1. 1. Which Outboard Brand is Best?

• Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Mercury
    • Suzuki
    • Honda
    • Yamaha
    • Other

I was reading about how the E-Tec's are blowing up in the new sleds.

The engines are 4 strokes, but use the same elec and fuel rail.

This is the same technology that the outboards use.

For most people this would not be a concern, but for a guy like me.

That fishes open water in the winter is.

ANSWER HIS; why does BPR always compare there two stroke against 4 strokes.

Does Yammy,Merc and Suk not make a two stroke.

Said I wasn't going to touch this but I find myself discouraged with some of the replies. I was born and raised on Johnsons so I feel sad about some of the replies. Maybe I am a little biased but I would not tell anyone this if I felt it wasn't true. You can look at any engine made and find evidence of engine issues. The E-Tec has not had any more issues than the Mercs or Hondas we sell. Like I stated earlier they are all good engines, especially if you compare them to engines made in years past. Of course the price of all of them has gone up substantially in the same time period.

Have over 300 hours on my 175 "Rude' without a problem. Very good on fuel in comparison to the Honda 130 I ran before, and it was good on fuel too. Don't get me wrong here folks. I'm not advocating you should run out and buy one. All I'm saying is keep an open mind. There are advantages.

Tybo the E-tec in the sled is in fact a 2 stroke. I cant tell you if there is a problem with them as the one demo we have has not too many hours on it yet. It starts and runs very quiet with very smooth power throughout the powerband. We have suggested a couple of improvements in the suspension to BRP for the next years model run but other than that works very well. We have found that it will run 100 mph plus in a 1/8 mile radar run. They also were claiming 25 mpg. We actually got better than that with it. Not bad I would say. I hope they prove to be more reliable than you say. I believe they will.

I was reading about how the E-Tec's are blowing up in the new sleds.

The engines are 4 strokes, but use the same elec and fuel rail.

This is the same technology that the outboards use.

For most people this would not be a concern, but for a guy like me.

That fishes open water in the winter is.

ANSWER HIS; why does BPR always compare there two stroke against 4 strokes.

Does Yammy,Merc and Suk not make a two stroke.

OH WELL if ya read it it must be true,especially on the NET :rolleyes: ,they compare the Etec to 4 strokes cause thats the market there trying to change people over from,Suzuki only makes 4 stroke Yamaha now as well,they could compare the Etec to Mercs Optimax Infact I think they have over and over in bass and walleye magazines

also BRP is the only Manufacture at the moment trying to save the 2 stroke engine,you can rebuild a 2 stroke good luck when your 4 strokes valvetrain decides it dont wanna work anymore its complete powerhead faliure,also the Etec snowmobile is in prototype stage its a new set up on a different engine in different conditions totally of course its gonna have problems

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

Ford/Chevy/Dodge the debate will never be solved...

Carry on.... :jerry::jerry:

The truck debate HAS been SOLVED with the new Toyota TUNDRA. BEST truck I ever had hands down :clapping:

Now about the outboard thing................ I like my 23 year old Johnson VRO 50 hp motor. Great on gas, power and trolls down to 1.5 mph. What more could a man ask for <_<

The truck debate HAS been SOLVED with the new Toyota TUNDRA. BEST truck I ever had hands down :clapping:

Now about the outboard thing................ I like my 23 year old Johnson VRO 50 hp motor. Great on gas, power and trolls down to 1.5 mph. What more could a man ask for <_<

now the truck thing I agree have never seen more Toys on the road since the new truck,boss also has one ,now the big bore 2 cyl 50 being GREAT on gas is another issue

Oops got the 4-tec and the E-tec mix up.

2 tone, Yammy is the big boy on the block for 2 stroke.

They make a 3.3l 300hp.

Didn't know that Suzuki stop making 2 strokes.

I have never said that rude was a bad engine.

I just don't like the way that they say it's the best engine on the market

by comparing it against engines in a different class.

And of course I can't compare my truck against a car with a very large trunk.

Oops got the 4-tec and the E-tec mix up.

2 tone, Yammy is the big boy on the block for 2 stroke.

They make a 3.3l 300hp.

Didn't know that Suzuki stop making 2 strokes.

I have never said that rude was a bad engine.

I just don't like the way that they say it's the best engine on the market

by comparing it against engines in a different class.

And of course I can't compare my truck against a car with a very large trunk.

