Does Salmon comes to the river system during spring?

bassfighter

I met an angler and he told me that Salmon comes into some river system or at least close to shore casting distance during spring time. I than ask another experience salmon angler about it as well and so far it was our first time hearing this. The fellow seemed to be serious and stated he has 20 years experience fishing the area, and caught Salmon, aside from trout.

Can someone elaborate on this ? True or a Myth?

Around most of the major tribs you can catch silvers (smaller salmon) in the spring casting spoons and body baits. I've been poking around Bronte as it's only 10 minutes from home and there's a few guys down there but not much catching right now. Last year I got into a coupe nice 4-5 lb chinook and 1 coho casting off the breakwall

We used to hook into the odd laker up on the flats on the credit in the spring but never seen a salmon past the rivermouth area

Edited by Fang

The smaller jacks definitely make it within casting distance of shore. Warm water discharge from energy plants and such are also good areas to try. It would be pointless to target them in the rivers as any that make it in there are probably pretty confused.....and there won't be many. But.......breakwalls, estuaries and the like are great places for another couple of weeks to try for some Jacks......I like to toss fry flies out for them.......match the hatch if ya catch my drift!!

In conclusion, on odd cases some salmon do hang around close to the river mouth duirng spring time but will not enter into the river system, they are seen castable distance from shoreline, the reason of being there was not preparing to spawn but to eat smaller fish that might be spawning outside the river.

Thanks

In conclusion, on odd cases some salmon do hang around close to the river mouth duirng spring time but will not enter into the river system, they are seen castable distance from shoreline, the reason of being there was not preparing to spawn but to eat smaller fish that might be spawning outside the river.

Thanks

The Chinooks that I'm seeing are definitely spring spawners.