Trophy Muskie -tough question

2 tone z71

after putting the docks in today and looking over the open water thinking about fishing,say I where to catch my Trophy Muskie possibly world record say 60 inch or better,Hey my Dad got a 57 2 yrs ago so its possibly,anyhow my question WOULD IT HAVE TO BE KILLED to be legit for weighing purposes pics verification etc,how would ya go about such a task

I thought there was an article on a released musky from Nippissing last year that was considered for world record status/live release?That would be my choice even though I do buy a sport license just in case I ever catch one and couldn't revive it.

Kerry

Actually Wayne, an old neighbor of mine when I was a kid, is in that mix. His name was Robert Malo. If you look it up, he's just another controversial potential world record holder. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.

The question is easy, the answer is another matter.

I don't know if I ever would keep a record Musky. I don't fish for self-worth.

If someone wanted to keep a record... First, on the boat there is no way to know for sure it is even a/the record (I'd feel even worse if I killed the 2nd biggest musky ever). Second, if you keep it as the O'Brian fish and others have shown, there will be detractors.

Having said that, if the season is open and the angler possesses the proper license he or she has every right to keep said fish. If you don't like that, then get the regs changed and leave the angler alone.

The feeling among many is that the next record musky is going to be caught in a lake that has a catch and release only season, which of course means that it won't be the official record.

Edited by kickingfrog