Evinrude also makes a 300,Suzuki right now is prob my next engine,no prob I just like talking engines,dude bought a Honda thou we should end this lol

IGNORANCE IS BLISS GUYS !! THIS IS WHY I HATE THIS BOARD SOMETIMES.I DON'T CARE IF YOUR BLOODY MERCURY RAN FOR 2000 HRS !! YOUR ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES.THE MORE YOU GUYS COME IN HERE ABND SLAM EVINRUDE THE MORE YOU MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.JUST GIVING GREAT INFORMATION BECAUSE I AM IN THE KNOW WITH ALL THREE MAJOR BRANDS AND LET ME TELL YOU WE HAVE WAY MORE PROBLEMS WITH MERCURYS THAN THE EVINRUDES.AND WHEN WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH A MOTOR EVINRUDE IS BY FAR THE BETTER COMPANY TO DEAL WITH.MY FAVORITE IS LAST YEAR WHEN I HAD A CUSTOMER BLOW HIS POWER HEAD ON HIS 115 HP MERC TWO WEEKS BEFORE WARRANTY WAS OVER AND THE MERC TECH TOLD ME TO TELL THE CUSTOMER WE COULDN'T GET THE PARTS FOR 3 WEEKS.WELL DONE MERCURY TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE (OR LACK OF )YOUR MOTOR CHOICE IS YOUR OWN ALL I AM TRYING TO DO IS HELP PEOPLE MAKE A BETTER DECISION WITH THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY.SO ALL YOU HATERS ENJOY YOUR BLISS AND KEEP YOUR STUPID COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE HERE WHO WILL LISTEN TO YOUR ENDLESS MISINFORMED RAMBLINGS AND GO AND BUY A LESSER PRODUCT. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

My outboard is the best. Why? Because when I turn the key, it starts. When I put it in gear, it takes me anywhere that I want to go.

By the way, my motor is a Merc. I owned an Evinrude once. It was in the shop more times than it was not. Three different Evinrude dealers could not get it working properly. Never again.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. I'm just reflecting on my personal experiences. Take it for what it's worth.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS GUYS !! THIS IS WHY I HATE THIS BOARD SOMETIMES.I DON'T CARE IF YOUR BLOODY MERCURY RAN FOR 2000 HRS !! YOUR ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES.THE MORE YOU GUYS COME IN HERE ABND SLAM EVINRUDE THE MORE YOU MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.JUST GIVING GREAT INFORMATION BECAUSE I AM IN THE KNOW WITH ALL THREE MAJOR BRANDS AND LET ME TELL YOU WE HAVE WAY MORE PROBLEMS WITH MERCURYS THAN THE EVINRUDES.AND WHEN WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH A MOTOR EVINRUDE IS BY FAR THE BETTER COMPANY TO DEAL WITH.MY FAVORITE IS LAST YEAR WHEN I HAD A CUSTOMER BLOW HIS POWER HEAD ON HIS 115 HP MERC TWO WEEKS BEFORE WARRANTY WAS OVER AND THE MERC TECH TOLD ME TO TELL THE CUSTOMER WE COULDN'T GET THE PARTS FOR 3 WEEKS.WELL DONE MERCURY TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE (OR LACK OF )YOUR MOTOR CHOICE IS YOUR OWN ALL I AM TRYING TO DO IS HELP PEOPLE MAKE A BETTER DECISION WITH THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY.SO ALL YOU HATERS ENJOY YOUR BLISS AND KEEP YOUR STUPID COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE HERE WHO WILL LISTEN TO YOUR ENDLESS MISINFORMED RAMBLINGS AND GO AND BUY A LESSER PRODUCT. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

What kind of self respecting motor company builds motors with the HP rating ending in 8??? What's the matter???... can't get another 2 horsepower outta that thing bubba???

Edited by Greencoachdog

Didn't read about the E-tec engines on the net.

The press release was in the Star and the Globe.

The one part of the press release that made me laugh, was that

the Engine only had this problem in adverse weather.

Yep, the weather here in Canada stay pretty much the same all year. :wallbash:

Could of swear I just read that Merc won A Award for costumer satisfaction.

Well, this thread is a lot of fun too! Some really good techie type info on motors. I've learned a lot from this.

Evinrude Dude, you're not being very polite in our community. We're going to take down one of your member names. Should it be this one or the other? Let me know please.

Someone mentioned that you had issues, I agree. I also think that Bombardier Recreational Products will be sending you an email.

Be well....