to take money out is through your credit card at the ATM's over there. They have the best rates you can find. No middle man which saves you money (aside from the 1 euro charge for using the ATM). Don't take out 20 euro's each time though, make it a few hundred at a time and this is the way to go.

Thanks Guys. I'm doing the trout opener with my brother, long standing tradition of course :Gonefishing: , then my last pick-up hockey game :canadian: until fall, then off to the airport and the Greek Islands. The 10 hour flight should allow me to catch-up on my sleep. :sleeping_02: If the flight is less than 10 hours, then a lack of sleep won't really be a big deal. :stretcher:

unless you get the guy who was sitting behind me snoring the entire trip, from just after takeoff in Detroit until about 40 minutes before landing. that's 7 hrs and 5 mins of a 7 hr 45min flight. So much for trying to beat my jet lag!

jjcanoe

Look into the rates for withdrawing at a foreign ATM. I know credit cards use an exchange rate that is the spot rate plus around 2%-4%, and this rate is implied. So you're actually losing quite a bit on the spread. Not sure how European bank machines work, but if that's buried into the transaction, plus the inevitable service fee, it could be expensive. I would get what you think you need before hand, haggling for the best rate, and top up there at a bank machine if you run dry. I would definitely stay away from using your credit card overseas because of the infavourable exchange rate spread they bury into the transaction.