Talbot Walleye

Walleye Hunter

Was up the the Gamebridge Dam last night and was able to see a few eyes. Still lots of water, but fish should be full on by the weekend. Always an amazing site to see. Some real monsters usually. :Gonefishing:

Been to the Gamebridge many times over last 20 yrs. polarized sunglasses really increases viewing of fish.

Ice fished L. Simcoe where Talbot empties in and caught my PB walleye of 16 lbs nearly 15 yrs. ago.

The season on Simcoe closes there now on March 15th which really protects the walleye population in Simcoe.

Saw many 20 lb+ walleye kept back in the day.

Always thought a world record walleye was swimming in Simcoe.

The record is now recognized as 22 lb. 12 ounces from Greers Ferry, Arkansas. Ontario record is 22.25 lb from Niagara R.

caught in 1943.

Good to plan more of a day for drive there.

Cheers,

ehg

I know im a bit of a newb...

what exactly is this walleye spawn? and how can you 'watch' it? the water is that clear/shallow? It is done by the dams and locks?

this sounds interesting...can someone fill me in?

and while ur at...how the trout 'lifts' work too.. :blush:

a little much to ask i know.. i should make it a thread...

I know im a bit of a newb...

what exactly is this walleye spawn? and how can you 'watch' it? the water is that clear/shallow? It is done by the dams and locks?

this sounds interesting...can someone fill me in?

and while ur at...how the trout 'lifts' work too.. :blush:

a little much to ask i know.. i should make it a thread...

Lots of walleye spawn in rivers, the Talbot River by Gamebridge is an easy spot to see the fish. Imagine the salmon running the rivers in BC. They are packed in there and when the run is high you'd swear you could walk across their backs. And yes the spot is a shallow stretch of the river.

The fish lifts and ladders on rivers are sometimes the same thing, sometimes not. A fish ladder is made at a dam or some other impediment, man-made or otherwise, on a river. The ladder is more of a staircase that makes bypassing the dam easier for the fish. Many of these ladders will have a spot where the fish can be trapped so that they can be counted, weighed, sexed and sampled. Often then the fish are placed by hand (lifted) upstream of the dam. This holding area can be left open to let the fish pass through the ladder if no sampling is taking place.

Hope that makes some sense.

Edited by kickingfrog

Lots of walleye spawn in rivers, the Talbot River by Gamebridge is an easy spot to see the fish. Imagine the salmon running the rivers in BC. They are packed in there and when the run is high you'd swear you could walk across their backs. And yes the spot is a shallow stretch of the river.

The fish lifts and ladders on rivers are sometimes the same thing, sometimes not. A fish ladder is made at a dam or some other impediment, man-made or otherwise, on a river. The ladder is more of a staircase that makes bypassing the dam easier for the fish. Many of these ladders will have a spot where the fish can be trapped so that they can be counted, weighed, sexed and sampled. Often then the fish are placed by hand (lifted) upstream of the dam. This holding area can be left open to let the fish pass through the ladder if no sampling is taking place.

Hope that makes some sense.

Cool.

Thanks for the explanation... its simple enough

Id love to check one of those out one of these days.

Now thats just plain crazy talk. Fish have no legs nor arms,how can they get up a ladder? :D:lol::oops:

Watching a run of any fish is awesome. I can recall watching the runs up at Streetsville,when the bows came up. Man there were some huge fish.

It sure is something to see.

Sinker,

when you go into Gamebridge there is a stone bridge where the Talbot flows under just off HWY 12.There are usually some there staging to go up farther but if you take the next road left (Durham Rd 50 I think)and follow it parallel to the trent canal it takes you right to the dam just before you hit the canal road.Can't miss it cause there's always someone there.

Kerry

They haven't started up here yet there usually on the way out by next week on Georgian Bay usually a week before opener there already done and moving out of the rivers. Still ice but with the warm week ahead it should be in full force soon. It sort of sucks because season opens May first up here and guys will be right at the mouth or in the rivers slaying them before there done. I like when they have a good chance to spawn and get out of the river before the season starts, same for the pike in the bays. I think I'll give it a week after opener before fishing them this year, start off with some crappie instead.

Edited by GbayGiant

Sinker,

when you go into Gamebridge there is a stone bridge where the Talbot flows under just off HWY 12.There are usually some there staging to go up farther but if you take the next road left (Durham Rd 50 I think)and follow it parallel to the trent canal it takes you right to the dam just before you hit the canal road.Can't miss it cause there's always someone there.

Kerry

Thank you sir!!

I guess I didn't go far enough.

Sinker

• 4 years later...

I have never witnessed the Talbot River Walleye run but have heard enough about it. It sounds like its really interesting to see the size and quantities of fish.

I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on the run this year?

I live in Oshawa and want to ensure it has started before I make the trip.

Thanks fellas!